Sign in to follow this  
Shinbir Majabe

President Hassan views on Amisom and Somaliland

The President discussed with presenter Adrian Finighan on Inside Story together with David Anderson, a professor of African Politics at the University of Oxford and a fellow at St Cross College; and George Saitoti, the Kenyan internal security minister.

On Amisom:

"The central issue is, can Somalia have a functioning state that controls all the different problems. We know that Somalia's problem is a regional and international problem. We cannot solve this as a piecemeal. Expanding troops is only a means to a solution, not the solution, which is a functioning Somali state."

On Somaliland:

"Somaliland has done a lot of good things, they shaped their future and stability, and I'm proud that as a Somali that some Somalis can do what the world thinks that Somalis can't do.. I don't see any reason why we involve Somaliland at this initial stage.. there was a union in 50 years ago, and that union has some problems.. and we need to renegotiate and discuss about the matter.. we don't see any reason why we cannot be united.."

I haven't yet watched the above video clip, only read the quotation from Shinbir. If accurate:

A useful starting point to open the dialogue from...

The challenge is that elements within the TFG umbrella will see 'red' from that starting point and work night and day to create misunderstanding and distrust among the two entities. However, a useful starting point, none the less..

Somaliland has done a lot of good things, they shaped their future and stability, and I'm proud that as a Somali that some Somalis can do what the world thinks that Somalis can't do.. I don't see any reason why we involve Somaliland at this initial stage.. there was a union in 50 years ago, and that union has some problems.. and we need to renegotiate and discuss about the matter.. we don't see any reason why we cannot be united.."

Valid point. Legitimate issues should be discussed but no need not to be united...

Carafaat   

the man is exceptional. He is down to earth, never left the country and knows

reality on the ground and therefor the need of the people.

STOIC   

Although this was before his election it is still safe to believe that newly elected president doesn't believe in a rancor.It is a good start if he keeps thinking like this..IT is a dramatic reversal in course of our resident unionist in SOL.Unlike the people here with the half-baked truth of the reality on the ground it is true that Somalia will definitely need to renogotiate with the authority in Hargeisa. Somaliland indeed created what they have and I doubt they will give up that easilly (and No Abtigis we are not talking about school buildings)...By and large I also doubt Somalia will meet the demands of Somaliland, so the road is long

Jacpher   

How long will the secessionists rejoicing the newly elected president in here have until they start calling him names??

Nothing new. Most sane Somali leaders know SL has done good and deserve credit for the relative peace and stability it achieved over the years but at the end of the day, it can't stand by itself. It needs to negotiate and stay as part of Somalia. The president knows he serves Somalia's interest and that it can't break into smaller pieces. His approach may be different. Yeah so you see there is always going to be a 'but' somewhere in the sentence.

Carafaat   

Nothing new. Most sane Somali leaders know SL has done good and deserve credit for the relative peace and stability it achieved over the years.

Yes, hearing sane leaders from Somalia is new. Your adeero's goverment and his PM Geedi used to threaned SL and tried to paralyze it on several ocassions.

Taleexi   

No more, no less what Hargeisa admin is entitled to. Anything that went wrong in Somalia ought to be solved on the table squarely and justly. The president seems decent guy and deserve our support. History will judge him by his merits.

Carafaat;869167 wrote:
Yes, hearing sane leaders from Somalia is new. Your adeero's goverment and his PM Geedi used to threaned SL and tried to paralyze it on several ocassions.

Remember 1991 Cali Mahdi bala weydiye waxa lugu yidhi woqoyi wa goosteen markasu yidhi afkoooday ka yidhaheen

Cabdiqasim salaad bala weydiyey Somaliland wuxu yidhi aniga u taliyaa far ma dhaqaajin karan

Cabdilahi Yusuf ba yimi Madaxweynaha jamhuuriyada wa imanahayaaa reer hargeysa diyaar garoobaa.

Look at the nice words of the new President 2012 and how he admires the hard work of the people of Somaliland. I am sure the people of Somaliland finally found a partner they can deal with and start a healthy dialogue about the future of both of our countries.

Carafaat   

Xaaji Xunjuf;869192 wrote:
Remember 1991 Cali Mahdi bala weydiye waxa lugu yidhi woqoyi wa goosteen markasu yidhi afkoooday ka yidhaheen

Cabdiqasim salaad bala weydiyey Somaliland wuxu yidhi aniga u taliyaa far ma dhaqaajin karan

Cabdilahi Yusuf ba yimi Madaxweynaha jamhuuriyada wa imanahayaaa reer hargeysa diyaar garoobaa.

Look at the nice words of the new President 2012 and how he admires the hard work of the people of Somaliland. I am sure the people of Somaliland finally found a partner they can deal with and start a healthy dialogue about the future of both of our countries.

Abdiqasim Salad said wax Somaliland la dhaho ma jirto. Yusuf Garad and BBC journalist used to say, gobolada waqooyi ee isla magac baxay Somaliland.

Times have changed indeed. :D

The Sage   

President Hassan only appears to be telling the electorate what they want to hear. Did you expect him to say that he fully supports Somaliland's self determination? Of course not. But that doesn't change the reality that writing is on the wall and that Somaliland's past union is void and null.