Sign in to follow this  
chubacka

Does anyone remember...

chubacka   

Making cassette recordings for family back home before telephone connections were widespread?

I remember we used to record these tapes when someone we knew was going back home. Mum would buy a cassette, everyone would need to be quiet, there would be lots of throat clearing, before someone would press play and record together and in a solemn voice, BismillAllahi Rahamani Raheem, halkan waxa ka hadleysa...waxana la hadleysa...

Haha. Then the, we are okay here, we hope and pray you are okay. I remember being asked to recite Quran on there once. Then you would get a lengthy reply back after months when a different person returned and everyone would sit around and listen to a far off, crackling voice talk about all manner of things. I would love to find one of these tapes.

Ahhh, the good old days, does anyone else remember doing this or other things that we just don't do anymore.

wyre   

I Still Have A Casette from my habaryar Allaha U Raxmadee, She Sent For Me In 2004 While I Was In Mogadishu, How Can I Forget It :D

Malika   

Lol.Yes, I sure do remember them..lol

As recent as 2004, I was given one to bring to a son whom has severed contact with his mother.., the tape captured her emotions very well, writing a letter for her would have not have the same effect. I think they were effective way to communicate, you say what you feel,think without the other person interupting you with their answers..lol

Showqi   

Chubacka, who doesn't remember! in the 80s it was very normal to send audio tapes to family members in abroad. I had uncles and aunts who use to live in Saudi Arabia with their entire family, at least once in 3 months we use to record a cassettes, take some pictures and send to them. It was a way to communicate with the family members you haven't seen or spoken to for months. My Ayeeyo was the one who always organize those audio recordings and she use to encourage us to speak to the cassette recorder:D

chubacka   

^ I know, its a chance to get it all out! I remember on the recordings some different people would come on and say "This is so and so, if my son is listening, tell him we are thinking of him..." They really were powerful.

Wyre thats amazing, ameen. Ng,thanks for the link.

Juxa   

All i remember is being forced to speak.....it used to be such an event, tea will be served endlessly, nice food, extended family will stay till late at night etc

Taleexi   

Wallaahi it was a good feeling when my Dad's voice was heard from those hand-delivered cassettes from Damam, Saudi Arabia!, the response was all impromptu, random salaamo war kaalay hebelow or heblaay salaan Aabbe.

I hope they never ever find those tapes of me speaking. I have a very Horrible,horrible voice recording voice if you will. my voice cracks, i get nervous, i sound frail, i sound babyish(or at least i sounded babyish back then).

Memories,Memories!

We have a box full of those cassette tapes sended in by family. They wouldn't even let me convert their cassette tapes into CD. A CD lasts longer then a cassette tape talk about being old fashioned.

wyre   

Once My Older Brother Was Told To Say Hi To The Family And Ayeeyo He Was Old Enough To Speak Well But When Recording He Was Very Afraid, He Said

"Ayeeyo Aniga Waan Fiicanahay, Adigana Waad Fiicantahay"

I Still Joke With Him About That :D