Sign in to follow this  
Wiil Cusub

Channel 4 British Somalis are sending their children back to Africa (dhaqan celis)

Abwaan   

Malika;839771 wrote:
Abwaan aboowe, they are still a burden to their parents and society at large, ama haa kuu jiraan jails or riding new cars in Somalia - koleyba they dont seem to have learned any lesson.

Malika I agree they are even a burden to us here but change takes time and I wish them good luck.

Malika   

^True - indeed, we wish them all the best. I actually felt sorry for them, they felt they were low class here in UK, thats was enough to erode any sense of self respect or love they have for themselves. I couldnt relate to that, as a diasporan born and bred, we have always had a sense of belonging with our families, community and nation even though we were miles away from Somalia. Marka maa fahmo ciyalkaan qurbaha jooga why feel inferior or low class?

Garnaqsi   

Malika;839858 wrote:
^True - indeed, we wish them all the best. I actually felt sorry for them, they felt they were low class here in UK, thats was enough to erode any sense of self respect or love they have for themselves. I couldnt relate to that, as a diasporan born and bred, we have always had a sense of belonging with our families, community and nation even though we were miles away from Somalia. Marka maa fahmo ciyalkaan qurbaha jooga why feel inferior or low class?

I thought majority of Somalis in UK are from working/lower class?

Blessed   

Aaliyyah;839798 wrote:
You can't send an adult who is 20 plus and expect them to change overnight simply because you ship them to Africa.But, the parents are trying and in the video the man said those parents are in despair so I feel for them. Hope something comes out of it althou it is too late. Discipline your children when they are kids. Don't wake up when they are adults and cry about it.

Well said! Caruurbaa basar la baraa.

Malika   

Garnaqis - economically yes, but why is that translated as how one defines one self ? Working to earn a living, however small is honourable so I dont get the 'poor me attitude'

Unfortunately, the attitude is a shared one among inner city kids, they have already assumed because they come from challenging enviroment [with free house,food,school, hospital] they are 'low' thus why aim high, why have pride or self respect. I work in an inner city school, changing the 'low' self view has been a challenging task so far.

ps.Last summer London riots was the evidence of how corrupted their thinking is [i mean the youth] - causing havoc because they feel someone owes them something, whilst wearing designer gear claiming their not given chances..lol. They should see a 20yr old walking the length of London in Dar es salaams hot afternoon selling socks - now that is a tough life.

Showqi   

*Blessed;839865 wrote:
Well said! Caruurbaa basar la baraa.

Huuno waa maxay basar, Af Soomaaliga waaweyn ha nagula hadlin dee, Walaahi generation, Sujuu iyo deg-cas baa meesha ka buuxa. Cid kelmedaa Basar fahmeeysaa in ay meeshan joogto u maleyn maayo anigu:D

Showqi   
Malika, you get that right....From now on you're not consider Somali-Sujuu. You are fully integrated Somali Hooyo:D

Blessed   

basar - manners. Bilaa basar - no manners. You can't teach an old dog new tricks, gaaldaa Somalida maanta dhaanta when it comes to raising children to become responsible adults.

Malika   

Lol@Showqi - war hedhee afsomaliga naga maa xigtaan despite being qurboo korto ama qurbo jogto..lol

Blessed..indeed.

Alpha Blondy;839770 wrote:
you see that's an interesting statement.

the diaspora community is a mix-bag. the people are varied and consist of a mixture of different abilities and experiences. this is seldom discussed and i feel all the resentment directed at the qurbo community is largely justified becos its usually the ones with nothing to contribute who too often glamorous their western-ness, if such a term exists, despite question marks over their level of integration and relative success where they are from. this usually involves a wide range of characteristics and include but are not limited to: dress, language power dynamics, conduct and general mannerism. they are also usually quite conspicuous and often bask in the glory of their 'foreign passports'. using any given opportunity to mention they're not from somaliland.

my friend recently told of those he named 'xagaayaaga?' he said somaliland is full of those who all too often make references to where they are from. eg. in england we had roads, in england things were done differently, in england most people queued at the banks. while all these traits are very important, i feel these reference are often engendered and performed for 'power-dynamic' reasons.

since somaliland successes are incumbent upon all of 'us', i feel no one should come here with sense of 'entitlement' as i've observed in many of my friends. i always preach consciousness, self awareness, positive interaction, respect for local values and customs and consistency at all times.

Well said mate.

Aaliyyah   

Showqi lol macnaha basar waan aqaan walaal. I thought it was an established fact that my somali is off the hook :)

Haa blessed ilmaha yar waa in ay somaalidu ku dadaasha say bari dhalinyaradoodu uga halaabin. Halakanba 30 bay kor u dhafeen dhowaan inama kuligood naftooda u waayey mala yacni iyo wax daran in ay faraha la galaan. Mana aha dad iska lumay ee waa dad yagoo yar jidki wanaagsana ka leexday. Ilaahay hano sahlo hadaan soomaali nahay. 20 sano aya dhibtan badan naso gadhay..I can only imagine few generations down the road.

Showqi   

Aaliyyah, mar hadii aad macnaha ereygaas garaneyso khalaas Af Soomaaligii waa khatar. Mar danbe in aan adiga Af Soomaaligaaga wax ka sheego lagama yaabo:D