Sign in to follow this  
Somalia

Are there any leopards left in Somalia?

World leopards distribution.

leopard_distribution.gif

.....The leopards are dispersed over a wider area today, than that of any of the other large cats. Ranging across most of the African continent, with the exception of the Sahara Desert rgeion. Throughout parts of Asia Minor and the Middle East to India, Pakistan, China, Siberia, much of mainland southeast Asia, and the islands of Java and Sri Lanka.

The size of the leopard varies greatly in different geographical regions. There are subspecies of large leopards in Iran and West Africa and small subspecies in Somalia and Java. The leopard averages between five and eight feet in length and weighs from 60 to 210 pounds in the wild. Distribution of the leopard reflects the diverse adaptability of the group, extending throught the African continent and much of southeast Asia, including the Arabian peninsula and Indonesian islands. It is at home in woodlands, lowland forests and mountain heights, savannas, and even dry steppe habitats. The leopard's remarkable adaptability to different environments is an indication that it is basically an unspecialized animal, favoring forest and forest boundary habitats where it can utilize trees for protection and observation platforms........

Coofle   

The only and last time aan Lo' Xerriyo ayaan arkay Harimacad "Leopard" degaankuna waxa uu ahaa Buuraha Dhuxunka (part of Golis) ee dhinacaa iyo gubanka...The first time I have seen harimacad and we killed her...waayo iyada ayaa kacsanayd oo dhal baa meesha u joogtay... dhashiina bartii baan kaga nimid...But I have seen leopards in hargeisa the last time I was there (last year)

Somalia   

Interesting thanks. So are they rife in the wild?

What other large mammals do we have in the country? Information out there is no good as it's old.

Coofle   

Somalia;839143 wrote:
Interesting thanks. So are they rife in the wild?

What other large mammals do we have in the country? Information out there is no good as it's old.

Right now..Waraabe "Hyena" is the King of the Somali Jungle... wixii kale waa dabar go'een..My grandmother told me she lived to see last Elephants in northern Somalia in Dibirawayn Valley...

You are right about it being the national symbol and I quite like it :D

The cheetah is the fastest animal of the whole world and animal kingdom. It's common to mistake a leopard for a cheetah but there is simple easy trick to differentiate between the two. Cheetahs are slimmer and tall and leopards are heavier and shorter. It's my favorite animal.

So Somalia why the sudden interest in the leopard. Are you planning to go on Safari?

wyre   

Cheetah Are Heavier Yaa Blu And Leopards Are Thinner And Taller, Waad Isku Khaladay Haddaba :D

wyre   

Coofle;839171 wrote:
Right now..Waraabe "Hyena" is the King of the Somali Jungle... wixii kale waa dabar go'een..My grandmother told me she lived to see last Elephants in northern Somalia in Dibirawayn Valley...

There Are Also So Much Doonfaarro In Somalia Those Kind Of Metal Head :D

wyre;839193 wrote:
Cheetah Are Heavier Yaa Blu And Leopards Are Thinner And Taller, Waad Isku Khaladay Haddaba
:D

No no wyre you're wrong. I've done a written work about this years ago and I have a good memory. The Cheetah is slim and tall that's why he can run fast he doesn't have that excessive fat like a leopard or a lion. You can't be the fastest animal in the world and be heavy the two don't go together :D

wyre   

Bluelicious;839202 wrote:
No no wyre you're wrong. I've done a written work about this years ago and I have a good memory. The Cheetah is slim and tall that's why he can run fast he doesn't have that excessive fat like a leopard or a lion. You can't be the fastest animal in the world and be heavy the two don't go together

What Is Cheetah In Somali Horta

And What Is leopard In Somali

The Other Thing Why Would I Be An Animal While I Am proud Ibn Adam :D

wyre;839207 wrote:
What Is Cheetah In Somali Horta

And What Is leopard In Somali

The Other Thing Why Would I Be An Animal While I Am proud Ibn Adam

You're asking the wrong person if you wanna know the Somali translation. Wyre where did I write that you were an animal I was talking about the two animals you misunderstood me.

Ps; look how fat that leopard is in the above picture of this thread which only proves my point.