Sign in to follow this  
ugaas Ali

‘Istanbul’ a common name for Somali girls

Istanbul is now one of the most common names given to Somali girls, the executive director and founder of Worldwide Somali Students & Professionals (WSSP) said in a written statement sent to Hürriyet Daily News.

Praising Turkey’s aid efforts in Somalia, Kasim Mohamed Ali said Somalis show their generosity and friendship to Turkey by naming their girls ‘Istanbul.’ “Few people know, but Istanbul is now among the most common names given to Somali girls. All of this reflects a deep sense that the relationship between our two countries is one of mutual respect and mutual support,” he said in the statement.

“We are grateful for the assistance of the Turkish government and Turkish people in our time of need and we are proud to say that Turkey is Somalia’s truest friend. When I recently met Dr. Kani Torun, the Turkish Ambassador to Somalia, he welcomed the work we are doing in Somalia and we look forward to working with him in Mogadishu,” he said.

The WSSP is a non-profit organization with charitable status with headquarters in London and branches across Europe in Germany, Norway, Sweden and Denmark, along with branches in Ohio, Texas, Washington and Minnesota in the United States, in the United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia and Qatar in Asia, and in Somalia, Egypt, and South Africa in Africa.

The organization reaches a combined total of well over 50,000 individuals and has ambassadors in every major continent of the world, according to Mohamed Ali. “We are the only global Somali youth organization that represents the interests of Somali students and professionals around the world,” the executive director defines the organization.

The organization was among the first non-profit organizations to respond when Somalia was hit in August 2011 by the worst drought the country had seen in 65 years.

They also conduct projects in the fields of agriculture, healthcare and education.

Aaliyyah   

naming girls after cities is not a new phenomenon. But, it is not something I am for it either..no i personally cant imagine someone with the name Istanbul lol..But, yeah as Somalis we are all grateful to Turkey for stepping up and helping Somalia.

Aaliyyah;837658 wrote:
naming girls after cities is not a new phenomenon. But, it is not something I am for it either..no i personally cant imagine someone with the name Istanbul lol..But, yeah as Somalis we are all grateful to Turkey for stepping up and helping Somalia.

Aaliyyah i'm laughing not because it's funny. but the thought of meeting a somali woman name Istanbul. by the way, this video is for you:

Wadani   

Why do africans always defer to non africans. Why are they always overwhelmed and in awe of others?

Somalis should be grateful to Turkey, but not At the expense of their honour and identity. Personally im against using all non somali names, even arabic ones, unless they're well known islamic names. eg names of Allah, Prophets & khulafaa ar-raashidiin.

Can u imagine an Arab named Mahad or Cawaale, or a Turk named Moqadishu?

Wadani;837676 wrote:
Why do africans always defer to non africans. Why are they always overwhelmed and in awe of others?

Somalis should be grateful to Turkey, but not At the expense of their honour and identity. Personally im against using all non somali names, even arabic ones, unless they're well known islamic names. eg names of Allah, Prophets & khulafaa ar-raashidiin.

Can u imagine an Arab named Mahad or Cawaale, or a Turk named Moqadishu?

we don't need any foreign names including arabic..you could be muslim & still called Warfa.

we lost our names & culture long time ago,time to rehash.

Juxa   

That is boodhhsh!t

Istanbul was very common name from late 60s to 70s. Just like Roma, baarliin(Berlin), falastiin, istarliin etc

Turkey has been helpful but in the long run, what will their generosity cost us?

Coofle   

Juxa;837709 wrote:
That is boodhhsh!t

Istanbul was very common name from late 60s to 70s. Just like Roma, baarliin(Berlin), falastiin, istarliin etc

Turkey has been helpful but in the long run, what will their generosity cost us?

Exactly that is why my current Better is called by this name...Nice Explanation...

Juxa   

Well I won't recommend a child to be named after a city waqtigan la joogo

I have done plenty of name change by deed poll in fact some I would wave my fee

Narniah   

My moms friend is called Istanbul, so I don't think this name is new to us Somalis.

I love Istanbul the City too.

Blessed   

I know someone who considered calling his unborn child Istanbul because his beloved Liverpool won the Champs league there. He argued that Steven Gerard would be frowned upon.. :D :D

Anyway, well done to WWSP. :)