Sign in to follow this  
burahadeer

Miami man shot dead eating man's face!

Miami man shot dead eating a man's face may have been on LSD variant

Witness describes incident as 'really, really horrific' as police and doctors suggest attacker was on drug called bath salts

Share 2717

Email

Richard Luscombe in Miami

guardian.co.uk, Tuesday 29 May 2012 13.56 EDT

Traffic on Miami's MacArthur causeway, is backed up Saturday during the police investigation. Photograph: Marsha Halper/AP

A man shot dead by police as he ate the face of another man may have been under the influence of a potent variant of LSD called bath salts, investigators believe.

Homicide detectives looking into Saturday's gruesome incident on a Miami causeway suspect that Rudy Eugene, 31, may have overdosed before chewing on his victim's lips, ears, eyes and nose and ripping off strips of flesh with his teeth.

An eyewitness said that Eugene was "like a zombie", tearing off almost all of 65-year-old Ronald Poppo's face and growling like a wild animal at an officer who shot him.

Eugene was naked and Poppo was wearing only a shirt when police arrived, possibly a result of the delirium-inducing drug, which is similar to cocaine and other forms of LSD. It can raise users' body temperature significantly and make them feel they are burning up inside.

"When a person has taken all of his clothes off and become violent, it's indicative of this excited delirium that's caused by overdose of drugs," Armando Aguilar, head of the Miami Fraternal Order of Police, told the city's WSVN news.

"What's happening is, inside their body their organs are burning up alive."

Doctors at Miami's Jackson Memorial Hospital, where Poppo remained in critical condition on Tuesday, support the theory of drug-induced psychosis to explain Eugene's bizarre behaviour.

Paul Adams, an emergency room doctor, said that synthetic stimulant drugs such as bath salts, named for its powdery substance, can make users feel invincible and give them superhuman strength, but can also trigger aggression, extreme paranoia and hallucinations.

"It's the new designer drug," he told the Guardian. "It causes a state of excited delirium, raises the body temperature and causes irritability and confusion, which is heightened when combined with a lack of adequate hydration. You find yourself not making sense, and you don't control your emotions or your actions."

Bath salts, an increasingly popular drug, are responsible for rising numbers of hospital admissions and calls to the American Association of Poison Control Centers, which leapt from 304 in 2010 to more than 6,000 in 2011. A single fix for inhalation can be obtained for as low as $15, drugs experts say.

Eugene, who had a number of arrests for marijuana possession and one for assault, and Poppo, who also had an extensive history of arrests, were homeless and living on the streets close to the MacArthur causeway where a cyclist saw them fighting and called police.

An officer who arrived quickly at the scene opened fire after Eugene ignored a command to leave the other man alone.

Detective William Moreno of the Miami police department said homicide detectives were trying to piece together the events leading up to the attack. Eugene, he said, continued to chew on his victim's face even after he was shot, and it took five further shots to disable and kill him.

Security video from the adjacent Miami Herald building showed the victim writhing in agony after Eugene was dead.

Larry Vega, the cyclist who called police, gave a grisly account of the encounter and said he may seek counselling to help him get over what he saw.

"The guy was like tearing him to pieces with his mouth, so I told him, 'Get off!'" he told WSVN in an interview. "He just kept eating the other guy away, like ripping his skin. The police officer came over, told him several times to get off, and an officer climbed over the divider and got in front of him and said: 'Get off!'

"He told him several times and the guy just stood his head up like that with a piece of flesh in his mouth and growled. The guy, he was like a zombie, blood dripping. It was intense.

"The closest thing I've seen to it? The Walking Dead. I never thought I would see someone eating someone. It was really, really horrific."

Former classmates of Eugene, who graduated from North Miami Beach High School in 2000, were surprised to learn he was involved, remembering the former American football player as a polite man always willing to help somebody in need.

"The Rudy we know was a nice gentleman with a warm smile and funny. He's not like that at all," Victoria Forte told the Miami Herald.

Javier Ortiz, the Miami police union's vice-president, told The Guardian: "It's the most bizarre thing I've ever come across, to see the condition of this poor man who has had his face completely eaten.

"We don't know what drugs he might have been on or whether the guy was mentally ill, but there's no doubt had the officer not shot the man, the victim would have died, and there'd have been a good chance the subject would have turned on the officer."

^^ It could be one that causes hallucinations like mushrooms for example. Probably he saw the man as a piece of meat he could eat I guess as result of his hallucinations lol.

Bluelicious;836312 wrote:
^^ It could be one that causes hallucinations like mushrooms for example. Probably he saw the man as a piece of meat he could eat I guess as result of his hallucinations lol.

Thats what i meant dee marqaan waalan weeye

Showqi   

This story reminds me an incident which happened about four years ago

Decapitated bus passenger, man was 'totally calm' during attack

BRANDON, MAN. - A young man travelling on a Greyhound bus was stabbed to death and beheaded by a stranger in a horrifying act of apparently random violence.

The incident occurred on a bus travelling from Edmonton to Winnipeg just before 10 p.m. Wednesday.

A man of about 18 who was sleeping with headphones on was attacked by his seat mate, according to the man who sat in front of them.

He was stabbed repeatedly with a large hunting knife, sending blood spraying across the interior of the bus. The driver quickly pulled over and passengers fled out the front door.

The attacker then sawed off the victim's head and carried it to the front of the bus.

The two did not apparently know one another. The victim boarded the bus in Edmonton, one witness said, and the attacker boarded in Manitoba.

A standoff with police ensued until about 1 a.m. local time.

A 40-year-old man was taken into custody.

Garnet Caton, 26, was sitting in the seat in front of the attacker.

"I was just reading a book and all of a sudden I heard a guy screaming. I turned around and the guy sitting right beside me was standing up and stabbing another guy with a big Rambo knife," he said.

"Right in the throat. Repeatedly."

The man wielding the knife had a shaved head and was wearing sunglasses, he said.

"He looked totally calm. He didn't say a word I don't think to anybody on the bus ... nothing. Just totally calm."

Mr. Caton said most passengers were sleeping at the time and didn't realize what was happening.

"I screamed 'stop the bus!' ... Everybody got the hell off, and people at the front of the bus didn't really understand what was going on. It almost turned into a trample scene there, everybody trying to get off the bus. But the guy didn't care at all. He wasn't concerned with anybody but the guy he was stabbing.

"The guy was totally calm. When he brought the head he looked at us and dropped it. It was like he was having a day at the beach. He couldn't be bothered by anything else."

You can read here the rest of the story: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/article700732.ece

grasshopper;836319 wrote:
^or this is the beginning of a zombie apocalypse! (I watch too many movies
:P
)

There are real cannibals out there you better watch out. I'm freaking scared of cannibals.

Aaliyyah   

Eewww- this makes me shiver!

Showqi, you know what sometimes I sleep when I am on the bus - that is probably not a good idea right LOL..I just assume everyone is normal...you never know! hada ka dib waan feejignaan

Wadani   

Dad qalatooyinkii Soomaaliya joogi jiray waxay sheegeen in hilibka dadku cadka kale ka macaan yahay , tolow warkaas maxaa ka jira lol.