Sign in to follow this  
Carafaat

Why a Unitary Somalia is the best option for Somalia

Mario B;831174 wrote:
This thread has left me confused, is XX supporting a democratic decentralized unitary state of 18 regions of Somalia from Ras Kamboni to Loya Ado?
:D

Interesting to see how Xaaji Xunjuf wiggles himself out of this question :D

Unity is good, we are all for the union and Somalia needs to be united. One needs to understand that federalism does not mean disunity, in fact one can argue that, that the best form and the most effective unitary system is federalism, that's why America is federal and called United States of America.

United we stand - that's our slogan.

^There is no clan problem or tribalism in Somalia, its in your mind, these were factors used and exploited by warlords to achieve their end gains.

You must learn how to differentiate political opportunism and realm and huger of governance and a properly working system for the destitute and the long suffering Somalis. Those poor people have no clan, they were taken advantage of, no clan has got to any better life or made them special.

The conflict in Somalia can hardly be described as clanish but foolish, people of the same clan have fought and killed each other and fought bitterly more than what you percieve as the rival clans. Look back and ponder the wars in the south, north west or north east even examine the little skirmishes of recent times.

Mario B   

Qandalawi;831215 wrote:
^
There is no clan problem or tribalism in Somalia....

I stopped reading the rest of the comment after those first words...

^No one is forcing to you read, also you must remember people have different opinion and view points. You must learn how to appreciate that and agree to disagree.

Qandalawi's argument is subclans fought well that is also a major problem subclans in galguduud can't agree to share one federal clan state lets say the bigger habar gangster clan in galguduud doesn't feel the need sharing a qabil mamuul with the other sub clans of the Habar gangster clan. How the hell will clan federalism work? What about Jubaland they belong to the same clan but different subclans but can't agree on Jubaland azania or juba state please share with me how you going to solve this matter.

^Hence this is not about tribal or clan, the whole thing is madness, this madness can not be addressed by making a lamb some conclusion.

My point was simple, federalism does not mean disunity, the naive amongst believe that, unity and federalism go hand in hand.

As for the Somali conflict, whether its clan based or not is another debate, this needs scientific debate.

Mario B   

Qandalawi;831233 wrote:
^Hence this is not about tribal or clan...

You're right it's about sub clan and sub sub clan or as they say politics of kinship that's gone wild and federalism will just exacerbate it.

^Well if I disprove that again your will go down the line of sub sub sub sub clan, its fruithless to go down that route and its pity to be narrow minded. My argument was the whole clan issue was the fuel of few men, whether it be the bigger clan or sub sub sub sub clan and even an alliance of rival clans or other ideological based alliances to prolong the Somali civil war. So my point was lets not be simplistic and not concentrate on the fuel, the clan or the sub sub sub foctor (or all other factors that varied) but the root cause.

Mario B   

Qandalawi, the root evil is clanism and every opportunist has taken advantage of it, wether seccesionists [somaliland], stealth secessionists [ puntland] Shaababist, War lords, Xabashis, the lot...and clan federalism will just give legitimacy to this madness. A unitary decentralised state of 18 regions is what Somalia needs....I am fed up with every tuulo having a president. :D

Abdul   

Qandalawi;831243 wrote:
^Well if I disprove that again your will go down the line of sub sub sub sub clan, its fruithless to go down that route and its pity to be narrow minded. My argument was the whole clan issue was the fuel of few men, whether it be the bigger clan or sub sub sub sub clan and even an alliance of rival clans or other ideological based alliances to prolong the Somali civil war. So my point was lets not be simplistic and not concentrate on the fuel, the clan or the sub sub sub foctor (or all other factors that varied) but the root cause.

The few men who fuel the clan issue are still there and some infact call themselves 'president' of a 'state'.Now they want to derail the peace process.

ElPunto   

^Hehe - dagaal ba ka radinaysaa!

Federalism is about a model where people agree to govern themselves on a set of shared principles. The problem isn't clannism or people having different clans, sub-clans etc but there are no or few shared principles. Added to shared principles is a legitimate, transparent and fair political process. If tuulo hebel is assured of funding and tax money regardless of who is in power - they are less likely to listen to their local caloosha u shaqaysteyal campaign, using a clannish prism, on their local grievances. It's time to move on from simple formulations for a future Somali state.