Sign in to follow this  
aero

Game of Thrones

aero   

Hopefully I can find a member or two who've read the series and are watching the episodes on HBO. If so, does the whole plot of kingdoms detaching themselves from the union of kingdoms and the idea of each leader declaring rights to the iron throne remind you a lot of the problems facing Somalia?

In our case, we'll just call our future series Game of Kursi.

Haha, that is a good one... i haven't read the books, but i am obsessed with the show.

As far as the correlation you made, i find it interesting... do elaborate some more please lol

Marksman   

That show is amazing. I haven't read the books, but I've heard the books are very good as well. There's just a lot of random sex, incest etc going on which doesn't really do much for the story. But perhaps it is to show the decay of morality in the kingdoms.

There is very little loyalty to the main kingdome which could relate to the lack of nationalism in Somalia.

They do know how to keep us captivated even after Rob Stark's tragedy.

Narniah   

Is there a woman with pet dragons slowly working her way across the desert, waiting to cross the ocean and reclaim Somalia as her sovereign kingdom?

Somalia   

Narniah;828772 wrote:
Is there a woman with pet dragons slowly working her way across the desert, waiting to cross the ocean and reclaim Somalia as her sovereign kingdom?

Yeah she's from Puntland.

Chimera   

I read the books and the novelettes, and the similarities with present-day Somalia, are just patterns of instability, decentralization, fiefdoms, powerstruggles, ambitious individuals, etc. It doesn't matter if you read A Song of Ice and Fire, or the Warring States period of Ancient China or Feudal Japan, you will find the same human patterns. The moment there is complete peace across Somalia, the similarities will lessen until they are non-existent.

Narniah;828772 wrote:

This had me cracking up.

As for similarities, all societies, ok maybe some, went through a feudal era: Rich land owners would fight for prolonged periods of Time and slowly society would coalesce around one leader and then lead to a state. This is the inspiration of game of thrones. Somalia was never a feudal state, in fact it could be said the pre modern society that existed before colonialism and the Somali state was a one of the most equalitarian.

uchi   

I wonder which house you guys would belong to~ myself house of Stark, naturally~

House STARK - Winter is Coming

House TARGARYEN - Fire and Blood

House BARATHEON - Ours is the Fury

House LANNISTER - Hear Me Roar

House ARRYN - As High as Honor

House GREYJOY - We Do Not Sow