Sign in to follow this  
aero

Going Outside Your Comfort Zone

aero   

I've noticed many Somalis are very hesitant in trying foods from other cultures especially foods from Far East Asian cultures. What have you tried that is deemed "weird" in the Somali culture that you've actually liked?

As for me, I enjoy Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean and Cambodian foods...among others. And as for "weird", it has to be a tie between having ox tail and raw living octopus tentacles. What about you?

Malika   

^You want to tell me Somalis that eat sea food arent Somalis?

I am comfortable with Skandinavian[fish dishes] Indian, Mediterenian,Arabian, African [ no monkey business though] food - but chinese iyo Japanese somehow hasnt tickled my fancy - cant see myself eating Sushi.

i dont like asian food...it stinks!! same asian gals hair awful fish smell...i used to cover my head with pillows !! lol. I live medi foods, indian or my own. I had somali food 2 weeks ago...its was good though. Tonite i had following:

fried Alaskan Solomon fish, Guacamole, and mexican corn tortilla bread with washington pure apple juice. i am full.

Coofle   

Malika;826029 wrote:
^You want to tell me Somalis that eat sea food arent Somalis?

Culturally Somalis Don't like Poultry or Sea food,,I am Talking about the Classical Typical Waranle with his camels,,,There might be variants (e.g Dadka ku nool Kismaayo ilaa muqdisho eat malaay) but I recall once I was in a village on the coast and I have met few senior citizens who were claiming they have never eaten Fish and they lived by the shore all through their lifetimes.... it was referred as to "Inferior food" same as "rabbits, Gazelles, Dikdik etc or Hunting generally" ... There was this drought "abaar" people have eaten rabbits and dikdik "Sagaaro" to stay alive guess what was the name of that drought "Abaartii bakayl-qalad" ....

On poultry, I will qoute a song by the somali lo' jir "Cowboys" sing when they take their cattle to the well....

Kaalintaan dago

een darka ahayn

hadaan doorsado

inta duushiyo

duufka maan cuno

he is comparing eating poultry to eating the stinking dead...

NB...We are not talking religion here, it is culture don't bring religion into this plz

wyre   

Coofle;826036 wrote:

On poultry, I will qoute a song by the somali lo' jir "Cowboys" sing when they take their cattle to the well....

Kaalintaan dago

een darka ahayn

hadaan doorsado

inta duushiyo

duufka maan cuno

he is comparing eating poultry to eating the stinking dead...

Dhameystir sxb, I really like heesaha lo'leyda iyo geel-leyda soo much :D

I didn't expect this thread to be about food.

I love Greek and Mexican food. The weirdest thing I ate that actually tasted good was roasted scorpion I didn't have no choice I didn't want to offend my Chinese friend.

Coofle   

Bluelicious;826237 wrote:
I didn't expect this thread to be about food.

I love Greek and Mexican food. The weirdest thing I ate that actually tasted good was roasted scorpion I didn't have no choice I didn't want to offend my Chinese friend.

Is that Halal?..

Coofle;826240 wrote:
Is that Halal?..

I don't know I hope it's halal otherwise I have a problem. Would that make me guilty even if I didn't know at the time? Isn't it all about the intentions you had when you did the act in Islam.

wyre   

Waa inaad iska soo matajishaa waxaas, 3 maalmood oo xiriir eh mantag illaa beerku ku caddaado:D

Anyway I had a feeling for you laakiin haddaadba Scorpion cuntay, Xeeraa kaa yaallo :D

wyre;826255 wrote:
Waa inaad iska soo matajishaa waxaas, 3 maalmood oo xiriir eh mantag illaa beerku ku caddaado:D

Anyway I had a feeling for you laakiin haddaadba Scorpion cuntay, Xeeraa kaa yaallo
:D

Looooooool. That's nasty.

Too late for that its been digested and left the body long time ago. Sweet of you that you like me. People suffering from boulimia do that all the time make themselfs throw up after each meal that's sick but it's an eating disorder.

aero;825958 wrote:
I've noticed many Somalis are very hesitant in trying foods from other cultures especially foods from Far East Asian cultures. What have you tried that is deemed "weird" in the Somali culture that you've actually liked?

As for me, I enjoy Thai, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean and Cambodian foods...among others. And as for "weird", it has to be a tie between having ox tail and raw living octopus tentacles. What about you?

The only thing i have ever eaten outside of my comfort zone was a Mamba aka corocodile. I can handle Shrimp and fish laakini anything beyond that-wont touch it with a six foot pole. Vietnamese and thai food are OK. Korean cunadooda iska dhaafe, laba qof oo Korean live uma arkin weligey(so yeah,no Korean food for me). Cambodia haaba sheegin.

Baris,Baasto,Canbulo and Canjeero-I am all set homes.

Showqi   

aero;825958 wrote:

No! Please no Cambodian, no Vietnamese food for me. War kuwaasi cunto nah leh ma cunaan! waxay cunaan Xasharaadka iyo Cayayaanka. No thanks I will stick with my baasto iyo bariis maybe chicken fried rice, sushi or a Salmon. Wax aanan garaneynin ma cunno anigu Adeer.....:D

wyre   

Faarax mamba cought from webi muu ahaa mise from Badda,

A friend of mine told me "Once I was prissoned, They used to give us hilib doonfaar" So long I had no other choice, waan iska cuni jiray buu yiri,

qof sol kujira oo Hilib doonfaar cunay ma idinku jiraa :D:D