Sign in to follow this  
burahadeer

Indian somali words.

The word "garee" is indian but when somalis use it only comes with english words:

drive garee

run garee

cook garee

draw garee

mix garee

use garee

the word "wale" is also indian and look how it used:

qaadwale..... qaadle(in somali)

adhiwale ..... adhiile(in somali)

gaadhiwale..... gaadhiile(in somali)

dukaanwale..... dukaanle(in somali)

also Badhasaab(indian)

laangadhe(indian)

sooo add some

Sambuus-Sambuus

Baaji--- Somali Bajiyo I think!

Sabuun-- Saabuun. Also Sabun is the Chinese word for soap according to my Chinese friend.

Ajanabi- Ajanabi stranger although this is an Arabic word!

GaroweGal;814816 wrote:
Sambuus-Sambuus

Baaji--- Somali Bajiyo I think!

Sabuun-- Saabuun. Also Sabun is the Chinese word for soap according to my Chinese friend.

Ajanabi- Ajanabi stranger although this is an Arabic word!

Kuwaan waa wada Carabi, Hindida iyo Bakistaanta naftirkooda kasoo deensaday Carabiga.

Hindi & Urdu r the same thing @ about 80%. Also, these words are used by somali's, Indians and some arabs like yemenis.

jariyaada, kooli, dilo, fataal, qaadhi, iskari

Skeptic   

So did they borrow these words from us? or did we borrow the words from them when they used to come to Somalia for trade? Because Somalis never really went to India in big numbers. Rather it was the indians that used to come to Somalia. We can understand why Arabic and Italian dominate the Somali language and culture but where do we get the mix of India. For some reason, we (as Somalis) tend to see ourselves to be inferior to other cultures and ethnicities when we are infact superior for the most part.

gaariwale or gaadiwale means the owner of the car!! I came from family of truck drivers...thats why i have siblings from all corners of somalia. Ole man.. did know how to use xiga!! I asked him one time why he has all these kids...N i suggested to him that I would have been so rich if i was the only child.

That got me shipped to Broading schools from 4th grade till uni. Smelly ya later pops.

We can understand why Arabic and Italian dominate the Somali language

Dominate? Oh, baliis.

Ereyo afaf kale waa lala wadaagi karaa. Waa iska caadi. We have words we share with afka Sawaaxiliga too, words like hoodi hoodi, jiko.