Sign in to follow this  
Dabrow

Kenya invades Somalia

N.O.R.F   

Che -Guevara;752182 wrote:
Cross border..?

Where are the kidnapped held? No one actually has an idea, such easy thing to say they are in Somalia. Where in Somalia?

loool@pirates, come on now, surely you can't be mouthpiece for Western interest.

Yes, Kenya can take security and complicate the Somali situation but its economy will pay the price.

Again, none of this matters. There is a high probability this was done by AS/Pirates. Kenya are following a trail (whether its the correct trail or not doesn't matter at this juncture). It had to do something and that is understandable.

NGONGE   

Waxa la yedhi, Julius Ceaser marka la gaaday so'aal kaliya ayaa laga maqlay: "Et tu brute?" But at least Ceaser loved Brutus and regarded him as a son. What I don't understand is the fuss over Kenya's invasion when (like those that killed Ceaser) many others before it tried to already deliver the death blow.

Or, as the Arabs say "As the camel falls to its knees, more knives are drawn" but people here complain about every new knife that appears!

Still, I'm not sure what Norf is defending and why he's making excuses for Kenya's invasion. Surely the point is, Kenya did it becuase (like all the others) IT COULD!

To panic and wail at every new misfortune is just mad. After all, these are not isolated incidents. They are part of one big problem and it is that problem that needs to be sorted, lamented or ignored (not the latest country - including the Turks - to stick its nose in Somali affairs).

N.O.R.F   

^why? Sheekadu waa 'it is understandable'

I'm a realist saxib.

Kenya did it becuase (like all the others) IT COULD!

It could because it has ample reason to is my point (it wouldn’t otherwise). I get that it infringes on Somalia's sovereignty (whats left of it). I get people don't have to agree with it. I get people becoming patriotic. What I don't get it people not understanding WHY it happened.

Maybe Kenya should have complained to the UN waited for an investigation to be agreed with the results pointing to Somali insurgents/pirates before it took action.

N.O.R.F   

^I have a stance. Its clear. The basis/reasoning behind it is clear. It is not based on pride and baseless predictions. Feel free to challenge it :)

ailamos   

N.O.R.F;752151 wrote:

Every action has a reaction.

Exactly. That expression pretty much sums up this issue. Anyway, I find it ironic that Kenya's Defense Minister is a Somali.

anyone who thinks Kenya is going after the kidnapped foreigners is lying to himself.

Let me repeat,this is a very sad sad reallly sad situation for both som and Kenya

Che -Guevara;752135 wrote:
The excuses people make for invaders-I guess when it's not sisters getting raped, it is ALL OK.

For most it seems this is the typical dimension at play. Not their cousins affected so who cares. Collateral damage, huge civilian casualities, humantarian crisis expanded beyond incredible reach, all justifiable if AS is "defeated".

Never mind the fact that a) All evidence shows they will likely NOT be defeated through foreign intervention b) This could even strengthen them

If you could perhaps present some sort of solid case that this action could defeat AS, I can grudgingly accept some people's views. But not a single person has yet to do that. I think everyone is avoiding the fact this case can't be made. The 20 years of precedent speaks for itself. The greatest hits AlShabaab has taken have almost all been from internal domestic factors. Not foreign ones. Yet this Kenyan invasion is different how? None of these questions have been addressed.

Following the abduction of two Médecins Sans Frontières MSF (Doctors Without Borders) staff in Dadaab, Kenya, on 13th October, the international medical organisation MSF has no verifiable information on the identity or motives of the abductors.

MSF firmly and clearly disassociates itself from any armed activities and related declarations launched following the abduction.

Military actions

Blanca Thiebaut, age 30, from Madrid, was abducted from the Dadaab camp. © MSF

MSF is actively and fully engaging with all relevant actors in order to seek a safe resolution of the abduction.

Abductions are extremely complex and need to be handled with care, therefore MSF is very concerned that security and the resolution of the incident could be compromised by any use of force being related to the case.

“MSF is currently engaging with all relevant actors to seek the safe and swift release of our colleagues and any use of force could endanger this,” says Jose Antonio Bastos, president of MSF in Spain.

“We want to strongly distance ourselves from any military or other armed activities, declarations or presumptions of responsibility related to this case.”

MSF's work continues

MSF continues to provide assistance to people affected by the current crisis in Somalia, Kenya, Ethiopia and Djibouti, despite the already highly complex security environment.

As a result of the attack, MSF has temporarily suspended activities in Ifo two camp, Dadaab, where the abduction took place.

These activities include two health posts and mobile clinics that were providing primary healthcare, reproductive health and antenatal care, routine vaccination programmes and referral services for secondary healthcare.

MSF hospital

Montserrat Serra, age 40, from Girona (Palafrugell) was abducted on 13th October. © MSF

In Dagahaley camp, MSF has ensured the continuation of life-saving medical activities in the 243-bed hospital, with nearly 200 patients being treated in the in-patient therapeutic feeding centre.

However, five health posts had to be momentarily suspended and medical teams are currently on stand-by, ready to resume all activities as soon as security conditions allow it. Part of the nutritional program, which was treating 15,000 people, was also put on hold.

Dadaab and Somalia

MSF has been working in Somalia continuously since 1991 and currently operates 13 projects in the country, including medical activities related to the current emergency, vaccination and nutritional interventions.

In running such programs, MSF maintains an ongoing dialogue with key actors on the ground.

In Dadaab, Kenya, MSF resumed operations in 2009, while it also assists Somali refugees in the camps of Dolo Ado, Ethiopia.

“We are deeply concerned about the fate of our two colleagues. MSF is committed to continue providing healthcare to the Somali population in and outside Somalia,” says Bastos, “but the level of assistance to populations is being deeply impacted by such attacks. It is extremely alarming

http://www.msf.org/msf/articles/2011/10/mdecins-sans-frontires-seeks-swift-release-of-two-abducted-staff-without-use-of-force-and-continues-medical-activities-to-assist-somali-population.cfm

------

Statement from MSF, making it clear Kenya is NOT representing their interests, and is deeply impacting their ability to work in Somalia. They also make it clear there is no evidence at all behind who kidnapped the workers. The organization the very people who were kidnapped disagree with their name being used to justify this, yet people are accepting the allegations without question.

Dabrow   

ailamos;752130 wrote:
"you read somewhere" eh? your stubbornness is amusing... it's only rational that a country would retaliate the way Kenya has. If the TFG can't control what's going on within their borders then I'm sure Kenya "doesn't give a shit" (as you so eloquently put it) either, all they're concerned with is that they were attacked, end of story.

The story ends when invaders are delt heavy losses.

this gonna shake kenya for many years to come.

Its it's only rational that a country would retaliate if was invaded as you put it.

and still you have not posted a valid fact that alshabab was behind the kidnap, only recycled propaganda.

I want to see evidence for the "pretext" of this invasion

Mayaani   

Faarax-Brawn;752339 wrote:
anyone who thinks Kenya is going after the kidnapped foreigners is lying to himself.

Let me repeat,this is a very sad sad reallly sad situation for both som and Kenya

Good point.

ailamos;752234 wrote:
Exactly. That expression pretty much sums up this issue. Anyway, I find it ironic that Kenya's Defense Minister is a Somali.

The defence minister dose not represent the somalis of NFD nor the myth that all somalis of nfd are homogenous in their dicissions does not hold true . somalis in nfd have always been used by the bigger tribes (kikuyu, kelenjin and luo) to serve their own self interests and not the region. What has this and many similar appointments achieved for them? Many somali in nfd DO NOT support this outrageous invasion of our somali brothers territories. Such invasion rekindles the bitter memories of the masscres, rapes and tortures nfd residents suffered at the hands of kenyan forces during the shifta war and self determination. AS as dispised as they are, they should only be dealt with by the somalis.

Mohammed   

Mayaani;752467 wrote:
Good point.

Good point? He didn't make any point. He just made a useless statement.

He's one of those dumb paranoid nationalist Somalis who are concerned about sovereignty over the destroying Al-Shabaab. If the Kenyan army can make Al-Shabaab weaker, that would be fantastic news for Somalia.