Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

You may wanna cut the cord of cable TV -- Try PLEX or XBMC

Baashi   

Folks thought I should share this tidbit with you.

With Apple TV2 ($99), PLEX software (free) and internet connection (high speed), TV, and HDMI cable -- you don't need cable service.

How it workd, you hack Apple TV2, download PLEX program, and nitoTV. Combinations of the two software and plug-ins will be able to get feeds over the internet in real time. It is just awesome and free as well.

Advantages --

you save about $70 bucks every months.

you can watch programs of off iTunes potcasts (built in)

you can watch programs of almost all TV/Cable networks with restrictions in some cases (through plug ins).

you will have your movies in external HD nicely mapped on the TV screen with original posters and synopsis.

The best kicker is you will be able to watch all football tournaments for free live on the big screens. Even better than that is that all games are archived and you can watch them on your time.

Disadvantages --

Some of foreign markets block the plug-ins -- such as BBC. The program is there but I just didn't figure out how to get the hack installed to jailbreak it.

Not all TV shows are available. Hulu is there but has some commercials.

I don't watch much TC but with this I didn't miss it in 9 months.

The one good advantage is that you don't need labtop or desktop computer as this is wireless connect through Apple TV2.

Try it if you are interested. If you have OS X I might be of help even though I am not on line most of the time. But I do visit SOL once a week or even every three to four days.

Pls share any utility that might be useful.

nuune   

^^ Anywhere as long you have internet connection(very high speed).

Baashi, thanks for the topic, also don't miss out the IslamBox, a small set top box device that combines the best of Islamic Channels, bal booqo websitekooda .com un ku dar magacooda khaasatan kuwa diinta sida Majd oo casharada iyo duruusta si toos ah u bixiya, xataa SomaliChannel ayaa ku jiro their package, and all the Arabic channels, if you have Roku device, then you don't need the IslamBox set top box, and you save the 299 bucks it cost, and buy roku for 59 or 79, or 99, of course next day or 3 day delivery in US.

Yunis   

I was subscriber of p2pforum portal - no plug-in or external utilities, until it was brought down last week...

Baashi

Is there a hope for Plex community to make Plex server cross-platform, if they still haven't done it yet?

Last time I checked Plex server for Windows was only limited as a client component software and didn't include full Plex media player

Jacpher   

Who knew Baashi was a geek. Sxb very interesting stuff. Apple TV second generation with icould and airplay support, very appealing.

Nuune: I have seen Islambox and these guys brought Islamic channels right to our bedrooms without requiring to install satellite dishes. It has been awhile but I hope they improved the picture quality a little better. You got Majd, Risaala, Rahma, Iqra Sunna, Quran and many others including Al Jazeera, PressTV, and adding more. I've recently been reading the reviews about Roku but I didn't know they work with Islambox. Warka na sii sxb. Do I need subscription from Islambox for it to work on Roku?

nuune   

^^ Jacphar , IslamBox can work with Roku, but Roku will charge you for $4.99 monthly fee for bringing IslamBox channels to you, on top of that you are saving the IslamBox device which costs $299 cuz you have Roku which costs $59, but don't forget there will always be subscription of IslamBox which is between $14.99 to $19.99, these guys are a bit pricy for the averages, but I have found out a good deal where you pay nothing other than the Wherever TV receiver, this is the device where it can give you almost any Arab Channel freely available, I was astonished, even Majd tv, Risaala and the duruus channels and major Arab news channels.

Try to create a free account with Wherever TV website, and see all the channels in action, choose from country or language, but some of the channels may work with TV meaning you need to get Wherever TV receiver, I am looking around where to buy one, adiguna bal raadi, Amazon says out of stock.

Jacpher   

^Thanks sxb so basically to get islambox on roku, is gonna cost about 25 or so a month. Basically waxaad save-garen is the cost of the Islamboxka ay kaa gadayaan. Not bad. Wherever TV websitekooda ma ba tusaayo sawirkiisa iyo qiimihiisa, not sure if they discontinue it.

Great topic

Baashi, I have been using Boxee, which is a fork of the old XBMC, for almost eight months now. Too bad Boxee just announced they want to concentrate on their Boxee box which sells for 200 bucks. Apple TV, GoogleTV and Plex are all inferior to Boxee's slick interface. Even roku is just not as "functional" as Boxee. The only only irritating thing about Boxee is its recent drop of Netflix, Pandora from its final version due to licencing issues. But that is not a problem for me as there is a redundancy in my household because we have Samsung SmartTV which comes bundled with all the necessary apps including Netflix. Boxee has some deep repositories which I think is second to none.

I don't know of anyone in my circle who uses the traditional cable anymore. Even my three year old knows how to turn on our Acer Revo 100 by herself and can easily source switch back and forth to the Samsung SmartTV and select Netflix. She was just watching Curous George tonight on Netflix. The future of TV is connected devices my friend.

Download boxee here. Create an account and download the software. Buying the Boxee Box is unnecessary if you already have HTPC. Buying the box may become necessary in the future now that the developers said they won't support the downloadable version anymore.

Let me know if you need repositories.