Sign in to follow this  
Somalia

Mercenary trainers arrive in Puntland with military hardware

Kudos to the UAE. Somalia should be rebuild bit by bit. And if PL is assisted with it's fight against the Piracy, is it a good start. I don't understand what all fuss is about here. Trucks and tents have been given to PL, so what?

Somalia   

Thankful;750289 wrote:
Looool
:D
I guess the back of the trucks aren't carrying cargo right? The UAE is donating the trucks with nothing on the back of them and the tarps on the back of them are not covering any supplies?

I know you are new to the site, but we show more class and maturity then insulting people.

Furthermore, you started this thread with an article from raxanreeb. So do you actually believe that the image and the article from raxanreeb match?

I get it, you are just trying to generate attention with these ridiculous posts........and sadly I gave you some.

I don't think you understand. Let me repeat, the trucks, will be used at bases on the coastline. Do you understand? These are new trucks, do you understand?

I don't surf the internet for attention since New York Times already reports on these matters, but it must hurt seeing the progress of Puntland. I like your hating though.

Baashi   

If the news is true, I would be worried of adverse consequences.

I wouldn’t associate having mercenaries operate in your backyard with progress. Having mercenaries in your midst is indicative of some sort of deep seated dysfunction. PL being a recovery zone, implies that it’s recovering from all the dysfunctions associated with failed state.

Current admin wants to make the case that folks in PL circle of influence are building institutions, establishing government organs, promoting law and order -- and succeeding at doing that. Recovery is slow but progressive.

Admin should not cozy up to the idea of hiring mercenaries in order to eradicate local grown piracy. Yes it needs the help and it can certainly use aid in implementing anti-piracy program.

The image admin wants to project and the environment mercenaries operate and thrive in contradict each other. Go down that path and the recovery zone image will go out of the window and this place will be synonymous with mafia lala land.

Not only that, mercenaries market themselves as long hand -- unrestrained by law and conventions -- that can reach to places that states are either unwilling or unable to reach, but they are also notorious in fomenting trouble by pitting one faction and against another.

Invite them in at your peril. With the news that there is secret drone base built in Ethiopia by US and aimed at Somalia, one has to worry and worry deeply. For any leader who do not take the dictates of junior colonel in these bases at service of his country is at risk of elimination. Anyone accused of terrorism is a fair game.

Military aid, yes - check. Training security personnel on the use of the donated hardware, yes - check. Employing mercenaries and giving them opportunities to develop networks in your zone, no. Absolute no. Sharing donated money with middle men is not good use of aid package anyway.

I certainly understand where gulf countries are coming from and their idea of taking the fight to the pirates home turf. After all piracy threatens the maritime order in their backyard. I acknowledge the fact that they have stake in this. However, Somalis should also take their interest to the heart and deal with these foreigners with open eyes.

Someone has to tell Farole to not fall in to the trap in thinking that making contacts and dealing with foreign leaders will somehow elevate his status as Somali leader and give him an advantage over other political competitors. No. In Somalia, everyone is expendable including Farole himself.

uchi   

I doubt any mercs are coming to Puntland anytime soon..., nevertheless Puntland forces can use any advantages/training/equipment they can get.

Don't forget Al Shabab isnt too far away, and lets be honest they are a serious threat to Puntland as well.

Thankful   

Somalia;750315 wrote:
I don't think you understand. Let me repeat, the trucks, will be used at bases on the coastline. Do you understand? These are new trucks, do you understand?

I don't surf the internet for attention since New York Times already reports on these matters, but it must hurt seeing the progress of Puntland. I like your hating though.

The article you are posting from raxanreeb states this " Mercenary trainers arrive in Puntland with military HARDWARE

I am saying that the trucks are not military hardware, which could be a violation of Somalia's arms embargo. The trucks are aid and are loaded with food and medicine.

Nothing about those trucks say "military" or even look military - regardless of what raxanreeb might say!

Thankful   

Wasiirka maaliyada Puntlnad Dr.Faarax Cali Shire oo maanta shir saxaafadeed ku qabtay Xarunta Wasaarada maaliyadu ay ku leedahay gudaha dekedda magaalada Boosaaso ayaa ka warbixiyey xamuulka uu Markabkaasi sido , meesha uu ka keenay iyo weliba cidda iska leh.

Wuxuuna sheegay in markabkani uu sido Raashin mucaawimo ah oo isugu jira Bariis , Sonkor , Caano iyo Timir
iyo weliba qalab ay leeyihiin ciidamada loo tababaro la dagaalanka burcad badeeda ee ku sugan saldhigyada ay ku leeyihiin galbeedka magaalada Boosaaso.

http://horseedmedia.net/2011/10/06/markab-deeq-raashin-iyo-qalab-isugu-jira-wada-oo-dekedda-boosaaso-ku-xiran/

If you are true supporter of the Puntland government then you should listen to our finance minister and not those that are trying to make up stories.

Somalia   

Thankful;750374 wrote:
The article you are posting from raxanreeb states this "
Mercenary trainers arrive in Puntland with military HARDWARE

I am saying that the trucks are not military hardware, which could be a violation of Somalia's arms embargo. The trucks are aid and are loaded with food and medicine.

Nothing about those trucks say "military" or even look military - regardless of what raxanreeb might say!

Not everything Raxanreeb says is a lie, they've gone anti-Puntland after the Garsoor operation but that doesn't mean it's not true. The trucks aren't going to be used for humanitarian purposes, but anti-piracy operations of the coast. It's just the truth.

The arms embargo has been violated hundreds of times by everyone, no one even cares anymore. This isn't even a violation...

Thankful   

Somalia;750377 wrote:
Not everything Raxanreeb says is a lie, they've gone anti-Puntland after the Garsoor operation but that doesn't mean it's not true. The trucks aren't going to be used for humanitarian purposes, but anti-piracy operations of the coast. It's just the truth.

The arms embargo has been violated hundreds of times by everyone, no one even cares anymore. This isn't even a violation...

Using shell companies, some of which the United Nations report links to Erik Prince, who founded the Blackwater Worldwide security company,
Saracen secretly shipped military equipment — which the report says violated an arms embargo
— into northern Somalia on cargo planes leaving from Uganda and the United Arab Emirates.

Strange because the NY Times article that you quoted - as if it is the truth - states that the UN Monitoring group has deemed this a violation of the arms embargo.

Do you understand, this Raxanreeb article is claiming that the Puntland government is violating international law. The government is not permitted (yet) to bring in military hardware like this.

That is why the finance minister stated it is food and aid! The Raxanreeb article is not positive!

Somalia   

Thankful;750383 wrote:
Strange because the NY Times article that you quoted - as if it is the truth - states that the UN Monitoring group has deemed this a violation of the arms embargo.

Do you understand, this Raxanreeb article is claiming that the Puntland government is violating international law. The government is not permitted (yet) to bring in military hardware like this.

That is why the finance minister stated it is food and aid! The Raxanreeb article is not positive!

Hah. Listen, I'm talking about this particular shipment not being in violation of the arms embargo. If there were weapons on board there wouldn't be photographers around. Not all military equipment are against arms embargoes.

I do think I am able to figure out their motives :rolleyes:

Atirisho   

I agree with Thankful on this issue. Raxanreeb's credibility went down after the garsoor incident when they want from a reliable news outlet to one dedicated to propagating conspiracy theories and anti-government rhetoric.

This article by raxaanreeb is clearly misleading. It doesn't make sense that if UAE was violating UN's arm ambargo on Somalia that they will be so open about it. This shipment is medical supplies and food for Puntland's needy ;)

It is true that Puntland needs help with their anti-piracy missions/efforts but they won't violate international laws so recklessly in order to achieve that.