Sign in to follow this  
Shinbir Majabe

“Hawo’s Dinner Party: The New Face of Southern Hospitality

Yunis   

Very very Strong women - This an insidious and degrading programme. You have to remember

this is part of the country where the most ignorant / dumb Americans live.

ailamos   

An excellent production. It's tough being an immigrant in a foreign land, but these strong women have demonstrated that integration is possible through education and communication, and they've made lifelong friendships along the way.

that's the problem with fundamentalist oriented attitude; this kind o in ur face ugly sheets.It's one of reasons westerners stopped bringing in somalis.They could dress casually & mingle.IGNORANT!

The Ignorance American Southerners never seizes to amaze me, you would think with all that history of slaver, segregation and racism these people would be more conscience of how they react to diversity. Good on this woman and all these people for working to dispel these stereotypes as much as they can but I would like to ask a question, what is with Somalis and shaking hands, can they not just perform wudhu again?

Som@li   

^Somalis do handshake, It is just very minority, who are more strict, and that should not be an issue as well.

It is what they wanna see, if you are bigot, stubborn, and very narrow minded racist, all you is fault in people who are different, that is what they are , and they should NOT welcome that idi0t journalist wannabe.

It made me laugh when they say, they have BIG clothing to cover dirt, :D, and what surprise me more was how the black Americans showed more hate towards Somalis, I though they would be more sympathetic, after what they have been thru ?? :?

no to be racist but kuwaas waa cawaan foqal cawaan. There must something in the water down there. As for the so called journalist, he seemed one of the more bigoted ones in the video, why any self respecting paper would someone like that cover such important thing I really don't get but then again journalism is this country is dead profession, there are bunch buffoons running around pretending to be a reporter. The first thing they teach in any half decent journalism in school is not to sides but lets the facts speak for themselves.

Som@li;749539 wrote:
.... and what surprise me more was how the black Americans showed more hate towards Somalis, I though they would be more sympathetic, after what they have been thru ?? :?

The black race in America's long turbulent history has very little to do with the subject at hand. Simply put, your analysis of the video is flawed.

As far as the above video is concerned, there is no evidence that suggests the black community in in Shelbyville, TN resent the Somalis in Shelbyville or any other race for that matter. For you to mischaracterize the tension of the community and put it on the shoulders of the entire black race in Shelbyville is not only irresponsible but foolish. (yeah yeah, I know you didn't say it along those lines, but thats beside

the point)

Speaking of the Somalis in Shelbyville, what is up with the dusky looking man? Talk about spending all of his time and money at DESSERTSTORE.COM

screenshot20111004at102.png

^Agreed. I felt a slight queasiness in watching Hawa make an attempt at the 'american dream'. for goodness sakes, she looks a mess, looks completely alien, wearing 15 layers of underclothing and its no wonder that people are asking questions. as for the aggrandising sheikh in the vid, he's only adding to the negative pre-conceived ideas that this tiny bible-belt community hold of somalis and muslims. its not necessary that he dresses in such a obvious way. the only way to integrate is not to be conspicuous and to go about your daily business.

Yunis   

Alpha Blondy;749653 wrote:
she looks a mess, looks completely alien wearing 15 layers of underclothing and its no wonder that people are asking questions..

This is the most absurd bigotry in all its forms. This is not rebuttal towards your hostility attitude towards this religion, but what makes your comments & these “bible-belt” southerners utterly foolish is that, she is well within her religious believe to dress as she sees fit in America. She might look mess to you, but what makes her story compelling is that her strong will not to tone-down her ’15 layers’ of clothing to fit-in.