Sign in to follow this  
ailamos

The correct demonym: Somali or Somalian?

ailamos   

What's your take?

Media outlets seem to be confused as to which one to use and often use both terms interchangeably (e.g. here and here).

I prefer the demonym "Somali", not only is it what we refer ourselves as, but it's also been what identified us an ethnic unit, e.g. The Somali People. While I have seen online articles and blog posts referring to "Somalian", and have met people (usually of the younger generation) referring to themselves as "Somalian", I usually cringe every time I hear that word.

I'd love to read what the online Somali community thinks about this :-)

The way I have [recently] understood to be correct is that:

1) 'Somali' refers to ethnicity (as well as language) and can be used for all ethnic Somalis in the Somali peninsula and beyond.

2) 'Somalian' refers to nationality and is used exclusively for the citizens of Somalia whether of Somali, Bantu or Arab heritage.

Jacpher   

No such a thing as Somalian. There's Somali Kenyan, Somali Ethiopian (read: Abtigiis), Somali Jabuti, not Somalian.

People: Somali, Ethnicity: Somali, Culture: Somali, Language: Somali, Money: Somali, Nationality: Somali, Country: Somalia.

I used to get bothered by this. Nowadays, I dont. Matter of fact, i dont give jiirs aszz about it anymore.

Somalian, Somali,Somalia=however you slice/dice it, it is still to be followed by one of the following:

Somalia....War,famine,20+years no dowlad,prime minister, fired, sharif parliament.

Somali....pirate,burcad baded,warlord, welfare fraud, minneapolis

Somalian..alshabab,terrorist, argagaxiso,minneapolis

So,My Somalian brothers& sisters(Yea i saids it), give me peace and i will stop using this dreadful word.

nuune   

I am actually more bothered by Ailamos's two links than the spelling of a name, the two titles of the links he put here are as follows:

1- Somalian rape victim, 13, stoned to death

2- Somali refugees abandon babies at Dadaab camp

I am questioning his motives of the search engine, and I need some answers from him, or from any of the Solers.

nuune;746563 wrote:
I am actually more bothered by Ailamos's two links than the spelling of a name, the two titles of the links he put here are as follows:

1- Somalian rape victim, 13, stoned to death

2- Somali refugees abandon babies at Dadaab camp

I am questioning his motives of the search engine, and I need some answers from him, or from any of the Solers.

Abti, find one more positive links related to those two words. You wont see it. if u do,it is buried deep into 14th page with italics.

nuune   

^^ Abti, horey baan ninkan uga qeelshey anu, adoo waxaan ku ogaa qori jirey Somalian, goormaad iska dhaaftey hehehe

Sayidka, lol That explains then, kaba harey marka, I was correct to ask his motives, thanks for finding that out, now I declare you to be a full teacher, before macallin duulaa unbaad iska aheyd, hadase, mas duulaa in lagu dhaho waad istaahishaa

Carafaat   

Jacpher;746538 wrote:
No such a thing as Somalian. There's Somali Kenyan, Somali Ethiopian (read: Abtigiis), Somali Jabuti, not Somalian.

People: Somali, Ethnicity: Somali, Culture: Somali, Language: Somali, Money: Somali, Nationality: Somali, Country: Somalia.

I agree. The word Somalia(n) comes from the Italian synthax for Southern Somalia, la Somalia italiana.

Its like saying Somalilander (coming from the English synthax, British Somaliland) while refering to Somali people.