Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

Ugly? You May Have a Case

chubacka   

His research is really interesting but I thought his case was impossibly weak to begin with (I've never before heard plain looking ppl called a "deserving group of citizens") and then he goes on to undermine it himself.

ugliness (NOT deformity) is not a disability and its patronising to suggest it maybe. If he thinks he has proven that good looking ppl get more breaks, tough cheese. If their face is all they have to offer then all the best to them!

Baashi   

Yes I know ugliness is hardly a disability. In this progressive society the Inna Abdille Hassan's adage "Godobteydu waa jidhaa goonyahoo idile, Annigu waxaan goosan karo waa gurbsanayaa e." is an article of faith. The good prof is viewing this issue from discrimination point of view. If you are "ugly" you wouldn't make it to the final cut of let say TV anchor hopefuls. So why not fight the good fight in order to secure a right to sue any1 who denies you employement not becuase you are not competent but because you are ugly or fat or thin or what have you :)

A_Khadar   

I can see where the look can lead to a possitive first empression for a job interview, but with my own experience, I disagreed the point the author added to the list which is you can learn more from good looking professors.. I had a psychology class from a good looking mixed professor female, and honestly that was my worst class in terms of learning and the grade I got from it.. Very much my mind used be gone and woke up when everybody in the class started packing their bags.. Guess what I used dream?????

Blessed   

Interesting, one have to accept that they're ugly to begin with, right? Hada sida niyada laisku dhisaayay in this PC world ayaa hunk iyo qalanjo la isu wada haystaa. It would be difficult to proof that discrimination is based on looks...

chubacka   

Bashii I don't think its a good fight at all, its really silly but I wouldn't put it past someone to try to push this and then we would have to have a public debate as to whether that person really is ugly and I am sure there would be a lot more people who would claim to be uglier than them. Only today I was reading about a little boy in Germany call the police on his mum for using him as a slave and denying him his human rights as she asked him to do his chores around the house. Apparently his mother was standing right beside him as he made the phone call!

Baashi   

Common now. Deny me a job and I will sue your behind :) I am fat, short, have 20 inch belly, and I am bald. How onn earth they turn me and my application down -- ya tell me :) I wanna them co explain themselves and show the whole world exactly how the decision of hiring the lucky guy/gal has been made. It's their loss qallanjo.

Aight if you haven't noticed by know the article is an op-ed. The author is a writer trying to market is work. And the article is lil provacative...exactly why NYT editors gave him a go.

Still...