Sign in to follow this  
Alderman

Jobless Somali asylum seekers are put up in lavish £2m, six bedroom house paid for by the taxpayer

Alderman   

Unemployed Saeed Khaliif is being handed almost £8,000 a month to pay the rent on his house, one of the most expensive ever to be funded by housing benefit.

The Somali refugee, 49, demanded to be moved to the six-bedroom property in West Hampstead, North-West London, with his wife Sayida and their children after deciding their previous accommodation was inadequate.

Raj Sohal, the family’s previous landlord, said: ‘It was the first time I’d rented to an asylum seeker family. I did it because I felt sorry for them. The fact is they were on every kind of benefit available.

‘If the rent on their new property is £8,000 I’m sure they are getting a lot more.’

He told The People newspaper: ‘We found they’d gone without paying the last month’s rent.

‘And there were repairs which would have been around £600. I didn’t chase the money. If the damage had been more I would have gone after them.’

It is unclear how many children the family have – but up to eight youngsters have been seen at the property. When approached by The People, Mr Khaliif said: ‘This is my house. We’ve got every right to live here.’

Mr and Mrs Khaliif refused to speak to the Mail yesterday. A handwritten note on their front door read ‘Media do not knock. We have nothing to say.’

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2025895/Housing-benefits-Somali-asylum-seeker-Saeed-Khaliifs-family-2m-house.html

They have to moved out. Even if they end up homeless, kick them out. They are lazy, evil scoungers, who want handout.

Let this lazy animal, work day and night feeding 6 children, he can't afford.

Is the family to blame for where they are put up? No, I think the Council is to blame for renting this place, even if temporarily. But I guess, that's not the matter for the first two posters, it's the colour of their skin. Doubt they would mind if it was white jobless family being put up in this supposedly 'grand' house. Daily Mail fodder.

Showing their faces & location so publicy - isn't that dangerous? I would be really concerned for their safety. The article is written in a way that would cause resentment & jealousy in their readers - and who knows where that could lead.

Mohammed   

What pisses me off is, why does the council allow it? Why give them these houses? Surely they knew that Daily Mail will find out, they love these type of stories.

Why not make them live in a smaller house or a hostel?

Nina Fox   

This is why I hate London. It is not fair on those who work hard and live on a shoestring budget and qaxootis are still sponging off the system. 20+ YRS and we are on handouts, pathetic and disgraceful. Every morning when I open the papers I wish I dont come across another pitiful Somali story urrghhhh. So embarrasing!

On second thought its the council's fault. They could have easily transfered this family to another city with cheaper, bigger houses, No? London in la dago qasab miyaa? The state should send them back to Coventry ayaka iyo bustayaashoda.

Som@li   

I reckon there is a corruption involved, No body will rent this mansion, it is too expensive for majority of people, so rent it to the government.

Som@li;741002 wrote:
I reckon there is a corruption involved, No body will rent this mansion, it is too expensive for majority of people, so rent it to the government.

Exactly.They all together; city council,owner etc.Like the contracter charged pentagon $16000 for a screw driver!

Polanyi   

n u live in a shack?

more bad news: A report yesterday revealed that UK migrants from one East African country are much more heavily dependent on the state to provide them with homes than people from any other minority group.

Eight out of ten Somalis were found to live in homes provided by the taxpayer. Yet among every other immigrant nationality, more than half pay for their own housing either by renting it on the private market or through buying their homes.

The findings come from the Institute for Public Policy Research and were revealed yesterday in a report by MigrationWatch.

If the IPPR figures – calculated from official statistics – are correct, then the provision of homes for Somalis is likely have cost taxpayers more than £2billion.

Whitehall officials estimate there are 150,000 Somalis in Britain, most of whom fled civil war and lawlessness that broke out in 1991.

There has been outrage over Somali refugee Saeed Khaliif, who moved with his family into a £2m house in North-West London, at a cost to the public of £8,000 a month.

Blessed   

Alpha,

2million dollar house in Hargaisa? Milixda ka yarree, ninyow.

How much does one need to earn to pay 8K in rent per month? I agree with Som@ali, cid kiraysata ayaa la waayay. The council could have easily refused to pay housing benefit on the property. They could house at least 10 families in poorer areas of London. Having said that, the audacity of dadkeena waa cajiib marmar.