Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Column: While Somalia stagnates, Somaliland flourishes

THE VANCOUVER SUN

As Somalia descends into yet another of the troughs of violence and famine that have marked this ultimate failed state for 20 years, just over its northern horizon is one of the most successful new countries in Africa.

Somaliland broke away from Somalia after the old dictator, Siad Barre, was ousted by clan warlords at the end of January 1991, and has since quietly constructed a robust, functioning state that is also the only vibrant Islamic democracy in the broader region of North Africa and the Middle East.

But Somaliland is not recognized internationally as an independent nation, which may, perversely, largely account for its success.

The country’s 3.5 million people and its large diaspora of exiles and emigrants in Europe, North America and the Gulf States have had to rely on their own resources and are immensely proud of their accomplishments.

nuune   

woow, me think this ain't necessary when famine and displacement is going on, or the article making reference to famine etc as it was caused by the people dying on their scores!

NGONGE   

^^^ Abu Al Tayib wuxu yedhi:

بذا قضت الايام ما بين اهلها

مصائب قوم عند قوم فوائد

A natural disaster befalls on people and others talk about the 'progress' of two tuulos in NW.

The worst drought in the horn of Africa in 60 years, yet the response from the world is far less and insignificat compared to that of Ethiopia in 1986, and the impact was far greater at that time.

Somalis are resilient and will come through this and survive insha'allah. Ilaahay un hala baryo insha'alah, it's only Almighty god that can make it rain.

^Aamiin, Hanoolaadeen reer Somaliland insha'allah.

Laakiin Xaajiyow dadkan masaakiinta ah ee Abaartu heshayna uducee iyagana inay noolaadaan.

A_Khadar   

XX reminds me that movie "The President" by Chris Rock... His running opponent man always closes with his speech saying "God bless America no where else".. Now it's like that, SMN ha noolaato no-one else...;););)

Kool_Kat   

nuune;736861 wrote:
woow, me think this ain't necessary when famine and displacement is going on, or the article making reference to famine etc as it was caused by the people dying on their scores!

Maskax that far ahead fikirta baan jirin methinks!

bilan   

so what is the next article, oh let me guess, in SL waxaanu ku quraacnaa canjeelo iyo beer while Koonfurta ay dadku gaajo u dhimanyaan. anyone who enjoys these kind of articles needs to check their mental state.

This thread is unnecessary at this time me thinks. This can be seen as mocking the people of the south who are in dire situation now.

Carafaat   

Maybe its time not to compare Somaliland with Somalia anymore but with other countries like South Sudan, Eritrea, etc.