Sign in to follow this  
Somalina

Mogadisho: Aden Adde Airport, the busiest airport in Somalia

Dr_Osman   

Nina has caught some mogadishu fever, nice work. The airport looks wicked wallahi, Makes me quite jealous and also furious at farole how he stuffed an excellent airport and port gig cade signed with lootah a $50 million dollar and look at how mogadishu is benefitting from their foreign investment. Rageedi, The only thing to match this type of investment is the $100 million spent on our oil exploration program there is nothing in Somalia other then these two projects that are in the seven digit zone.

Good on mogadishu and keep it up

Somalina   

Turkish carrier aims for largest network

Published: 9/01/2012 at 12:00 AM

Newspaper section: Business

Temel Kotil takes Turkish Airlines' slogan "Globally yours," which features in all its ads worldwide, very seriously.

347425.jpg

‘‘Not so many airlines work by heart, but I think we are one of them,’ says Mr Kotil.

The 53-year-old moustached Turk, who has served as chief executive of his country's flag carrier for seven years, is determined to have the world's largest flight network.

This ambitious goal was set by 2023, to coincide with the centennial of the founding of the Republic of Turkey.

With his position seemingly open-ended and his past performance recognised, Mr Kotil still has years to help the airline attain this goal.

Today, with 152 international and 44 domestic routes, the airline, known as TK in industry code, connect a total of 196 cities to one another.

That kind of network made TK the world's eight largest airline in terms of network size and Europe's third largest.

The current network is about doubled from 2003 when it covered a total of 104 destinations, 76 of which were international and 28 domestic routes.

With its plan to add nine more cities in 2012 including Mogadishu in Somalia and Buenos Aires in Argentina, TK will elevate its ranking.

Over the next five years, the airline's network is targeted to increase to 250 as part of its aggressive growth plan which also emphasises the linkage between Asia and Europe.

The network growth is consistent with fleet expansion that will see the number of its aircraft raised to 197 by 2016 from 178 by the end of 2011, a far cry from 65 it was operating in 2003.

For 2011, the airline carried 32.9 million passengers, more than triple from 10.5 million, or a 213% hike, from its 2003 baseline year.

In an interview with the Bangkok Post in Bangkok, Mr Kotil said TK's ambition to be a global player is not confined to himself, but is rather a passion of the entire company.

"Any airline can be successful, provided their employees like what they're doing. Competing with other airlines can be a piece of cake, because not so many airlines work by heart, but I think we are one of them," he said.

The Turk executive attributed TK's success to the cost control, lower labour cost, utilisation of new aircraft _ its average fleet age is 6.31 years _ and contribution from its subsidiaries including those engaged in aircraft maintenance operations.

However, investment required for its expansion and high fuel costs have reduced its operating profit, from the historic peak of US$571 million in 2008 to $151 million estimated for the first nine months of 2011. Its operating profit in 2010 was $321 million.

In the Far East, where its has already covered 27 cities, TK intends to add more destinations to its network, including Manila and Kuala Lumpur next year, according to Mr Kotil.

As part of its strategic move to boost its profile in the region, TK on Dec 26 formalised a cooperative code-shares agreement with Thai Airways International (THAI) that results in THAI feeding passengers from its Australian and Far Eastern routes to TK's Bangkok-Istanbul flights at Bangkok's Suvarnabhumi airport.

According to Mr Kotil, TK is pondering a third daily flight on its Bangkok-Istanbul service to meet rising demand as its existing flights have reached a high load factor of around 90% now.

"We're after a third flight, most likely next year," he noted.

Bangkokpost

Somalina   

First international airline for 20 years lands in Mogadishu

From correspondents in Mogadishu From: AFP March 06, 2012 6:39PM

THE first long-distance international commercial airliner in some two decades to fly to Somalia's war-torn capital landed on its maiden flight at Mogadishu airport today.

The Turkish Airlines flight, with a high level delegation from Ankara led by Turkish deputy prime minister Bekir Bosdag, was welcomed on landing in the anarchic seaside capital by Somali President Sharif Sheikh Ahmed.

"Today is big day for Somalia - Turkish Airlines made its first official flight to Somalia," said Somali government official Abdisalam Mohamud, adding that top leaders welcomed the flight to "commemorate the big event".

Several Somali airlines, including Kenya-based African Express, fly into Somalia from neighbouring nations, but Turkish Airlines' proposed twice-weekly flights are the first commercial flights from outside the region.

"The deputy prime minister of Turkey has officially opened the operations of the international carrier," Mohamud added.

Somalia has had no effective government since 1991 and in recent years al-Qaeda-allied Shabaab insurgents and other groups have taken an increasing hold on large parts of the country.

Security was tightened in Mogadishu ahead of the plane's arrival, with the main roads in neighbourhoods around the airport blocked by gangs of heavily armed policemen.

"Security is a major issue in Mogadishu so we are trying our best to assure that things go smoothly," said Somali police commander, Colonel Mohamed Adan.

"We are very happy to see this country gradually gaining international attention, a step on the road towards development," Adan added.

The airline's arrival was welcomed by Mogadishu residents, who said they hoped it would make it easier for relatives in the large Somali diaspora scattered around the world to come home to visit.

"Everybody is talking about Turkish Airlines," said Hidig Ali, a resident of Mogadishu. "This is a big deal, as it can help many people outside the country to come back and see their homeland and family."

"Turkish Airlines will encourage other international carriers to realize they, too, can operate in Somalia. It really is a major step towards development and we are happy today with Turkey," said Shamso Agey, another resident.

Carafaat   

Abaayo, where can i book the ticket's. I wanna be early for my june Somali tour. Couldnt find Moqadishu on Turkish website.

BOB   

Carafaat, Mukhallasiinta Xamar joogto weydii, teeda kale baasaboorka ma gadeysaa oo cash deg deg ah ma rabtaa? Lol

Peace, Love & Unity.

Carafaat   

meqa la iga siina. Laakinse, I dont think most folks look close like me, unless you from Shangani and Shibis, tall, muscled and have Banjuni hair. :D

Somalina   

Carafaat;799544 wrote:
Abaayo, where can i book the ticket's. I wanna be early for my june Somali tour. Couldnt find Moqadishu on Turkish website.

Waa iska hadleysaa miyaa?

Taleexi   

Somalina: Waa haweeney belo ah. Maandhow siday sawirada markaba ku soo heshaa! .... halkaa kaga hay saaxiib.