Sign in to follow this  
NGONGE

What exactly are Farmajo’s achievements?

Aaliyyah   

Not much can really be done in the short time Farmaajo has been in office, specially for a country that has been dismantled for over two decades! Very silly of NG to ask such a question, laakiin sheekada inuu meel kale uwado bey ila tahay...

With that said, Farmaajo has done something no other Somali official has done for two decades+: SOOMAALI IS WADA GARAB TAAGAN, Somalia dhexdeeda iyo aduun weynahoo idil...If Farmaajo did that, trust and believe, in my eyes and so many other Somalis around the world, ..
he has accomplished a lot more than Faroole iyo Siilaanyo la'isku daray oona la labo jibaaray.

Ps, the fact that he's easy on the eyes is also a plus in my books...

well Said Koolkat n i had to bold that part so NG can see it clearly lool...btw anyone who is not blinded by qabiil and other interest does see what Farmaajo has achieved. But, I wonder why NG is wasting all this time on what farmajo achieved lol ma kolay nin somalilander ah lugu badalaya Farmaajo. Nin puntlander ah uun ba lo wada kursigiisa..mise puntlander ayu dano kale ka leeyahay. Saad sheegtay saan filayo shekadu meel kale buu u wada lool..

as for farmaajo being easy on the eye..koolkat ma odeyga baa easy on the eye? adiga iyo odayaal maxa nikala haysta :P jking.

salaam

The Zack   

NGONGE su'aal xumaa! It is either:

a, He is fully blinded by Qabiil and/or politics

b, Doesn't follow the TFG politics at all.

Farmaajo has brought in the BEST cabinet Somalia has ever had in its entire existence.

Farmaajo STOPPED the corruption in the TFG

Farmaajo paid the Somali national army six months back to back for the first time in 20 years.

Farmaajo told the UN agencies that misuse Somalia's money to f*&( off!

Last but not least, (In more than decades)Farmaajo was the only Somali PM that all Somalia cried for his departure.

Open your eyes duqa dee!

N.O.R.F   

Gabbal;729877 wrote:
Norf, indho adeegu ma fiicno. Look all around you in this topic.

What? People think he shouldn't be asking such questions because he hails from Somaliland so I should therefore agree with them? Meekness baad wadaan.

The paranoia is startling.....

Som@li   

Reports say, Farmaajo will be in the next cabinet, In a high ministerial post, so he is not gone yet.

Aaliyyah   

^lol now dont make NG and his likes cry a river!..even though wali ma fahmin shekadooda gunteeda iyo farmaajo waxa uga 15 ah!

salaam

N.O.R.F   

groupthink.com

xiinfaniin;729847 wrote:
Farmaajo’s Achievement:

1- Competent Cabinet

2- Competent Cabinet

3- Competent Cabinet (And yes there is no military to speak of, so any claim of credit for the AMISOM offense against alshabaab is pure politicking…)

4- Precursor for an emerging consensus in the laymen and enlightened alike that Somalis have no say in their affairs.

Farmaajo’s Shortcomings:

1- Lack of keen appreciation of the extent of foreign meddling in Somali affairs

2- Failed to understand that Somalia in the current political framework has no leverage on the table (ma ku dhuusaysaa Mahiga and the co? The only alternative when faced such humiliation is to join alshabaab, maaha?)

3- Failed to devise any meaningful reconciliation platform where Somalis could sort this mess out

Now, all his shortcomings are understandable in the context of current trusteeship Somalia is technically in. What is not understandable is all the protestations from supposedly educated folks in the cabinet! I for one would like to see another humiliation for the Sharifs, the next PM, and regional leaders so Somalis can be made to understand the value of sovereignty they so recklessly surrendered.

It must be noted though Farmaajo and the majority of his team has just arrived the scene and cannot be blamed the chronic political situation they have been operating in. They could not be excused for not understanding the rules of the game; the relationship between real political stakeholders whose soldiers are dying in the field, and the political operatives either appointed or selected by unaccountable parliament who face the predicament such an arrangement poses.

Here we go!

So its fair to say Farmaajo's resignation stems from not having enough of an understanding of the Somalia political sphere and/or under estimating the influence of outside parties interested in maintaining yes men at the helm.

NASSIR   

Ngonge, I think the revolution of rising expectations theory best captures the former premier and his achievement.

Btw, why do we keen on showing the proclivity to write off "Somalilanders" out of the discussion of our national issues yet insist on how critical Somali unity is at this juncture of our history as one nation . Does it matter which region of Somalia one hails from as long as he or she has legit questions on the leadership qualities and performance of TFG's top leaders.

The way some of us react to our brothers' inquiry of the TFG is unhealthy and we are unknowingly giving "Somaliland" the recognition it so fights to secure.

N.O.R.F   

The way some of us react to our brothers' inquiry of the TFG is unhealthy and
we are unknowingly giving "Somaliland" the recognition it so fights to secure

Funny they actually don't realise that..... :D

Gabbal   

Norf, you are showing a petty side I have not seen from you before. No one was remarking on Ngonge's Somaliland background per se but rather his avid support for the entity's secessionism as well as his recent label of becoming the "spokesman" for the ruling regime there. Now you take that into consideration and look at his critique, you kind of have to question the underlying motivations before you address the substance of the question. Still, we have already come to an understanding.

Even so, you have remarked with a stunningly condescending attitude towards the "islaamo" protesting and even when some of the reasons why this phenomenon occurred has been highlighted, you seem to stick with the petty nature of your response in this particular topic.

Again;

Angry Somali citizens and agitated members of parliament said Tuesday they fear the recent forced resignation of the country's Somali-American prime minister will allow government corruption to rise again, bringing back a time when soldiers went unpaid for months.

Mohamed was seen as the rare honest politician in Mogadishu.

The mother of six said her life has changed dramatically over the past six months.
Three of her children have attended a free government-run school the former prime minister was responsible for opening
. Her son joined the army after being encouraged by the government's renewed seriousness to care for its soldiers, and
brings home about $150 a month.

Mohamed "was like a rain after a long, drawn-out drought," said Ali.
"It's been the best life I have seen for 20 years."

Sadaat Mohamed Nur, the director of the department of planning and training at the Women's Ministry, said he received only two months of salary in 2009 and five months in 2010,
but since Mohamed took office last fall, he has received regular pay.

"I'm worried because the corruption can rear its head again," the 32-year-old said, adding that he put his plans to get married this year on hold "because I don't know what will happen next month."

Mohamed Abdulqadir Mohamud, who works for a local organization called Aragti Relief and Development, said the deal was an affront to
Mohamed's government, which cleaned up government institutions and started to deliver services.

Just in that article, as gleaned from primary sources on the ground, soldiers were getting paid, children were attending new public schools, workers were getting their salaries, civil society was becoming empowered, corruption had been drastically reduced, and Somalis were realizing their shared nationhood which alluded 18 reconciliation conferences...all this in six months with a limited mandate and corrupt officials in the TFG fighting the reforms at every step.

What is so hard to comprehend you feel the need to ask the same question over and over again despite the glaring reality on the ground?

N.O.R.F   

Now why didn’t you provide the above facts without sinking to ‘you’re not from around here so can’t comment’ statements. One senses you thought this was an attack on a certain tribe instead of a question that needed answering.

Don’t lose sleep about my comment on islaamo protesting (I saw it on the news).

nuune   

War illeen anagaa wax aragney, bal let me provide Farmaajo's best attempt in bringing this back, yes, this, no other Somali leader even thought of, not for more than 15 years, bal ila akhriya, Farmaajo was the first to point out:

Ra’isulwasaaraha Soomaaliya Maxamed C/laahi farmaajo oo sheegay in ay xukuumadiisa la wareegayso maamulka hawada Soomaaliya

what did he said in front of the world:

“Hawada soomaaliya waxaa iska leh shacabka Soomaaliyeed Soomaaliyana waa dowlad madaxbanaan sidaasi darteed waa in aynu la wareegnaa Hawadeena xiligaan waxii ka danbeeya “ayuu Yiri ra’isul wasaare maxamed C/laahi farmaajo .

What was the answer of the international kaamuuniti:

Diblomaasiyiin reer Galbeed ah ayaa dhinaca kale ku tala bixiyay in xukuumada Soomaaliya aysan awood u lahayn in ay maamusho hawadeeda laakin kaliya ay rabto in ay hesho lacago sidaasi darteedna aysan suuragal ahayn in xiligaan xukuumada taagta daran ee Soomaaliya in ay codsato in loo madaxbaneeyo hawadeeda si ay u maamusho .

As you can see, Farmaajo was fighting for Somalia's rights, no other leader dared to even mention Somalia's Air Space which generates more than 20 million dollars a year, and this money goes to where, yes, you guessed it right, the UN and its affliaites.

So, in simple terms, Somalia is doing a lot for UN agencies and neighboring countries!

When Farmaajo spoke against the relocation of UN office from Nairobi to Mogadishu, what happened, the whole world screamed, what is this man doing.

When Farmaajo expelled some UN staff from Mogadishu for not doing proper job, what did the UN and the international community responded, who is this man.

I say, the international community sacked Farmaajo, for he knows too much details about in and outside Somalia, and what Somalia stands for, for this reason, he is too much of a man, instead they sacked him, kampala accord, bujumbura accord, bunduq accord iyo balaayaa lala daba galey.

The end result is, we have two illiterate Shariifs, whom the international community can do whatever they want, war naga daaya dee, ee orda bahasha barta nimanyahow.

N.O.R.F   

:D@bahasha barta

Kudos to him. Sounds like he ruffled a few feathers and got on the wrong side of some influencial aid industry people trying to get back what is rightfully Somalia's. But was he too ambitious too soon? Should he have used more guile? I think the man was just too honest for his own good.

NGONGE   

War hadaba i maqla. ...

That Farmajo is a good administrator and competent bureaucrat was already dealt with in my original post. But I’ve already shown you that this is nothing new in Somali affairs and actually gave you the examples of the Courts & Siilaanyo (whom, as you all saw, boasted about their administrative achievements to all and sundry). In addition, because Farmajo was in the job for less than a year, I also gave you the example of the Imam and the endless positive announcements in his first year in power (a fair comparison and legitimate question begs itself there; would Farmajo have ended up as the Imam?).

Last I knew, this was a discussion forum that was (supposedly) a touch above the “waxa la yedhi” jungle of Somali coffee shops and streets. To regurgitate the arguments of wailing women in the streets of Mogadishu or the phone-in programs of U TV tells me nothing at all. “Farmajo waa nin fiican” ka godba and tell me what, why and how he became such a popular man (and is it justified?).

Actually, let us turn it on its head or at least try to come at things from a different angle. Let us ask the question of what the mass hysteria regarding the resignation of Farmajo is hoping to achieve! In fact, let us assume that, like the Arab uprisings, this random protest does make a change and force the powers that be to reinstate Farmajo. What next? Is he politically savvy enough to outmanoeuvre the two Sharifs? Does he have the political know-how to chart a course for Somalia towards peace and hopeful prosperity? I personally do not believe he could. After all, the man was forced to resign the minute he was faced with his first direct political problem (the fallout with the Imam was a simple nuisance).

So why the wailing and deafening hullabaloo? Well, since you do not know your own minds I suppose I am forced to explain. Human nature has always been about rooting for the underdog. We want Odysseus to reach home; feel for Hector as he defends his homeland; sympathise with a cat that is being cornered by a group of dogs; Support the Chinese man standing in front of that tank; admire Ghandi, Dr King, Malcolm X or good old Mandela. It is natural to reject unfairness and support the victim. Here, Farmajo was a victim of a nasty deal that was concocted by the two Sharifs and their supporters. It is understandable and normal that everyone feels angry about such a deal and sympathises with poor Farmajo. Still, there is a whole world of difference between being a victim of circumstances and deceit to becoming an indispensible hero, in the same way that there is a difference between sympathy and glorification.

There was a rumour in SOL when Farmajo first took over that he was actually a member of this forum. Ordinarily, I would not fall for such rumours and “waxa la yedhi” claptrap. However, having known that another regular member of this forum is/was a serving member of Sheikh Sharif’s backroom staff, I would not hasten to dismiss the Farmajo rumour just yet. The revelation or possibility may make some proud of the idea of rubbing shoulders with such exalted company (indeed, the lion teaser may be rubbing his hands with glee already) but, to me, such a thought is depressing and extremely alarming. For in my six years in this place I am yet to come across an argument worthy of such lofty positions or (presumably) brilliant minds. This, of course, is not to say that I think the place is full of fools or that I dare to accuse any of you of lacking any intelligence. I merely state this point in relation to the thought that some of you may actually have an actual, real and genuine part in the way the current Somali government/politics is displayed and run. If such is the case, the answers to my questions in the original post seem utterly pathetic and clueless.

As for the rest of you (those who, like me, are ordinary forum participants with no leg in any actual political camps), you too are (with respect of course) pathetic. Yet, yours is not a problem of understanding or comprehension. Your case is similar to a woman who gave birth to ten children! When asked “Why did you put yourself through the pain of childbirth ten consecutive times?” her reply was “After a few months, you forget about the pain”!

<O:p</O:p

So come back with me down memory lane. Remember the days when Yusuf was in charge and he dismissed Gedi? Remember the arguments that ensued before and after the dismissals? Remember the time when he sacked Nur Cade and gave his job to Guled? Remember how you felt (well, except if you were a Yusuf fan of course)? Remember how Nur Cade was hailed a hero when he got his UN/IGAD backers to outset Yusuf and go ahead with the Djibouti conference? Remember the Asmara lot and how they were treated as patriotic and heroic (even though all they did was run to another country and shout from the sides)? Remember how the sham stitch-up of Sheikh Sharif’s election panned out and how the same ladies in Xamar were out in the streets in gratuitous celebration? How many of you vehemently supported Gedi, Cade, Yusuf or Sharif only to be let down by their subsequent actions? How many of you went through that rollercoaster of high emotions and little thought? It seems to me that most of you are still on it. Nay, most of you are addicted to this unhealthy diet of emotional swings and roundabouts!

Well. GET OFF! Look around you and set yourself some goals. Have a criterion for support. Put Farmajo or anyone that you decide to support and wail for under a huge microscope. Ask yourself what is it that you expect from these people and what is the minimum acceptable target. Ask yourself what is your ultimate goal and if a competent cabinet is the be all and end all of Somali problems. Ask yourself why is Farmajo not making capital of this valuable support and if he is worth such support after all. Ask yourself what are Farmajo’s achievements! And when you’ve done it all and found a reasonable reply come back to me and we can move on to Xiin & nuune's new hobby of blaming it all on outside influences.