Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

EXCLUSIVE THREAD: 18th of May, The 20th Anniversary of Somaliland

NGONGE   

Just go back. It took me ages to make it there (even though it's normally a short journey on the tube). The Jubilee line was suspended because of a "person under a train"! I will not lie and say that the thought of an Al Shabab plot had not crossed my mind (:D).

As I was going out the station, an SL older lady who was draped in the St George flag (does she know the meaning I wonder) beckoned me and shouted "Waa xaagaa, dhinacaa o soco, walaal".

Once outside, I found myself walking amongst the dozens of tourists that populate that area at this time of year. Still, within seconds of walking amongst them the tempting lilts of the Burcaawi tongue started wafting their way into my ears. To my left, there were at least ten young fillies walking and chattering excitedly; to my right another ten were arguing about the correct direction.

As I stood at the traffic lights waiting to cross the road to the other side, I could still hear the conversation behind me. It reminded me of the two niqaabi girls in H town who once stood behind me and were egging each other to ask me for a dollar for the bus fair home (could it be that they made it to London now? Viva tahreeb). This group did not bother asking for directions, they just followed me around (even though, between me and you, I really didn't know the correct way).

Suddenly, a stationary bus moved and my vision was filled with an endless number of fluttering SL flags, then the sounds of happy songs started to fill the air around me. For an unrepeatable split second the entire world seemed to be SOMALILAND.

I casually strolled towards the crowd and started looking around for any recognisable faces. There was nobody that I personally knew there but all the faces were very familiar. Still, if I didn't spot any loved ones, friends or even passing acquaintances, what would be the point of supporting this rally for Somaliland? One must belong and it's a bit much to ask someone to belong when he does not know any of those others claiming to belong too!

Someone tried to pass me an SL flag but I shook my head and walked away from him with my hands firmly dug into my pockets. I carried on scanning the immediate vicinity. There were lots of girls, lots of very pretty girls. If I was not sure about belonging to the country itself I was more than sure that I belonged in THIS pretty crowd. Of course, all those boyish thoughts vanished the minute I spotted one of my mother's friends (yes, I go all the way to take part and the first person I spot is my bloody mummy's friend! I had to behave now, dammit).

After ten minutes of standing around and listening to the "chicken noise" that most large Somali crowds make, I decided that it's time for me to go back to work. Just as I was attempting to fight me way out of the incoming crowd, an old white man who was wearing the SL flag hobbled towards me and asked me if I were from Mogadishu! “No, I’m from Addis” I replied.

On my way back to the station, I met dozens of others making their way to the gathering (I was only there for ten minutes to be honest). As luck would have it, every last person I met was someone I knew and, as is usual, they all kept asking me why was I going the “wrong way”. “Shaqo, shaqo” I replied as I kept on hurrying away from them.

All in all, the whole thing looked impressive and peaceful. Cirka..cirka..:D

Qaranki;720565 wrote:
Just seen these pics of the London demo on the #Somaliland twitter feed

scaled.php?tn=0&server=612&filename=9k8i

scaled.php?tn=0&server=611&filename=valo

Very nice England laftigeeda walaga dabaal dagay

Thankful   

JB what do you think of the Provisional List of Delegates and other Participants According to Information received as of 15 MAY 2011??

If you see your enclave's health minister is under Somalia. And the Chief delegate is the TFG Health Minister

http://apps.who.int/gb/ebwha/pdf_files/WHA64/A64_DIV1.pdf

SOMALIA - SOMALIE

Chief delegate - Chef de délégation

Dr A.H.I. Daud

Minister of Health and Human Services, Transitional Federal

Government

Delegate(s) - Délégué(s)

Dr A.A. Warsame

Minister of Health, Puntland State

Dr H.M. Mohamed

Minister of Health, Somaliland

Saalax   

Qaranki;720565 wrote:
Just seen these pics of the London demo on the #Somaliland twitter feed

scaled.php?tn=0&server=612&filename=9k8i

scaled.php?tn=0&server=611&filename=valo

Nice pictures.

Thankful   

With all due respect Salaax, I wasn't writing this to you.

Also, you post the same pics on multiple threads.

Your Health Minister is representing under Somalia's delegation to the World Health Organization 64th session. Awdal has had counter rallies for the first time in 20 years!!

Things are changing towards unity!