Sign in to follow this  
Che -Guevara

Somalia`s New Tongue Twisting Names

Biyokulule Online

Wednesday, April 06, 2011

1.JPG

The Somali intellectuals are deeply affected by the scars of the long civil war and subsequently are experiencing a sort of psychological complex (such as westofication, arabization, or afrocentrism). They are therefore struggling to obliterate the names and histories of this ancient people called Somalis.

First, Roobdoon Forum has to commend the creation of regional administrations that is based on “Do-It-Yourself” democracy or “bottom-up approach”.

As a rule of thumb, the renaming of geographic spots should be permitted in instances of preservation of a historical and cultural heritage of the peoples who inhabit in those regions. That is, it can be tolerated for the purposes of the return to the names widely known in the past.

However, the problem is that some of the new regional names seriously require some attention and a formula under which all Somali regions should have an agreed Somali names.

The new administrations, formed in the last two decades, forged names that are new to the Somali ears. They called their entities Somaliland, Puntland, Midland etc. Even if they concocted these names to test Somalis` level of sensitivity and reaction, these attempts are challenged and some of them would meet a disgraceful defeat and a bad name for those who planned it.

Many Somalis do not agree to names that are anglicized or borrowed to replace Somali ones – such as Somaliland, Puntland, and Midland. For them, to accept the renaming of these regions as such constitutes a betrayal in regards to the use of geographic names that do not have both historical and cultural symbolism to them.

During the colonial era, it was common to change names of places like streets, towns, and regions just to be named after a colonial officer or even a European town. However, since independence (and before this failed State) Somalis were taking more pride in their roots and heritage.

Giving Somali regions to imported or anglicized Somali names has no real significance that would make it worth to fight and shed blood. However, its usage reflects the continued state of inferiority complex inherited from the colonial period. It also reveals the contradictory thinking of these Somali leaders and intellectuals who manifest a thought that is in favour of Somali causes against the alien culture. They manifest in despising Somali names, on the one hand, and glorify Somali culture and language, on the other.

By using these imported/and anglicized Somali names, the Somali people will remain victims of the backward mentality of these leaders. Instead of perceiving all the richness of the Somali language and literature, these leaders seek to borrow foreign terms, driven by the love of foreign taste.

Adding Salt to Injury

Adding salt to injury, Professor Mohamed Abdi Gandhi made last week another unreasonably arrogant gesture when a new foreign word, Azania*, is named to parts of Somalia.

It is indisputable that Gandhi is a Somali scholar and he deserves respect. The name Azania will not prevent the Forum from confirming this fact. However, our concerns are justifiable due to the fact that Somali people were excluded from the process of defining themselves.

Read

nuune   

lol tongue twisting, was thinking to bring up some old Somali tongue twisting,

Say this with speed:

mar i wad mar is wad,

mar i wad mar is wad,

mar i wad mar is wad,

mar i wad mar is wad,

repeat them by saying quickly

Qaranki   

Some of the names do have historical significance which is why they were used, for example the obvious being Somaliland. It would have been unwise to choose a different name considering that is what that region is known as in the history books and throughout the world. Puntland has gone even way back in time reviving a name for its region (though some may dispute this), from ancient Egyptian times.

It's similar with the Oga'den region, though that region is inhabited by various clans, the region has historically been known as 'The Oga'den region' and with them seeking independence it would be confusing to adopt a different name.

I do agree with the article though concerning the other names, not sure why Galmudug and Ximaan iyo Xeeb's leaders are included in that picture.

Bashiir   

May be it's time that most if not all of these old men retire, and let their sons do the job, I am sure there are many talented young leaders in every tuulo of Somalia....

The tinny revolution,...

Som@li   

Qaranki, So it is OK to see everything thru the eyes of your former masters. Colonials!

These names are borrowed, and is still part of colonial mentality, They must be removed all together, have no place in modern Somalia, the irony is the local people can't even pronounce..

nuune;709557 wrote:
lol tongue twisting, was thinking to bring up some old Somali tongue twisting,

Say this with speed:

mar i wad mar is wad,

mar i wad mar is wad,

mar i wad mar is wad,

mar i wad mar is wad,

repeat them by saying quickly

Waar hablaha ha waydiin waxaas ,,,,,,, :D

gooni   

waxaa la yaab leh raggaas meesha ku sawiran nin kheyr loogu duceeyo ku leh umadiisa kuma jiro, marka laga reebo nin kaliya oo aysan ahayn inuu ku sawiroba meeshaas!

Che -Guevara;709554 wrote:
Cartoon54_1.jpg

LooL...Bur-Bur iyo Balaayo waa in meel loo helo. Anigu, if I could choose a state name, I would go for Marqaan-land. Unless it was already taken.

Taleexi   

Oba... inuu qoslo gar buu u leeyahay.... anigaba belo ayaa iga raacday. Putting that aside, the argument of we've no choice of adapting indigenous names waa gabood fal iyo is hagrasho caqliyeed. Bombay to Mumbai, Burma to Myanmar and still French streets that had being given English names are in continual alterations to French names.... On the other hand, places or countries can have two names for instance anglicized and indigenous Suomi = Finland, Sverige = Sweden and many more are in existence …. How easy Bosnia Herzegovina is!