Sign in to follow this  
The Zack

Goodbye T-Mobile Maryooleey will miss you

Waxaa la ga reysanaa, "Halaaw, ma imaqashaa"-iyo the numerous tower shut downs that tmobile has, not to mention the superior phone availability which includes, the mighty iphone.

& I can finally have my family and friends on the same network.

Taleexi   

The Zack:

First of all, even though I'm not aware of the inner-workings of the deal it is very likely that the FCC and other relevant agencies will approve this since it doesn't fall within the scope of monopoly. 2ndly, my personal service provider is T-Mobile thus, I know the lucrative data plans of T-Mobile however, do you think that ATT, Verizon and Sprint can not compete with the same prices if they exploit the producer surpluses in their respective spectrum like T-Mobile is?. Clearly, other providers use price discrimination more frugally and milk efficiently the consumer surplus of the demand and supply.

I'm not saying that the acquisition is not a news maker but its impact is minimal. 30 million more customers for ATT is something but not a game changer. Be mind many loyal, current T-mobile customers will switch soon after the take over is finalized if ATT doesn't respect the purchasing power of existing customers. It is to their own benefit that these lucrative data plans be altered minimally.

Finally, when I said Skype, vodafone and others will fill the gap I didn't ignore that one needed a data plan.... but remember ATT, Verizon and Sprint are not the only ones which provide data plans.... my intention was you can get connection from a library, coffee shop and home...... use the service on someone else's expenses..... I still stand by that this acquisition will not have a drastic impact on our way of life. And let us see if Verizon makes an offer to Sprint.

The Zack   

Taleexi;704087 wrote:
The Zack:

2ndly, my personal service provider is T-Mobile thus, I know the lucrative data plans of T-Mobile however, do you think that ATT, Verizon and Sprint can not compete with the same prices if they exploit the producer surpluses in their respective spectrum like T-Mobile is?..

No, I don't think so, if Verizon Wireless and AT&T offer the same price plans that T-Mobile USA offers, they will be out of business in days. Are you kidding me? It will be that or their network will not be able to handle the data traffic. These companies currently have about 100 million customers each, if they offer unlimited data option with a cheap price, their network will be dead. A great example is AT&T's poor service in both New York City and San Fransisco. That is why AT&T caps their data plans to discourage users not to over use it. As a T-Mobile customer, you should be worried sxb.

Jacpher   

Sprint Opposes AT&T Takeover of T-Mobile

Sprint Nextel has made it official: The third larger U.S. wireless carrier is opposed to AT&T's proposed $39 billion takeover of T-Mobile USA. The official announcement comes as no surprise, as Sprint CEO Dan Hesse criticized the recently announced merger last week at the International CTIA conference in Orlando, Florida. During a keynote panel session, Hesse said the deal would hurt consumers by consolidating the majority of U.S. wireless subscribers and revenue in the hands of two companies: AT&T-T-Mobile and Verizon Wireless.

Sprint continued its attacks with Monday's announcement.

"The transaction...would reverse nearly three decades of actions by the U.S. government and the courts that modernized and opened U.S. communications markets to competition," Sprint said in a statement.

The merger will need approval from the Department of Justice and the Federal Communications Commission, and will likely spark contentious debates during U.S. Congressional hearings.

A combined AT&T-T-Mobile would create a wireless provider that's nearly three times the size of Sprint in terms of revenue. As a result, the mega-carrier "would entrench AT&T's and Verizon's duopoly control over the wireless market," Sprint argues.

"Sprint urges the United States government to block this anti-competitive acquisition," said Vonya McCann, senior vice president of government affairs, in the statement. "This transaction will harm consumers and harm competition at a time when this country can least afford it."

Calling the proposed merger a "new Ma Bell duopoly," Sprint vowed to fight the transaction "on behalf of our customers, our industry, and our country."

Verizon Wireless, currently the largest wireless provider in the U.S., is a joint venture of Verizon Communications and Vodafone. Today's AT&T is a partial recreation of the original Bell System, which was split into seven regional Bell operating companies (RBOCs) in 1984. One of those seven, Southwestern Bell (later SBC), changed its name to AT&T in 2005 after buying the remains of the original AT&T corporation.

Consumer groups have voiced their opposition to the AT&T-T-Mobile union as well.

"Don't believe the hype: There is nothing about having less competition that will benefit wireless consumers. And if regulators approve this deal, they will further cement duopoly control over the wireless market by AT&T and Verizon," said Free Press research sirector S. Derek Turner in a March 20thstatement after the merger was announced.

"A market this concentrated -- where the top four companies already control 90 percent of the business, and two of them want to merge -- means nothing but higher prices and fewer choices, as the newly engorged AT&T and Verizon exert even more control over the wireless Internet," said Turner.

The Zack   

Great take on Sprint PCS's side. AT&T is trying to re-establish the monopoly it had on the telecommunication like it had some decades ago. Having 130 million customer as a result of buying out another entire company is just ridiculous! I hope the FCC stops this deal. The big red needs to stay the biggest wireless provider in the US :D.