Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

After some debate, Obama team has now decided to back friendly dictators in trouble

The Wall Street Journal is reporting a troubling new development.

WASHINGTON—After weeks of internal debate on how to respond to uprisings in the Arab world, the Obama administration is settling on a Middle East strategy: help keep longtime allies who are willing to reform in power, even if that means the full democratic demands of their newly emboldened citizens might have to wait.

Instead of pushing for immediate regime change—as it did to varying degrees in Egypt and now Libya—the U.S. is urging protesters from Bahrain to Morocco to work with existing rulers toward what some officials and diplomats are now calling "regime alteration."

The approach has emerged amid furious lobbying of the administration by Arab governments, who were alarmed that President Barack Obama had abandoned Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak and worried that, if the U.S. did the same to the beleaguered king of Bahrain, a chain of revolts could sweep them from power, too, and further upend the region's stability.

Read More

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703580004576180522653787198.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStories

Saudi Leaders Terrified of Upcoming Protest

Saudi Arabia has sent as many as 10,000 security forces into its Shia Muslim provinces in preparation for next week's "day of rage." So far, Saudi Arabia has been spared much of the unrest in the region but that could all change next week if, as expected, thousands of Saudis gather in Riyadh and in the Shia-dominated northeast to protest on Friday. "Saudi security officials have known for more than a month that the revolt of Shia Muslims in the tiny island of Bahrain was expected to spread to Saudi Arabia," writes Robert Fisk in the Independent. Protesters are apparently expecting security forces to respond violently and are planning to put women on the front lines to dissuade them from opening fire. If the protests do materialize, it won't just be bad news for the House of Saud, but also for the White House. It's much easier to abandon Libya than Saudi Arabia. On Saturday, after a protest by about 100 people, the Saudi Interior Ministry issued a statement making it clear demonstrations will not be tolerated and warning that security forces have been authorized to "act against violators," reports the Associated Press.

http://slatest.slate.com/id/2287455/

With new American support, confidence is growing among Arab dictators that they can now crush any uprising . Yemen's president has boldly rejected any deal with the opposition today, as he ordered his military to shoot at protesters killing four. Bahrain's monarchy has decided to ignore the silly noises coming from its shiite protesters after it became clear Obama is fully behind the family.

It seems Arab dictators are digging in as initial fear subsides.

What is next?

^what is troubling to me is that you finding the above news 'troubling'....

first, you were shocked that Tunisia fell, now you are shocked that Gaddafi is holding on, atleast for the time being and worse, you are troubled by the news that Obama is protecting the interest of his country...

It makes good headlines, seeing as how Anderson Cooper's vains pop up whenever he mentions Mubarak's name and now Gadaffi's name seems to have created an ulcer problem for him, so we ultimately belief what we are fed, which is that the middle east was swept by a wave of revolutionary, when in fact, reality is far from it.

Contrary to popular believe, Obama never once abandoned Mubarak, Mubarak abandoned Mubarak.

Obama was very much in tune with whatever came out of Cairo, that being said, it was he, along with his allies in the Egyptian military who felt the trouble and noise coming out of naar square was not worth risking the military' prestige and risk civil war or prolonged unrest, hence why he stepped down.

Bahrain is reported to have bought its citizens, is that surprising? Not really, these regimes have long been buying political support(case example, Saudia Arabia, since 1920s, they have been buying support and legitimacy), from one faction or another, so all of a sudden, this is unfolding in real time and somehow we are let to people that these wolves are worse today than they were yesterday, why?because al jazeera and co are reporting the atrocities going on in the cities in real time etc....(they were always monsters, they didnt become monsters overnight, Obama knew this, which is why he comes across as very timid when issuing press releases or taking a stand, as he is on just about anything, domestic or foreign. Wherever the wind blows, thats the direction Obama takes but somehow that shocks supporters, they forget that he is a politician first)

So, again, I ask, what is more troubling, the news or that you find the news troubling?

^they say that authoritarian regimes while they rule, their collapse appears inconceivable, but after they’ve fallen their demise appears to have been inevitable.

let me asure everyone here that the obama administration has decided on nothing despite the rumor mill, it is not their tradition to hold on to any principle, they only react and that will be the case with every new "uprising" in the middle east. however, it seems unfathomable that given a popular uprising V.S. old order, they have any options. aside from militaristic decisions, they have no option but to support the masses demanding democracy...

ANWAR   

I do not hate any other ethnic rase more than Arab. I HATE THEM SO MUCH!!

But i love my prophet Muhammad (pboh) and his followers

Lazie, I see Obama waad iska dhex aragtahy ever since he threw your buddy Mubarak under the bus. :D. Cheer up walaal.

Naxar, we shall see awoowe. Hopefully, something real ominous is not brewing.

*ANWAR*;699900 wrote:
I do not hate any other ethnic rase more than Arab. I HATE THEM SO MUCH!!

But i love my prophet Muhammad (pboh) and his followers

Why do you hate them astaghfirullah? Don't you know the people they are killing are also Arabs? Doqonnimo 101 wallahi. You should first look at your own people ***** yo. 20 years of civil war and we're schoked that those govs. shoot at protestors? What do they do in ******** land? What are they doing now against the Somalis in SSC? Shut up man.

Jacpher   

^Replace the word Arab with SL and that just defines you.

Once these protesters find their voices, they can form large crowds and things go out of control by then. There is no saying who and what they can change.

Kamaavi   

So it is coming down to the turning point of let's defend foreign dictators against their own people....

Is the O team ready yet? ,,,