Sign in to follow this  
Libaax-Sankataabte

Keith Olbermann is fired by Comcast

Keith is out of MSNBC. The most popular show on the network has finally come to an end. TMZ is reporting conservative-run Comcast which just took over NBC pulled the plug on the show. Not good for the progressives. I am sure talented Keith will find a new home.

Good luck Keith.

r-KEITH-OLBERMANN-huge.jpg

Update: Comcast is denying they are behind the firing of Keith

“Comcast has not closed the transaction for NBCU and has no operational control at any of its properties including MSNBC. We pledged from the day the deal was announced that we would not interfere with NBCU’s news operations. We have not & we will not.”

I’m a bit baffled (and miffed) by their decision to terminate his contract. I scoured a few progressive blogs like DailyKos to find more details, but no one really has any information. And I doubt it has anything to do with the putative wish of conservative executives at Comcast to quash liberal opinion. I guess we’ll know more in the next few days.

Liibaax Sankataabe, I've got better gossip for you than TMZ. It's apparently a case of being way too arrogant and difficult of a host for a show that isn't making any money. He can be easily fired without any real financial ramifications ("most popular show" translates only to less than a mil viewers in this case). So one can understand the decision behind this. Hats off for not sucking up to the new guys, though!

Sensei   

Owner's, Al Gore & Joel Hyatt, statement(partial) :

;812205 wrote:
We are moving ahead by honoring Current's values. Current has a fundamental obligation to deliver news programming with a progressive perspective that our viewers can count on being available daily -- especially now, during the presidential election campaign. Current exists because our audience desires the kind of perspective, insight and commentary that is not easily found elsewhere in this time of big media consolidation.

Olberman's response tweet(excerpt):

;812205 wrote:
It goes almost without saying that the claims against me implied in Current's statement are untrue and will be proved so in the legal actions I will be filing against them presently. To understand Mr. Hyatt's "values of respect, openness, collegiality and loyalty," I encourage you to read of a previous occasion Mr. Hyatt found himself in court for having unjustly fired an employee. That employee's name was Clarence B. Cain.

In due course, the truth of the ethics of Mr. Gore and Mr. Hyatt will come out. For now, it is important only to again acknowledge that joining them was a sincere and well-intentioned gesture on my part, but in retrospect a foolish one. That lack of judgment is mine and mine alone, and I apologize again for it.

Sensei   

Che -Guevara;812209 wrote:
^Obama II Press Secretary

The above wont be short of political suicide. It is bad enough the White house has to deal with gaffes of Biden.

Jacpher   

Keith is fire but the replacement is a disgraced former new york governor? The story just started and probably end badly in court.