Sign in to follow this  
MoonLight1

Why Somaliland is not South Sudan.

Since some ppl draw a misleading comparison parallel between South Sudan's referendum and S'land I would say the two cases are different altogether, let me give you my humble view.

1) This marriege between the south and north Sudan was a forced one since the British empire did not give the Southerns any chance to express their idea against this marreige on 1st of January 1956. British Somaliland & Italian Somaliland's marriege was a consented one between the bride and the groom.

2) South Sudan's independency has always been supported since 1983 by the neocons & church institutions of USA led by Rev: Jimmy Carter, plus the Jewish lobby groups who always saw South Sudan state as a brotherly state to Israel and a pressure to Egypt's nile resource.

3) South Sudan has one of the largest oil fields in Africa which gives to it a unique status between the competing sides such as China & USA.

4) Ethiopia will never accept a third breakaway republic (Somaliland) on its backyard since it had two in less than two decades (Eretria 1993, South Sudan 2011), accepting another nation will energise the sepretist rebels in Ethiopia such as ONLF, OLF, AFAR, and other armed groups.

5) South Sudan's independency is supported by very influential regional African countries such as Kenya and Uganda.

6) The South Sudanese people are united under the SPLM leadership and all South Sudan territories are under their control, there are no unionist regions in South Sudan, but there are parts of Somaliland not controlled by that goverment and there are a very large number of people oppose to the idea of breakaway such as sool, sanaag and a good porpotion of awdalites.

UWSLF   

We should know who rules the world, you can't just make your own country and expect people to recognize it. Unless Somalilanders convert to Christianity and oil pops up, I have no hope.

Just like how people in the ONLF are begging UN to make them an own country, the UN/West is the one financing Ethiopia in the first place.

JB

Ma intaasaad ka soo fekeraysay ?? ,,,

XX

^^^loool Moonlight siday 2011 u bilaabmatay wu ka so fakirayey

haha JB, at least I wrote this, not copy and paste.

Xaaji,be your own man not JBs parrot, come up with valid points not emotional outburst, the world politics is not built on emotions.

your analyzation moonlight is based on your own emotions african borders are about to be redefined in africa for the First time sudan the largest country of africa is about to be divided. And there is nothing the arab world the african union or the arab league can do about it. Somaliland is a different case though there are some similarities both countries were fighting for decades for self determination, the only difference is North sudan has a functioning state. While Somalia the country we declared independence from is a failed state. The other difference is south sudan has no defined borders the borders near abiye are about be drawn.

Ethiopia in the long term will support Somaliland independence for now they don't want to see a strong Somaliland next door the ,, status quo is fine for now but a Mogadisho and hargeysa united is something they are against. so there are some differences and some similarities.

UWSLF   

Xaaji Xunjuf;686589 wrote:
^^ Don't lose hope my friend kosovo is muslim to and serbia was not one day u will get your independence.

The UN/West were never behind Serbia, thats East Europe block, they couldn't care less. The UN/West was/is behind Ethiopia and they don't want a indepedent Somaliland because the Slanders wouldn't need them anymore. Inshallah all will get their freedom and justice for all.

Ethiopia in the long term will support Somaliland independence for now they don't want to see a strong Somaliland next door the ,, status quo is fine for now but a Mogadisho and hargeysa united is something they are against. so there are some differences and some similarities.

. What a shame when you prefer alliance with Ethiopia than your very Somali people.

Good points Moonlight, I will add:

South Sudan is getting its independance after coming to terms with Sudan. The road for independance for Somliland must go thru Mogadishu.

Western diplomats say Somaliland probably has the strongest case to be recognized as a nation, because it is the most democratic part of Somalia and is
. This summer, Somaliland
in which the incumbent president lost and gracefully handed over power to the opposition, a rarity in Africa considering the disputed elections in Ivory Coast, Kenya, Zimbabwe and elsewhere.

Somaliland representatives were in Juba, trying to buttonhole Western and African dignitaries and plead for recognition of Somaliland. “I’m encouraged,” said Abdillahi M. Duale, a former Somaliland government minister, who met with Mr. Mbeki this past week. “What’s happening here in South Sudan is going to help us.”

From New York Times ..............................

MoonLight1;686458 wrote:
Since some ppl draw a misleading comparison parallel between South Sudan's referendum and S'land I would say the two cases are different altogether, let me give you my humble view.

1) This marriege between the south and north Sudan was a forced one since the British empire did not give the Southerns any chance to express their idea against this marreige on 1st of January 1956. British Somaliland & Italian Somaliland's marriege was a consented one between the bride and the groom.

2) South Sudan's independency has always been supported since 1983 by the neocons & church institutions of USA led by Rev: Jimmy Carter, plus the Jewish lobby groups who always saw South Sudan state as a brotherly state to Israel and a pressure to Egypt's nile resource.

3) South Sudan has one of the largest oil fields in Africa which gives to it a unique status between the competing sides such as China & USA.

4) Ethiopia will never accept a third breakaway republic (Somaliland) on its backyard since it had two in less than two decades (Eretria 1993, South Sudan 2011), accepting another nation will energise the sepretist rebels in Ethiopia such as ONLF, OLF, AFAR, and other armed groups.

5) South Sudan's independency is supported by very influential regional African countries such as Kenya and Uganda.

6) The South Sudanese people are united under the SPLM leadership and all South Sudan territories are under their control, there are no unionist regions in South Sudan, but there are parts of Somaliland not controlled by that goverment and there are a very large number of people oppose to the idea of breakaway such as sool, sanaag and a good porpotion of awdalites.

So let me summarize your arguments in here. Basicly you sum up what the neocons & church institutions want, what China & USA interest are, what Ethiopia wants, what Kenya and Uganda want, etc.

Now my questions is how about what the people want? Is that not relevant?

Qodax & Qorax

So let me summarize your arguments in here. Basicly you sum up what the neocons & church institutions want, what China & USA interest are, what Ethiopia wants, what Kenya and Uganda want, etc.

Now my questions is how about what the people want? Is that not relevant?

Qodax sxb if the world cared about what ppl want they would've done so to nations who were fighting for independence and recognition long before Sland existed, take for example the case of Kashmir, they wanted their independency since the partition of India/Pakistan 1948 and were fighting the Indian army since the eighties, Take the case of Palestine, Tibet, Taiwan, Xingan region, Chechnia, South Philipine, Kurdistan of Iraq, Kurdistan of Turkey, Kurdistan of Iran, Nagorno Karabakh of Armenia, Abkhazia, Barbers of North Africa, All these nations and many more unanimously agree to become their own states and would vote for self determination if given chance, but the world politics works on pressure groups, pure self interest, and world/regional stability concerns, if America sees its pure interest on the independent of Kosovo it will do so, if it sees Kurds remaining part of Iraq as its short term interest, it will do so.

So, your not an oil rich nation, your not an "opressed" christian nation, You don't have the support of regional big players, your people are not unanimous on independency, So tell me why America cares about your recognition. Darfur has more chances than you guys.

Xaaji, yes your right statuesque of Somalia works well for Ethiopia, Ethiopia is in a real dilemma in here, on one hand a breakaway Sland will be beneficial to them as a two Somali states will be weaker to claim Soomaali Galbeed anymore, but on the other hand to recognise another state on its door step will be the beginning of the end for Ethiopia as it will encourage separatist movements on its soil. So your right a statuesque works perfect for Ethiopia, but the sad thing is you guys think that statuesque is triumph for you.

South Sudan is getting its independance after coming to terms with Sudan. The road for independance for Somliland must go thru Mogadishu.

Peace action your right, I was telling the Slanders long time that they are banging their head on a wall called (Recognition), the two newest nations in Africa, Eretria & South Sudan got their recognition first through Addis Ababa & Khartoum, if the landers are serious about getting their own state they must get into the politics of the south and lobby through the corridors of Muqdisho rather than wasting their energy into endless CASHA SHARAF banquetes in Kuwait and Iceland, I would say this is the perfect chance for Siilaanyo to change the last 20 years path and overcome this blackmailing emotional victimhood of "Dayaarado baa nalagu laayay", South Sudan & Eretria were bombed from the Air Million times and they still got their state first through their oppressors.

Qaranki   

^Do you honestly believe the TFG is on par with the govts that granted Eritrea and South Sudan their referendums?

Lol at the thought of there ever being any corridors of power in Mogadishu.