Sign in to follow this  
- Femme -

Iranian women to lead prayers

Iranian women to lead prayers

Iranian women play a central role in Iran's reformist movement

Islamic religious leaders in Iran have lifted a ban on women leading prayers.

They will now be able to lead congregations of women worshippers for the first time.

The measure is intended to counter declining interest in Islam among young Iranians, particularly young women.

Until now only men have been allowed to lead congregational prayers in both the Sunni and Shiite Muslim traditions.

'Major development'

The religious decree, or fatwa, was issued by six senior clerics, or 'marjas' (sources of emulation in religious matters).

President Khatami owes his election win to the women's vote 'Major development'

Women are to be allowed to lead congregations of women in prayer, particularly on Fridays, the main weekly communal prayer.

Ali Asghar Nuri, an Education Ministry official, said the hope is that the decree will encourage young women to join in prayers.

"The employment of women as leaders of Friday congregation prayers at the head of other women during prayers held at schools constitutes a major development," Mr Nuri told the Iranian news agency Irna.

Women's victory

The change in law and practice is being seen as a victory for women's movements in Iran, where the traditional male privileges in politics and in the clergy are being challenged.

Women have played a central role in recent years in the reformist movement that now dominates the Iranian parliament, and in the election of reformist president Mohammad Khatami in 1997.

OG_Girl   

hmm I would say some thing but that would make you upset..lol

Seriouslly , just to let you know they have in Iran their own school of fehq. Is hard to understand for some one... let me say who is Somali !!! redface.gifredface.gif

Salam

Cawralo   

Another brainwashed muslima who takes part in this quasi debate, oppressed women my ... The concept of the oppressed muslim woman is the opiate of the western feminist strugle. How pathetic.

Qac Qaac   

Hey i don't think, and we should ask the person who open this topic, the problem is not woman leading by a woman group..

but the problem is woman leading fridays prayers camal..

lol @ cowrala...