Sign in to follow this  
AYOUB

Somalis say no to peace force

AYOUB   

news24.com 08/01/2005 10:49 - (SA)

Mogadishu, Somalia - Thousands of Somalis marched through Mogadishu, condemning the African Union's plans to send peacekeepers to help ensure the safe return of a new government currently based in neighboring Kenya.

Some 25 000 men, women and children demonstrated in the capital after Friday's prayers, spurred on by Islamic clerics who are unhappy with plans to deploy the African force intended to help restore order in the anarchic nation.

Hundreds of heavily armed militias loyal to the Islamic clerics guarded the protesters. The influential clerics have been projecting themselves as an alternative to the numerous warlords running a patchwork of clan-based fiefdoms in Somalia and espouse a government based on fundamentalist Islam.

The Horn of Africa nation has had no central government since 1991, when opposition leaders ousted dictator Mohamed Siad Barre. Then they turned on each other, deepening the anarchy in this nation of seven million.

Somalis should prepare for a holy war against foreign peacekeepers, Sheikh Sharif Ahmed Mohamed, head of the Supreme Council of the Islamic Courts, told demonstrators.

"Remember what happened in Somalia in 1993," Sharif said, referring to the killing of 18 American troops in the country during a mission to detain a former Somali warlord and his aides. The killing led to a US pullout from Somalia, triggering the eventual withdrawal of the United Nations peacekeeping mission.

Only Somalis can solve problems in their country, Sharif said while calling on recruits to join the Islamic courts' militia force with a warning: "look at what is going on in Iraq".

The clerics' show of strength is a major challenge to Somalia's government, which was sworn in Friday in Kenya, where it is based because the Somali capital is considered too dangerous.

The new government, formed after complex negotiations between warlords, clan leaders and civil society representatives, is negotiating a safe return to Somalia.

Somalia's civil war has left more than half a million dead, two million driven from their homes and 1.5 million refugees in neighboring countries. The new government has no civil service, treasury or even buildings to meet in.

Gabbal   

Only Somalis can solve problems in their country

I concur, because I've been against the notion of "peacekeepers" from the get go. We placed ourselves in this mess, and only we can back out of it.

LOL, Somali's against peace force. Funny how a bunch of people hijack a religious demonstration and turn it into something political.

We need a to rebuild our security apparatus and we need all the help we can get.

Jumatatu   

Originally posted by Duke_Valantino:

We need a to rebuild our security apparatus and we need all the help we can get.

Security apparatus..my a$$..! You are just looking forward to Yeey leading you back to the promised land with the help of AU troops..that will be the day.

I told you smith and I still stand by it, this is a step that will determine whether C/llahi Yusuf will succed in the total domination or will backfire on him and will lead to the annihilation of his dreams.

And anyone who knows Yeey knows he does not chicken out from adversaries. So lets roll the dice and the games begin...back to square one in 1990...you do remember that dont you Smith..? ;)

Security apparatus..my a$$..! You are just looking forward to Yeey leading you back to the promised land with the help of AU troops..that will be the day.

Juma, get a hoild of yourself son, you have become quite irational of late. :D

Juha you are loosing the plot mate.Chill

Juma, get a hoild of yourself son, toy have become quite irational of late.
:D

Quite the fool is more like it. Juma, my little cousin is throwing his anniversary party next weekend. They are in dire need of a clown with jokes that even babies understand. You are the right man for the job, regarding your portfolio in SOL.

:D

Jumatatu   

Juma, get a hoild of yourself son, you have become quite irational of late.

ORGILAQE :

Juha you are loosing the plot mate.Chill

Nationalist :

Quite the fool is more like it.

Bari_Nomad :

Sore Loser Syndrome at its worse...

Nothing gives me more pleasure than to trigger such response from this gang. As it has been proven from time to time 'the truth hurts'.

36_1_21.gif

I still don't understand why 25,000 people have to demonstrate. So, I'm gonna ask the same question: what can a group of Ugandan child soldiers do?

JUMA -

If you don't mind me asking - what's the 'truth' you speak of? And where's the 'Promised Land'?

India   

:confused:

Why do you (Bari, Smith, Orgi Nationalist and others), jump at the throat of any one who has an opposing believe!

Why do you personlise everything.

Your first comments towards a compelling opinion or question almost always starts with " You are this or you are that". Grow - up the lot of you.

Juma,

Old habits die hard, these lot are so belinded by thier support for in yay that they will even dare to call a spade a diamond. Hypocracy at all new heights here on sol.

How bloody sad!

now: lets just observe how much insults and accusations get hurled at me.

watch this space............

dusty.

My sister Dusty or India :D

Yes, I and the brothers you mentioned support the Somali government.

Yes we are concerned for Juma, who normally is a stand up guy.

No we will not insult you even though we dont agree with the selfish clan based ideology that you cover up as Somalilandnimo. For you are a Somali sister. :D

india

Juma,

Old habits die hard, these lot are so belinded by thier support for in yay that they will even dare to call a spade a diamond. Hypocracy at all new heights here on sol.

How bloody sad!

now: lets just observe how much insults and accusations get hurled at me.

My sister Dusty or India

Yes, I and the brothers you mentioned support the Somali government.

Yes we are concerned for Juma, who normally is a stand up guy.

No we will not insult you even though we dont agree with the selfish clan based ideology that you cover up as Somalilandnimo. For you are a Somali sister.

Duke, well done sxb the way you respected your sister.

"A" and "B" i don't see where "C" comes from. :D

Soomalia needs all the help it can get.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<,<<

HOOSHOON LAQABAN MACDAN QUBATO QAADOOW ADIGAA LEH.

QAADKAN QAADO QAANTANA HABIXIN QAADOW ADIGAA LEH

QOSAL BADAN IYO QAMUUNYO ISKUXIGTA QAADOOW ADIGAA LEH.