Sign in to follow this  
Gabbal

Six heads of states to witness Somali president swearing-in

Gabbal   

NAIROBI, Oct. 13 (Xinhuanet) -- Six heads of states and other leaders from the world have confirmed they will witness Thursday'sushering in of the newly elected president of Somalia in Kenyan capital Nairobi, Kenyan government spokesman announced here Wednesday.

Those expected will be presidents from Nigeria, Uganda, Rwanda,Burundi, Djibouti and Yemen, government spokesman Alfred Mutua told a media briefing in Nairobi.

Mutua said Tanzanian prime minister, South African vice president, Arab League secretary general and deputy chairperson ofthe Commission of African Union and United Nations representatives will also witness the swearing-in of Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed as Somalia's transitional president.

Addressing a news conference in Nairobi, Mutua said the east African nation has been at the forefront in chairing the Somalia reconciliation process which he said is a clear demonstration thatAfrica can solve its own problems and achieve peace.

"We encourage the Somali people to embrace peace and realize that they have the support of Kenya and our Inter-Governmental Authority on Development (IGAD) member states and as well as the IGAD Partners Forum and the whole of Africa," said Mutua.

Veteran Somali politician and former military officer, Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed, won Sunday's presidential election held in the Kenyan capital, and immediately vowed to re-establish stability in the Horn of Africa country, ravaged by factional warfare since 1991. Enditem

Source: Xinhuanet, Oct. 13, 2004

Gabbal   

Somali Leader to Be Sworn in Tomorrow

The Nation (Nairobi)

October 13, 2004

Posted to the web October 13, 2004

Mburu Mwangi

Nairobi

Somali president-elect Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed will be sworn in tomorrow at Nairobi's Kasarani Sports Centre.

East African Cooperation minister John Koech, who has been in charge of the peace process, yesterday said the event would be attended by more than five heads of State.

Mr Ahmed, who won the election on Sunday, is expected to name his new Cabinet after the swearing in. He clinched the seat after garnering 189 votes against 79 of his closest opponent, Dr Abdullahi Adow.

Speaking to the Nation after flying from Kampala where he met Ugandan President Yoweri Museveni, Mr Koech said the priority for Somalia was to have its government sitting in Mogadishu. President Museveni is the chairman of regional Inter-Governmental Authority on Development (Igad).

Among the leaders expected are Eriterian, Ethiopian, Djibouti, Sudanese, Ugandan and Kenyan heads of State, all members of Igad. President Olusegun Obasanjo of Nigeria is also expected.

"The first thing is to have the government operating from Somalia," Mr Koech added. The other priority was security in Somalia as the militia controlling different parts of the country have to be disarmed.

Mr Koech said plans to reconstruct the country were under way but could only be quickened if the transitional government was in place.

Kenya's ambassador to Somalia, Mr Mohammed Affey, who is based in Nairobi, said he would also move to the Horn of Africa country once the new government was in place.

"That is when I can present my credentials," he said.

Mr Affey said the elections provided a ray of hope for Somalis and East Africans in general.

While congratulating Mr Ahmed, President Kibaki said Somali leaders should put aside their differences which had led the country to be embroiled in "14 wasted years of senseless clan fighting".

"What is now important is to forget the past and rebuild the country," the President said.

He said Sunday's election of Mr Ahmed marked an important milestone in the history of Somalia.

"I followed what was happening very closely. l did not sleep until the historic elections were over and the Somali people had a new president," President Kibaki said, assuring the Somali people of his Government's assistance in efforts to rebuild the country.

Mr Ahmed has called for unity, saying he bore no grudge against his opponents in the election. He also asked them to reconcile and unite for the sake of their country.

"I will always seek their support and cooperation in rebuilding the country," he said.

Mr Koech said Igad members and the International Partners Forum, mostly made of European Union nations had played an important part in the peace process.

After the inauguration of the new president, President Museveni will on Friday chair an Igad summit meeting.

king_450   

Well Horn i don't know about you, but i am not down or happy about this swearing that is taking place outside of our soil,why not even cross the border and do the swearing inside "somalia". I am getting little bit suspecious now,this is not the right bath we need to be taking,who is advising these people?

BN   

capt.nai10510141312.kenya_somalia_new_pr

Somalis wave flags of their country as they watch the inauguration ceremony of their new President Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed, Thursday, Oct. 14, 2004 in the Kenyan capital Nairobi.

r2253318789.jpg

Somalis attend the swearing in ceremony for the newly elected Somali President Abdullahi Yusuf in Nairobi, Kenya October 14, 2004.

capt.nai10410141304.kenya_somalia_new_pr

A Somali woman with a Somali flag stuck into her veil watches the inauguration ceremony of the new Somali President Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed, Thursday, Oct. 14, 2004 in the Kenyan capital Nairobi

r3304595033.jpg

Somalis attend the swearing in ceremony for the newly elected Somali President Abdullahi Yusuf in Nairobi, Kenya, October 14, 2004.

capt.nai10210141310.kenya_somalia_new_pr

Newly elected Somali President Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed, right, is sworn in by the speaker of the new parliament, Shariif Hassan Sheikh Aden, Thursday, Oct. 14, 2004 in the Kenyan capital Nairobi.

r3260207744.jpg

Somali President Abdullahi Yusuf gestures during the swearing in ceremony October 14, 2004 in Kenya's capital Nairobi.

r2885147917.jpg

The new elected Somali President Abdullahi Yusuf stands behind Kenya's Foreign Minister Chirau Mwakwere ® during the swearing in ceremony, October 14, 2004

r1705436782.jpg

The new elected Somali President Abdullahi Yusuf ® talks with his election opponent Abdikasim Salat Hassan (L) during the swearing in ceremony October 14, 2004 in Kenya's capital Nairobi.

BN   

capt.sge.sbs85.141004172419.photo01.defa

Supporters of new Somali president Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed sing and celebrate after he was sworn in.(AFP/Simon Maina)

capt.sge.sbs85.141004172419.photo02.defa

The newly elected Somalian president, Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed ® is sworn in by Sharif Haman Aden (L), spokesman of the Somalian parliament in Nairobi.(AFP/Simon Maina)

r4024068625.jpg

Newly elected Somali President Abdullahi Yusuf ® sworn in during a ceremony October 14, 2004 in Kenya's capital Nairobi as Somali parliament speaker Shariif Hassan Sheikh Aden (L) reads.

capt.nai10110141144.kenya_somalia_new_pr

Newly elected Somali President Abdullahi Yusuf Ahmed leaves the stage after he was sworn in, Thursday, Oct. 14, 2004

nuune   

Abdullaahi yusuf has done it, his final speech to the head of states was one of emotional, his hands were shaking in delight, I was also shaking in farxad, I can't forget this moment, I spent hours watching this LIVE TV of ceremony all this morning.

my favourite speech was that of the deputy president of South Africa who called upon all somalis to support the newly elected president, he called those parties who haven't participated(somaliland).

my other favourite speech was Amr Mousa of arab leage, he spoke somali language, this is what he said: soon wanaagsan, ha noolaado shacabka soomliya

I also liked that norwegian envoy, she was superb, she also spoke some somali she said: galab wanaagsan, iska warrama

Ismail omer geele of jabuuti was also one of a great leader,

I like abdiqaasim's speech too, this man knows how to talk, I call him aftahan.

thanks to Brundi, Rwanda, Tanzania, Nigeria, Uganda, Sudan, Yemen, Eritrea, Ethiopea, Norway, Japan and China, and all that who were present at the ceremony, they were true friends and did a good job this morning.

Baashi   

May Allah give the wisdom and vision needed to preside this difficult time in our history. May Allah bring the peace we all longed in earnest for so long. May Allah make this one a success. May Allah show them (MP's) the eternal wisdom in our religion. Amiin.

I'm a cautious optimist and I think we will get some sort of government this time around. We have so many problems embedded in the constitution and Insha'Allah someday we will fix them. Any kind of government is better than the anarchy methinks.

Keep your head up and keep hope alive.

AYOUB   

Originally posted by Baashi:

May Allah give the wisdom and vision needed to preside this difficult time in our history. May Allah bring the peace we all longed in earnest for so long. May Allah make this one a success. May Allah show them (MP's) the eternal wisdom in our religion. Amiin.

Maybe even Saladboy would've succeeded if he had such support and Du'cas from you. :D

Som@li   

Nice pics.Ilahay sharaftii ay lahay somalida ha kuusoo cesho,Ilaahna waxaan uga baryayaa in somalida Ilahay qaxootinimada, bur burka, iyo bahdalnimada ka saaro..Amiin

BN   

Originally posted by nuune:

I like abdiqaasim's speech too, this man knows how to talk, I call him aftahan.

I must agree that Abdiqasim is a very good orator and not doubt it did not take much proding for him to indulge us... :D

In all seriousness, I must give him credit; he seems to have put Somalis and Somalia ahead of his political ambitions.