Sign in to follow this  
General Duke

Duke’s manifesto for Somalia a path to restoring the republic.

Som@li   

Great Idea,

I will add, to get there ,first merge Somaliland and Puntland together, Somaliland should stop dreaming and join their brothers there, with clear goals set, and clanish a side, Mogadisho and rest of South will easily under Somaliland-Puntland in one force. Move all agencies that has something to do with Somalia to inside the country, NO outside influence.

This can be achieved,bottom-up approach, But honesly I don't see the leaders who could deiliver this.

Let me try and further upgrade your suggestions:

-An Ulama Higher Council would nominate a Shariah Supreme Court for last appeals in routine litigations, but also approve and check both Executive and Legislative as the final authority on Shariah interpretation.

-Parliament should be thorougly vetted for any conflict of interest, monitored and capped to 100 members, which could be revocated by their constituency.Any serious crime, including Qat chewing, will render anyone uneligible.

No quota for women.

-Any serving cabinet member, higher civil servant, MP or officer should be of sound morality, as attested by a thorough criminal background check (including repeated minor offences).

-In general, degrees should not be required but an Islamic, litteracy/numeracy and general knowledge test should be required; specific technical expertise and experience requirments would be added when relevant.

Ministries:

Minister of Defense

Minister of Foreign Affairs

Minister of Education, Information & Da'wah

Minister of Health

Minister of Finance, Infrastructure & Industry

Minister of Environment, Agriculture & Rural affairs

Minister of Justice, Interior, Prevention of vice & Promotion of virtue

(the Japanese integrate Economy, Trade & Industry in one key ministry, which is more efficient and limits bureaucracy).

-Salaries of MPs or cabinets members must not exceed or even concurrence those of professional.

They are there to serve, not in the pursuit of a career; however, their indemnities should be adequate and reflect those of intermediate professions such as teaching (eg, US$ 300 maximum for MPs, significantly less than a practising doctor in any case).

Any benefit such as state-provided housing will be deduced from the indemnities at the market rate.

Our children should aspire towards the noblest occupations and politics must absolutely be decoupled from glamour;

No more perverse incentives, that is the crux of the matter and what matters here.

-No issue beyond Shariah implementation should be set in stone, including the choice and status of the Capital (if all State organs are to be regrouped in one city).

-the Land belong to the Islamic State according to the Shariah which, solely, had the priviledge to grant a temporary lease; environmentally inpappropriate or unproductive use as well as speculation are thus to be prevented and severely punished.

^^^ Good suggestions, though I disagree with various points with the brother above. The manifesto is notbtrying to create a Saudi Arabian theocratic system, women shall be incoporated into the system of government from the outset, half of your population should not be held in bondage. All other points including the higher Shariah court were valid. I also like how you addressed the main issue of pay & the wrong glamourisation of politcs.

Women protection is what it is all about in Shariah and putting some on show has hardly helped the growing number of our sisters struggling with or throwing away illegitimate children, let alone the public health nightmare associated with laxer norms.

I'm sure you are acquainted with all those suicide by immolation and destroyed homes; the key is thus prevention, prevention and again prevention!

In appropriate, Shariah compliant ways, Women will have a say and will even receive basic education as a top priority; no more Western cliche of mothers kept in "ignorance", as Islam recognise and optimise their vital role.

They are also the main beneficiaries of authentic Equality (but also progressive Environmental protection and Health systems etc)...

Originally posted by Dabshid:

I will add, to get there ,first merge Somaliland and Puntland together, Somaliland should stop dreaming and join their brothers there, with clear goals set, and clanish a side, Mogadisho and rest of South will easily under Somaliland-Puntland in one force. Move all agencies that has something to do with Somalia to inside the country, NO outside influence.

This can be achieved,bottom-up approach, But honesly I don't see the leaders who could deiliver this.

Superb idea. Now it's up to the sool people to unite Marfashland and Puntland. After-all, it is they, who've got a foot in both administrations!

Ibtisam   

Originally posted by Abu-Salman:

Women protection is what it is all about in Shariah and putting some on show has hardly helped the growing number of our sisters struggling with or throwing away illegitimate children, let alone the public health nightmare associated with laxer norms.

I'm sure you are acquainted with all those suicide by immolation and destroyed homes; the key is thus prevention, prevention and again prevention!

In appropriate, Shariah compliant ways, Women will have a say and will even receive basic education as a top priority; no more Western cliche of mothers kept in "ignorance", as Islam recognise and optimise their vital role.

They are also the main beneficiaries of authentic Equality (but also progressive Environmental protection and Health systems etc)...

SalamAlikum,

There is no link between illegitimate babies and participation of women in some aspects of society. Nor does their involvement necessarily mean the disintegration of society morality or the rise or promiscuity. I don’t like the fact that you have painted women as the root cause of all evil and everything that can possible go wrong is attributed to them. For one thing Somali history is against you, for Somali women in general have not played a pivotal role in destroying it. For another, Somali women, culture and customs does not promote such lifestyle. Even without government and control, these issues and life style have remained minimal, why then would you think they will increase or be a subject or worry if Islamic government was introduced.

It is not a matter of having a say per say, but having a direct role in issues that concern them and the development of systems that are impacting on them. Before you think I am advocate for western style women role in government or challenge for leadership, I am not, I am aware of the limitations that Islam places on their role, however the Islamic limitations are much wider and inclusive then the relegated role of receiving “basic education” and hiding to avoid being a burden on the health system and throwing away babies.

It seems that rather than educating people and make them understand and accept Islam and the rule of Islam as the natural way forward, often people want to impose and dictate to them Islamic way of living, which simply won’t work and makes people resent that which has not been explained/ educated on.

On a general note, this seem like a wish list or if I could wave a magic stick, rather than working with the realities in Somalia. For example, the probability of finding in Somalia: a none-clanist, none criminal, over the legal age, pro Islam, none qaad eating or other habits is much less than the number of men needed to run a country.

Instead of subjugating the women and trying to get a bunch of males to run a country without their input, you might be better off doubling up some of your ministers (education, trade, health and research at least) so that you have almost two co-societies running together cohesively, but each department tending to the needs and specifications. That way you can utilise the full potential of your population.

Castro   

Somalia's future indeed lies with Puntland. If only Duke would get over that picture of Yey and Hu Jintao.

Originally posted by Abu-Salman:

For how long have you suffered this brain damage, son?

Ibtisam   

Oodweyne and Castro I am going to send you guys to "how to give dacwa and be nice to people you disagree with" lessons at my local mosque available via the net. :D You are both mean! redface.gif

The thing is I have a problem is his argument and the flaws it contains, but I also don't like your alter liberal hala is dhex yaaco method. Don't think I have not noticed the few women in SL who sit with 300 guys trying blindly to shout louder than them. That is not the way forward either.

I am going to cross the road and stand in the middle, but let see if you guys can find a common ground with regards to Women's role. Between Abu Salman who limits them but allows basic education, to Castro who thinks they should run wild and be allowed to have four husbands as well :D

UZTAAD   

indeed women is the backbone of our society they should be fully empowered not be caged in the house as some suggested, . I think Women president would have done better than sharif Hotel. there are many muslim countries which had/have women president like Pakistan, Indonesia, Bengaladesh & india and they are doing fine.

Ibtisam   

^^^Just because other Muslim countries do it does not mean we should follow, nor does it suddenly make it okay in Islam. Women President is not allowed in Islam, but there are other roles they can play.