Sign in to follow this  
Separatist

Somalis arrested for financing terror organisations in Somalia.

Six Somali Terror Suspects Arrested in Scandinavian Internet Cafe Raid

For Norsk-talende.

Seems uncle Sam got the scandavians rallying behind Ethiopia at last.

Six Somalis were caught unawares in a simultaneous police razzia in Oslo and Stockholm today. The somalis, who run one of the Somali-owned Xawalads were arrested for allegedly financing a "terrorist organization"(called Shaabab) in Somalia. The police also confisticated documents and computers from their offices. This came as a shock to the Somali community in Norway who denied the existence of such links.

Fabregas   

It's funny how I.C.U members openly came to raise money and Somali conferences openly talked about resistance. I suppose there was less of an outcry as it was against African(Ethiopians) as opposed to any Western forces. Perhaps this case will set a new precedent.

Paragon   

^^G, in the UK the UIC enjoy a great deal of support and members who represent or support the UIC actually appear on the national TVs sometimes to argue their case. Conferences organized by the UIC are openly held in main conference and university halls. I don't think the UIC has any image problem so far. But unfortunately, it seems al-Shabaab is starting to get bad publicity mostly because of Cayrow's constant reference to Osama Bin Ladin. I have even encountered few protestations amongst Somali crowds who previously supported al-Shabaab during the Baidoa stand-off. And these folks ask themselves why Cayrow finds it necessary to begin all his broadcasts by sending greetings to Osama? What benefit does that accrue al-Shabaab movement except further isolate it? I guess they have a point there.

Shar ma'arke ,

The Swedes seem somewhat lost between a definitional categorization of what really entails the act of financing 'terror organizations', and what is genuinely a resistance movement. I believe they should cut short this blind tendency of being swept along by the collectivized wave of Uncle Sam's phony 'war on terror'.

On raiding Somali-owned money transfer firms, perhaps the Swedes should come to the UK with their clip-boards and learn few truths about what sort of work xawaalahs do in essence. It seems the Swedes are ill-informed in this operation and are repeating the same mistake, which resulted int the US' unfair black-listing of what was Al-Baraak money transfer, unleashing untold miseries for many Somali families who are solely dependent on money transfer firms for daily bread.

PS: As concerns Al-Shabaab, I think of that old adage of 'one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter'. Although there are some aspects of al-Shabaab's operations I oppose, yet, these men are a breed of Somalia's current freedom fighters. A fact that cannot, to a greater extent, be dismissed from the books of Somalia's realpolitik. Would have been nice if they minimize undertaking activities that make them seem threatening to the very public they are so nobly defending. A bit of PR and slight policy shifts would do wonders for them.

^^Names?

True, Isseh. That old adage applies here. Even the norwegian pundits couldn't agree on that. Many Somalis see them as freedom fighters.

PS; Media reports say that two of the three suspects arrested in Oslo will be released tomorrow. The remaining one will face charges of financing terrorists in Somalia. If found guilty, he risks a maximum imprisonment of 10 years.

^^In what way did they show they're friends of Somalia? Yep, maybe by arresting poor somalis that send few bucks to their families back home and accuse them of financing terrorists.

And who are you hoping for their arrest?

Peacenow   

These *******s are ruining the name of us even more. They have become nothing more than the lowest of the lowest. It's like a trap, I cannot escape from this awful nationality I belong too. It's there in my passport. They can see my city of birth.

They ask, where are you from?

Erm.....

Well

Where were you born?

In a whisper -somalia- erm.....

Only way is I change my name and leave this forsaken people once and for all.

Originally posted by J.a.c.a.y.l.b.a.r.o:

Anyone has the names of those arrested ??? ,,, did they publish their names ??

They didn't. But they run Xawaalada la yirahdo Shabeele, if that rings a bell.

Hundreds of Somalis(including Landers smile.gif ) have uniformly showed their support today by storming the local court, and declaring they're all terrorists if fighting the Ethiopian occupation is deemed terrorism by the Norwegian gov't. A brave move, indeed.

PS; Two of the suspects are already released due to lack of crude evidence(but with pending interrogations). The remaining one was jailed for four weeks awaiting further court appearances.

Latest; Police say they tapped the phone of the one in custody and could reveal that he had a direct contact with Al-Shabaab leaders. Transfering around 40.000 USD to Al-Shabaab accounts in Somalia.

But the main challenge for the police is to prove that Al-Shabaab is a terrorist group and not a resistance movement, a popular belief many somalis hold.