Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

Name-calling exchange between Jirde vs. M. Hashi: an eye-opener!

Sky   

cabdulqaadir jirde is right. there is no way somaliland's army can enclose the 500km border between the h.arti clans that were split by european colonialists almost an entire century ago. i dont know about the somalilanders, but we puntlanders dont see the colonial period as the good old days. as in matter of fact, whats worse than being occupied by infidels. truly the darkest chapter of our contemporary history. somaliland couldnt even fight against a small, marginal clan south of hargeisa with a border of roughly 70km who humiliated somaliland with their militias occupying hargeisa airport for a long period of time, please tell me how on earth somaliland will keep a largely anti-somaliland population of around 1.000.000 with a strong warrior culture in check, bases itself a stonethrow away from cities like boosaaso, qardho and garowe and defend the border from "mijerteniya"/soomaaliweeyn troops all at once?

also he nailed it when he said that its not wise, though unsubtly, that hargeisawis beat the war drums against a people they dont know a thing of and where they themselves will not feel the brunt of the war. in other words, the more the hargeisawi shut up and let the neighbours of the h.arti do the talking, the more chance of genuine talks in somaliland's favour.

NGONGE= they never did take part of any elections, because there never were any voting going around in these regions except for west sanaag and aynabo district in sool. and the next elections in somaliland will also be held without reaching these regions. who can blame these people then for not feeling a flying thing for somaliland?

NGONGE   

^^^ How then did you and he make your estimates?

Using the population estimate for the presidential election, Mr. Jirde said the H a r t i populations in the former British Somaliland are about 800,000 (20% of Somaliland pop.). Of that, only (“Fu’aad Aadan Cadde iyo Siddeetan reerkiisa ahâ€) eighty soldiers of Fu’ad’s sub-clan, are loyal for our cause (secession). That roughly translates 0.01% of the H a r t i population. Moreover, convincing Somaliland clan militia to stay at the front has proved to be a tall order. They (the militia) just wouldn’t stay at the front, Mr. Jirde said.

You’re right; A 500 km border is an impossibly large zone to guard. :D

AYOUB   

***** , yaa la hadli kara?, ***** waxa la hadli kara ninkaas ay wada daaqaan ee ay ceelka ka wada cabaan ee ay Ab iyo Isir is dhaleen.

Baashi this brings back the question you refused to answer the other night, what is your view on ***** -based Puntland on other clans who live there?

Originally posted by Gediid:

First off lemme correct Baashi,Hashi never used bas-tard in his speech.He used the word baaniyal a word demeaning in nature in Somaliland but not meaning a bas-tard as Baashi interpreted(I've always thought baashi as a master of Somalis and their use of the Somali language but I guess I was wrong).

Looks like me old mate is getting unstuck by the day :D . He always tries to spice thing with "what the author is saying is.." and "what the poet means is.." but looks like the SOL masses can see through whatever he weaves.

240210jirde.jpgmohamhashipic.jpg200_sulaybaan_Gaal.jpg

Cowboys and Indians. :D

Jamster   

"Using the population estimate for the presidential election, Mr. Jirde said the H a r t i populations in the former British Somaliland are about 800,000 (20% of Somaliland pop.). Of that, only (“Fu’aad Aadan Cadde iyo Siddeetan reerkiisa ahâ€) eighty soldiers of Fu’ad’s sub-clan, are loyal for our cause (secession). That roughly translates 0.01% of the H a r t i population. Moreover, convincing Somaliland clan militia to stay at the front has proved to be a tall order. They (the militia) just wouldn’t stay at the front, Mr. Jirde said. "

The above census was taken in a Qat fueled afternoon in a dingy little room in Hargeisa soomaha?

Af kasta ileen wuu hadli haduuna xishoon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Farah, I think the 800,000 number is a bid off. The population in SS&Hawd is close to 1.2 million if not more. The land is massive. A friend who just came back from LA said he counted how many houses they have in Laascaanood one by one. It was slightly more than 100 thousand houses. Now, if you assume the worst and say 3 people live in every house (average), you have 300,000 people in LA. If 300,000 live in LA, is it accurate to say 500,0000 covers everything else including Sanaag and Hawd? The answer is no.

Bashi – good summary of the encounters ‘ween the two gentlemen. The trouble here is that neither of the men in question knows what they are on about? Jirde is as much in the dark of the facts as Hashi is. Both are of Hargeisa and its environs … with Hashi being of Daruuraha on the northern side of the bridge “Dooxa Hargeisaâ€, and Jirde of the southern trap in Dumbuluq. How then is either a buff on the subject matter? I could see Silanyo or even Saleban Gal on the roar, but neither men has the faintest idea as to the ins and outs of the regions concerned.

If we go by the rough estimation offered by Jirde, and the people of the SS&C regions are no more than 800th, then I bet you residents of the strip ‘ween Hargeisa and Buroa are no more than 800th. More importantly, I think the 800th Jirde is referring to in his discharge is of adults in the regions concerned excluding women, children and the elderly.

Gediid - Why the “harawsi†‘ere mate. Baaniyal has both negative and not so negative connotations in Hargeisa – no idea about its meanings in other regions. As kids, anyone we suspected of dubious ancestry, we used brand “baadariâ€, or something along those lines, insinuating “garacâ€, hence the term “bast**** â€. You hardly used the “G†term, instead the “B†word was fashionable. Wealthy, stingy people were also labelled as “baaniyaals†for their wherewithal, and I thought that was only in Hargeisa where the remaining handful Indians from the colonial era were still residing.

NASSIR   

The size of people won't make a whit of difference. What counts is the massive territories and major towns in Eastern part of North Somalia.

Sanaag (The Third largest region of Somalia) and over 37.9% of Somaliland map has five districs, four of which belong to the ********

Almost Sool, and District of Buhoodle and Beyond.

If they were not blinded by bigotry, they won't have come with this laughable Pop. estimate.

one more thing, who said the major cities like Hargeisa and Berbera are exclusive settlement for ****** Easterners reside in great number in all of these cities. Who can deny that? :D

[ February 04, 2005, 09:53 PM: Message edited by: Libaax-Sankataabte ]

Originally posted by NGONGE:

Did the people of the disputed territories take part in the presidential election? :confused:

Yeah. They voted for Adde Muuse. Here's the breakdown of the "disputed" land's Parliamentary votes:

Sanaag: 8/11 went to Adde Muuse

Sool: 10/14 went to Adde Muuse

Originally posted by Farah:

The above census was taken in a Qat fueled afternoon in a dingy little room in Hargeisa

Was that really necessary? I don't think its wise to insult such a national symbol ;)

Originally posted by Libaax-Sankataabte:

...how many houses they have in Laascaanood one by one. It was slightly more than 100 thousand houses. Now, if you assume the worst and say 3 people live in every house (average), you have 300,000 people in LA.

LA, LA - big city of dreams! :D

AYOUB   

CAAMIR :

Sanaag (The Third largest region of Somalia) and over 37.9% of Somaliland map has five districs, four of which belong to the H.A.R.T.I

Care to name which four?

The population statistic are credible and

correspond well with the only census done in Somalia the 1975 census.

and when will people learn that the size of the land has little to do with population.

Its like looking at the vast empty lands in the Sahara and saying look how big it must contain millions.

Lascanood is big and has grown from the official

20,000 in 1991 to approximatley 120,000 today,

but it is not 300,000, 300,000 probably

is closer to the actual size of the population of sool itself.

Ofcourse there is a millitary solution to the border issue, but definatley not the way its been handled, and not with the severe internal disputes, and not with a goverment who's loyalty

to the cause is in question.

Baashi   

Originally posted by Gediid:

First off lemme correct Baashi,Hashi never used bas-tard in his speech.He used the word baaniyal a word demeaning in nature in Somaliland but not meaning a bas-tard as Baashi interpreted(I've always thought baashi as a master of Somalis and their use of the Somali language but I guess I was wrong).

I stand corrected Gediid. My understanding is if one questions your identity, one is implying something along the lines of what i said there. Nevertheless, I edited the post to reflect the meaning of "Baaniyaal" to its original meaning: stingy Indian merchant. Mr. Jirde clearly interpreted the word as I interpreted.

Originally posted by NGONGE:

Did the people of the disputed territories take part in the presidential election? :confused:

No they didn't saaxiib. But as expected Hargiesa's reporting at the time seemed as if the campaign as well as the elections were in full swing inside SS&H areas.

On the pop. stats, I would be lying if I say I know but one thing I know is not to trust Mr. Jirde and co. with anything that has to do with SS&H regions. Hargiesa is simply biased toward Las-Caano and its people. If anything if they say 800,000 add 35% top of that to make up the biased estimate taken from thin air :D

For Diaspora folks: the lesson of this dispute (revelation) is things are not as they seem to be. On the ground the picture is real and markedly different than the propoganda orchestrated by secessionists.

Suldaanka,

"Cakaaro" might be a "maqaaxi" in Hargeysa but it is also or used to be a tree where Inna Abdulla Hassan used to address his deputies. The saying "war jiraa Cakaaro iman" meant if the rumors are true we'll find that out when Inna Abdulla comes out and address his subjects. That's the origin of the phrase.

Gediid   

Population wise I know for a fact Burco city is the largest city in the East and its estimated at around 250,000 ppl.I doubt if any city even comes close to half that population....I guess many people might be including the camels,donkeys and wild animals in and around LA to even come close to that figure.Like one poster mentioned the Sahara desert is one huge landmass but empty of people.

Wind Talker

Laga barey laga baddi ma maqashey.Your news I suppose is yesterdays like all your other stuff.Ka maanta is a bit different ;)

The word baaniyal is used in Hargeisa to define a stingy daneeyste.

NASSIR   

Originally posted by AYOUB_SHEIKH:

quote:CAAMIR :

Sanaag (The Third largest region of Somalia) and over 37.9% of Somaliland map has five districs, four of which belong to the H.A.R.T.I

Care to name which four?
Aight: check the bold ones and count.

Districts of Somalia

According to a document purporting to describe the Somalia National Peace Conference, these were the districts of Somalia as of 1990-12-31:

District HASC

Abdi Asis SO.BN.AA

Adan Yabal SO.SD.AY

Afmadow SO.JH.AF

Alula SO.BR.AL

Badhadhe SO.JH.BA

Badhan SO.SA.BA

Baki SO.AW.BA

Ballcad SO.SD.BA

Bardhere SO.GE.BA

Baydhaba SO.BY.BA

Beletweyne SO.HI.BW

Beletxawa SO.GE.BE

Bender Bayla SO.BR.BB

Berbera SO.WO.BE

Bondhere SO.BN.BO

Boramo SO.AW.BO

Bosaso SO.BR.BO

Braawe SO.SH.BR

Buale SO.JD.BU

Bulo-Burte SO.HI.BB

Burco SO.TO.BR

Burhakaba SO.BY.BU

Burtinle SO.NU.BU

Buuhodle SO.TO.BH

Caadale SO.SD.CA

Cabudwaaq SO.GA.CB

Cadaado SO.GA.CD

Caynabo SO.SO.CA

Ceelafyeyn SO.SA.CL

Ceel Barde SO.BK.CB

Ceelbur SO.GA.CE

Ceeldeer SO.GA.CR

Ceelwaaq SO.GE.CE

Ceerigabo SO.SA.CR

Dangoryo SO.NU.DA

Darkeynle SO.BN.DA

Dhahar SO.SA.DH

Dhusa-Mareb SO.GA.DM

Dinsor SO.BY.DI

Dolow SO.GE.DO

Eyl SO.NU.EY

Galhareeri SO.GA.GA

Galkacyo SO.MU.GA

Garbaharey SO.GE.GA

Garowe SO.NU.GA

Gebiley SO.WO.GE

Goldogob SO.MU.GO

Hamar Weyne SO.BN.HA

Haradhere SO.MU.HA

Hara Jabjab SO.BN.HJ

Hargeysa SO.WO.HA

Hawle Wadaag SO.BN.HW

Heliwa SO.BN.HE

Hobyo SO.MU.HO

Hodan SO.BN.HO

Hudur SO.BK.HU

Iskhushuban SO.BR.IS

Jalalaqsi SO.HI.JQ

Jamame SO.JH.JA

Jeriban SO.MU.JE

Jilib SO.JD.JI

Jowhar SO.SD.JO

Karaan SO.BN.KA

Kismayo SO.JH.KI

Kurtunwaarey SO.SH.KU

Lascaanood SO.SO.LA

Las Qorey SO.SA.LQ

Lughaya SO.AW.LU

Luuq SO.GE.LU

Mark Afgooye SO.SH.MA

Odwenyen SO.TO.OD

Qandala SO.BR.QA

Qansadhere SO.BY.QA

Qardho SO.BR.QR

Qoryoyley SO.SH.QO

Sablaale SO.SH.SA

Sakow SO.JD.SA

Shangani SO.BN.SH

Sheik SO.TO.SH

Shibis Waberi SO.BN.SW

Telex SO.SO.TE

Tiyeglow SO.BK.TI

Wadajir SO.BN.WA

Wajid SO.BK.WA

Wanlaweyne SO.SH.WA

Wardhiglye SO.BN.WD

Xudun SO.SO.XU

Yaqship SO.BN.YA

Yeed SO.BK.YE

Zeylac SO.AW.ZE

HASC: Hierarchical administrative

subdivision codes. The middle

two letters identify the region.

For key, see "Administrative Subdivisions

of Countries".

Copyright © 2001, 2003 by Gwillim Law. All rights reserved.

SOURCE: