Sign in to follow this  
NASSIR

SOMALIA: Failure in curbing the advances of the Somaliland secessionists

Haatu   

The only way we will be able to counter the secessionist is by Xamar being pacified and a strong unitary government being established there. Anything short of that won't work. If we look at alternatives, say democratizing Puntland, how will that change perceptions that are already corrupted (they sometimes state Puntland to be a secessionist enclave as well)? Why should Somaliland be discredited just because Puntland is democratic? Surely if the South is still burning, democratizing Puntland will not change anything. But if we establish a strong unitary government in Muqdisho, not only will we counter the secessionist ideology, we will counter the threat of "rogue states" which may be used by foreigners to destabilize the republic. This will show the West and all other geopolitical powers that Somalia as an entity is still functional, therefore discarding the opion that it needs to be dismembered to restore stability to the region. A strong unitary republic is the only way forward.

Xudeedi   

Che,

Adeer the Makhiri regions are bigger per square feet than the state of Israel and many more countries that thrive on this globe, thus your silly claims can be dismissed. Prior to existence of the Somali Identity, Makhir State had a functioning administration and viable economic means that sustained the Sultanate. The accomplishment’s of the said civilization was witnessed by many foreigners and the 200 year old 5 story towers in Laasqoray pay testimony.

After a century, the said community is much more educated, wealthier and make up a great majority of the Somali’s in the diaspora. Accordingly, they are entitled to their god given sovereignty and have the right to set up an administration that would safeguard Makhiri interest.

At last, your notion that Hargaisa and the “Triangle” can produce sustainable economic viability is as lunatic as our uncle “Shanqoole” :D . The entire republic is made up of villages in comparison to the gleaming skyscrapers of modern day. Thus whats important is that Makhir State is 1/6 of the Republic.

Xudeedi   

05ma201.jpg

I don't see any tangible difference between what you termed as villages to "uban centers" in the triangle.

^LooooooooooooooL...calm down sxb, we are on the team-I'm merely suggesting an alternative route to impede secession and ensure Somalia is not partitioned.And I think we could agree whatever administration or security there's in Maakhir needs face-lift.

Oodweyne...New realities can always be constructed.

Eastern sanaag is not a small terrority but because of its low population it cant produce sustainable economy , eastern maakhir is occupied by he pirates. They cant raise their voice politically or economically in the region. you will never find investement agencys in the so called eastern maakhir.

Maakhir never came to existence to begin with, it was a nice idea , but it was swallowed by rat teeth, in order for him to become a Bugland minister. so che there is no other alternative for the maakhir boys, they can never be politically significant in eastern maakhir , let alone in the bigger republic of somaliland.

They can try to run away from us But they can never hide.

Eastern maakhir can not be a self administrated region. The whole reason why the maakhir project was shut down, was because it could not stand on its own two feet.And ofcourse rat teeth had the ambition to become the president of the pirate state how ever his desire for personal achievement let the maakhir state disappear from the map.

Selfish i say and yes somalia is dirt and it failed miserably. But there are regions with in Somalia doing well such as puntland and galmudug eventhough their achievement is also limited.

But what ever the case may be they dont thave the ability or the power to influance somaliland politics . Even if they are self administrated , which is not the case at the moment.

Xudeedi   

Our good old Xaaji is as confused and bitter as always. Adeer if you look at the accurate latitudes and longtitude of Baraagaha-Qol and Burao are relatively the same distance to Erigaabo. Bosaso and Berbara are relatively the same distance to Ceerigaabo. In essence Makhir state is a combination of majority Sanaag region and western portion of Bari region. Thus per distance say, Makhiri inhabited territories are relatively the same size as your triangle (Burco, Berbera and Hargaisa).

As far as population density, farming regions and land with friendly environmental make-up to herd indicate a larger population due to necessary resources in place. The makhiri country is huge thus its fair to say that it’s not populated per square feet. The country now has emerging centers like Badhan, Dhahar, Xingalool, Ceelbuh, Hadaaftimo and Galgala whom are being settled in large numbers due to draughts that have urbanized local nomads.

Makhir State; it’s people have always been independent, even when the republic existed, it has been absent from Makhir State.

Xaaji...I'm not if there's social-economic development that Hargeysa could offer that they couldn't achieve by Sanaag on its own.The place lacks proper administration and regular security. It's already economically integrated into rest of Puntland.

Saalax   

The problem facing sanaag as a whole is there is no single proper roads in the entire region, and imagine how big sanaag is? the new somaliland government needs to get it's priorities right when it's things concerning eastern somaliland and that is constructing proper roads in sanaag especially the road that goes from burco -garadag-ceelfaweyn-yufleh-erigavo, the former siad bare government totally neglected sanaag for whatever odd reason.

NASSIR   

Originally posted by Che -Guevara:

Any counter message must be followed by tangible action. Maakhir to me and I say this with great degree respect to you is just bunch of frontier towns and villages that lack proper administration and security.It is vast and seemingly empty land (compared to urban centers of Hargeysa, Burca, and Boroma) with no real economic viability and security guarantee. A proper administration and uniformed regular security forces are needed to dispel this image. Democratization process however imperfect must be initiated in Puntland. This is palatable alternative and good counter bunch to the secessionist movement.All this must be complemented by move away from "SSC/Maakhir vs. Somaliland, Puntland vs. Somaliland or "Traingle" (read qabiil) vs. Cowke infamous Block to move towards to legitimate opposition to secessionists in Hargeysa within former British Protectorate (legally dead entity that can not be resuscitated) .Any such opposition's message must echo that of the larger Somali population so that this is not just one reer Hebel against the other.

Unionists must also identify elements within Somaliland population that oppose secession but are simply afraid or outnumbered to express their views openly.

Anyhow to sum it up,the secessionists are learning their BTJX but we are still swinging from tree branch to another.

P.S. Rageh is reporter and is always looking for the next great story.Somaliland presents the next opportunity for great story, rather him than some Western report I say. And it should be noted he always present the fact Somaliland is secessionist enclave, that Somalia is his country, and that his family lives in self-declared state.

:D

I was in a rush the last time I was here. I didn't actually read this part of your response. I saw it this afternoon.

Che, first no entity in Somalia has proper administration and well-established security organs, and I completely disagree with your comparative analysis of Maakhir Territory and "Somaliland" as regards to the economic viability and population make-up of both regions. Your reckless use of bunch of empty but vast "frontier towns and villages" is an outright insult to the spirit and aspirations of the people of Maakhir; it is also reflects your ignorance of the people, history, and their defined territory as well as its relative progress.

Contrary to your assertion, the Maakhir Territory (Erigavo-Bosaso-Nogal area) is a highly densely populated area, according to UN agencies that conducted a number of surveys and preliminary studies in conjunction with the needs and development of the region. There are well-run district (counties) and municipal governments with their own budgets (nearly $12M) a year) and regional government Council. Poor road networks and other infrastructure are a general problem for Somalia (including SL) and no region is immune to the poverty and misery that had characterized Somalia for nearly two decades. And we all know the North (west and east) fare better in relative economic terms even though the news of human smuggling and forced migration induced by the poverty at home is with us every day.

The people of Maakhir is one of the primary lineages of the six Somali clan families, and they are not geographically limited to the artificial frontier you alluded to here, which was a direct consequence of western conquest and colonization when the formation of artificial borders ignored the pre-existing base of legitimacy (land) and identity (nation), that is why a further division of Somalia will further cause or lead to a more and complex divisions.

A forced top-down approach or political solution has created more problems than it solved for Somalia and it is an idea that “Somaliland" currently wishes to exploit to her own advantage under the false pretext of a western-styled democracy and a modicum of self-rule. But the truth is that Riyale belongs to a minority clan in the region and he was up against a formidable foe, the former leader of the SNM whose clan dominates the Triangle area. And because of Riyale's dismal records during his tenure and as a former chief of NSS, his opponents had never missed a chance to remind the masses that Mr. Riyale belonged to the said dreadful outfit that once rounded and killed innocent people in Berbera--a fact reported by the human rights activist Rakiya, the sister of Rageh Omar. The secessionist clan actually developed this unfair sentiment about Riyale based on his background, and it actually crystallized into a firm conviction that it was time to remove him by force. He was called “Faqassh” and other degrading terms and people took it to the streets, a peaceful protest that resulted in the death of dozens of civilians. Prior to that, innocent civilians from the former president’s clan were targeted and killed in a typical style of the Rwandan genocide. That case has yet to be solved and many Awdalites think that justice would never be served. A pro-separatist writer, Dalmar Kahin, clearly stated this incident and its dangerous implication in his article , Somaliland Election’s Formidable Challenges: Terrorism, Tribalism, “And if the election is not delayed, terrorists could exploit the tragedy, the tribal feuds—in Gebiley and send voters’ limbs flying over rooftops.”

A mutually agreeable partition is the only acceptable path to acquiring separate statehood; it must be in the form of a plebiscite held in all over Somalia as sanctioned under the international law. That is one thing the secessionists see it as an obstacle to their forced seizure and demand for recognition.

NASSIR   

Any such opposition's message must echo that of the larger Somali population so that this is not just one reer Hebel against the other.

Well Somalis in general are opposed to secessionism and they will never endorse such unilateral move by one clan. But we must persistently counter (as we have done it for the last 18 years) the bogus claims of "Somaliland" on the regions of Sool and Sanaag. I remember telling you before how the UNISOM mission for Somalia had once recognized the USP political party headed by Awad Ahmed Asharo as the legitimate representative of the people of Sool and Sanaag.

And Puntland actually went through several peaceful transfer of power, so its shortcomings are well noted as its new leaders such as Ilka-jir and Farole promised to reform and implement changes.

The al-shabaab's phenomena basically has had a negative impact on the geopolitics and the thinking of important players.

NASSIR   

Che, let me raise these important questions. When you said a bunch of empty villages and towns, aren't you aware that Erigavo has been one of the biggest urban towns of Somalia for decades. LaasQoray as well once dominated the region despite its recent decline. It still has a number of mini industries, one of which employs over 1500 people and has a sales revenue of roughly $3M a year.

Badhan is an urban city that has grown very fast. It has four High Schools, three technical colleges, the biggest boarding school for the orphans, and 3 primary schools and a University project that is almost finished.

How can this city that houses all of these public facilities be an empty "frontier" town?

Third, Bosaaso, as you my well know, is part of where the Makhiris call home. They form nearly 1/3 of the business population. As you can see, the people of Puntland are one sub-clan family unlike the people of Hargeisa and Borame. And they are interconnected in many aspects of their life.

Therefore, we won't allow a scenerio whereby one clan relatively weaker than the clans of Puntland get an unfair press coverage and free access to our own land. You should have known better and understand the foreign enemies of Somalia are active and lobby for the dismemberment of Somalia.

NASSIR   

As for Oodweyne, it's late for me and I am now tired. I'll see to your objections some time tomorrow. Goodnight!