Sign in to follow this  
IL CAPO

21st OF OCTOBER and EID.

IL CAPO   

This topic isn't political but feel good sort of topic where we exchange our childhood memories and how we used to Celebrate 21st of October the same way we did Eid because to us (Kids) they both meant there were no school and no Madrassa and we loved them both the same way.

--------------------------------------------------

Today is the day when every Somali kid used to look forward to and if I am not mistaken I believe in every Somali Child's life there were only two major events which could put a broad smile on their faces where they didn't have to worry about school and Madrassa and those two days were, 21st of October and the day of Eid.

Let's us all relive those sweet and childhood memories and for once enjoy the ride for I am taking you back in time when you were only a child living in Somalia and feeling pumped up and itching with anticipation of the events that lay ahead of the coming day.

I mean do you remember the entire buzz these two events generated? How every Somali family looked forward to these two days from the last born of the family all the way up to the great grandmother, some of us might even have sweet stories to tell about these two days so brothers and sisters let's hear it.

I know some of us even went to bed wearing their new Eid clothes because the day wouldn't arrive quickly enough where we could show off our new clothes and toys that our parents bought for us and deep down inside we all miss those days when we were sweet flowers and innocent little kids.

Peace.

Baashi   

Il Capo,

Eid and Oct. 21 were not the same on the minds of almost all Somali kids. True they were three major holdays. We used to anticipate the "aftax" time in these days.

But that's where the similarities end. One was sort of holy the other was the symbol of the tyrannical power of the military junta. One was voluntary, Islamic, and anticipated by everyone, the other was a directive forced by the junta.

As to the kids, I remember getting new stuff and "xaqal Mubaarak" from my parents, relatives, and neighbors in the two Eids every year. It was like Haloween with no "trick ot treat" part for us. We used to dress up and go around to our relatives' houses. Oct 21 was different. The only thing we were interested was the marching, festivities, fireworks, and light decorations.

Xoogsade   

I have no memory of Dugsi being Aftax. May be it used to be but I don't remember. I know schools and work were off. The best thing about it where waiting in anticipation the MIGs fly over Xaafaddeenna and then trace their formations in the Sky. Wanted to be a Duuliye someday. Who knew I would end up in America and look back at Somalia in the Map to wonder how many miles do I have to cross in journeying back again smile.gif

Sakina   

From what I heard people hated the 21 of October because children were forced to march in the scorching heat and people were forced to come out of their homes and out in the streets and cheer for these festivities otherwise they might pay or even face jail. It seems people were off from work so they could march. I was told that only the elite were exempted from marching or cheering. While the two eids people were genuinly happy and no one ever came to force them to come out and cheer outside. Children used to get eid clothes only on these two days and never on the 21 of October. At least that is what I was told.

Salaan...

This reminds an occasion in late 1994 in Nairobi. The old folks were listening BBC and it reported geeridii Max'ed Siyaad Barre. After BBC, the ensuing discussion was, of course, about Siyaad and his kacaan. So one of the listeners, my uncle perhaps, said and I quote: "Soomaali, Max'ed Siyaad Barre iyo kacaankiis waa u darsan doonaan, maalintee ahaataba."

I looked at him like duqa ma lagu soo dagay. Now, ten years later, I did finally understood his prophetic words: We did miss Oktoobar! He kept to ground firmly those animals we call warlords.

Anyway, kids used to look forward and did enjoy Oktoobar 21, since most didn't know or care a thing or two about politics. We just loved the school-days off, since we had 11 months in school year.

Ooh, ardeydii Ubaxa Kacaanka, ardeydii Xalane, meerijaanka, hooyooyinka, kuwii dabka afka ka keenaaye, ciidamada Daraawiishta, kumaandooska, diyaaradihii miiga...bababa, wadan waa ahayn!

1013-400x500.jpg

Ardeydii Ubaxa Kacaanka

1009-400x500.jpg

Xalane

1012-400x500.jpg

Kacabso Kumaandooska

1015-400x500.jpg

IL CAPO   

Originally posted by Baashi:

But that's where the similarities end. One was sort of holy the other was the symbol of the tyrannical power of the military junta. One was voluntary, Islamic, and anticipated by everyone, the other was a directive forced by the junta.

Now do you honestly want to tell us that you knew about this when you were a kid? Come On unless you were from the Future and knew something that most of us never knew.

The moral of the story is all about reliving our childhood memories brother nothing to do with politics nor religion and as a kid all you care about is having fun and these two events were nothing but fun hence the excitement of everyone that replied to the topic because like I promised I took most of you back in time when you were all toddlers and used to run around wearing a brand new Eid clothes and used to say to everyone "Eid Mubarak" and hope you will get few Shillings for your "Greetings" and i believe it made us all feel good to think back and say "What a Wonderful Memory".

P.S Thank you all for the Memory and yes it was fun to see all the Migs and my favourite part of the whole of 21st October was seeing the Commandos. smile.gif

Peace.

Tahliil   

One was sort of holy the other was the symbol of the tyrannical power of the military junta. One was voluntary, Islamic, and anticipated by everyone, the other was a directive forced by the junta

Can't help Bashi...that is helerious..but I think it is either u most likely missed the essence of the story or I don't know maybe very few people had powers to c the differnces between the two Eids so clearly in their younger age..sounds like revelations of sorts revealed to certain kids..an access lol

Originally posted by Miskiin-Macruuf-Aqiyaar:

Salaan...

So one of the listeners, my uncle perhaps, said and I quote: "
Soomaali, Max'ed Siyaad Barre iyo kacaankiis waa u darsan doonaan, maalintee ahaataba
."

Ever make up your mind on your own or is it always some one told me! At this rate you're going to run out of people to tell you stuff!

tamam   

indeed xaqul ciid was the best FOR ME, i remember the days before ciid al-fitr mothers and sisters used to prepare buskut, xalwad, shushumoow, icun, alot of nacancad and different kinds of casiir. and ofcourse its tradition for the kids to have their new clothes. tho i can't remember if i got new for every ciid but i sure enjoyed all my ciids and at the end of the day JEEBABKU WAY BUUXDHAAFI JIREEN smile.gif

Oh ya ciid al-adxaa was even more exciting to see all those different looking animals walking around the neighborhood. alot of hilib i tell ya yummiee...

on the other hand 21st of oct was fun day. tho BULULEER (fireworks) used to scare the devil out of me sometime...and those miigs used to got me sweat like crazy man. specially when they fly over our house. remeber they used to fly real close. i always imagined them tearing off our JIINGADo off the roof :(

oh yah kumandoos is unforgetable with "mas macuntaa? haa. sidee u cuntaa? ham" dja remember da shizzle. and those ubaxa kacaanka kids singing with the famous song hmmm something with 'hoo yaaleey" can't remember the words but it was off the hizzle.

ps tarbuunka was real close to where i lived, and sneaking up to there early in the morning was shuqul ciyaalka xaafada, tho we weren't allowed to sit where marxuum afwayne is conspicuous ;)

phew back old dayz

Xoogsade   

Waraa nuune, waa sugi la'dahay miyaa in meesha la riixo? Qalqaaladaaba iigu daran loool. riix meesha riix yaah? Waan riixey waana fiirsadey smile.gif Thanks.