Sign in to follow this  
Baashi

A Day of Infamy

Baashi   

"A Day of Infamy"

Waxa-la-Yirri tol-beelay shout and xog-warran edition

By Ciil-Qabe Inna Qalbi-Wanaagsane

Today is a “Day of Infamy”. For the first time in history Ethiopian fighter jets have managed to fly over Somalia’s capital unchallenged and unopposed. For the second time in our history, a reconciliation government, a transitional one, declared that it is at war with its own people. Our leaders who supposed to advance the peace process have now been reduced to provide a cover for Ethiopian assault on Islamists.

Our veteran reporter Inna-Kaadi Najaasle is missing in action and as a result Waxa-la-Yirri has completely lost its reliable feed from the frontline. The staff of the gazette have gone through intensive training in the art of Qishid and the snail-paced choreography of putting left ear on the ground and deciphering the white-noise chatters so Waxa-la-Yirri can glean facts from the rubbish internet xaafado and its god-father Been Been Sii are dishing out to inform the uninformed public.

Waxa-la-Yirri staff’s diligence and professionalism hit the jackpot. Their effort have paid off big time. Waxa-la-Yirr can now bring clarity to the tragedy that has befallen onto Somalis. With clarity we hope the colonels in opposite sides of this tragedy can make an informed and calculated decision - call immediate ceasefire.

With the analysis of Dr. War-Mooge, the dean of School of Hard-Knocks, Haud University and Dr. Wax-Ma-Yaqaan, the professor of Kalligii Muslim studies, Liberal Education Center, Shalambood Universiry, Waxa-la-Yirri has the goods.

The way forward and the peace in south Somalia hinges on the wisdom of two old foxes. They are both colonels. They have both dominated and outmaneuvered their parties. They have both hijacked the agenda of peace in our land from their colleagues. They are both from the old guard establishment. They have met in a battlefield before. There is no lost love between these two colonels.

Colonel Aways is a devout Muslim to many Somalis. He has a history of advancing political Islam. He has refrained from taking part in the civil war. He is also a controversial figure. His opponents have accused him with double standard. They point at his passionate and forceful assertion in advancing the Islamic cause in Puntland and Gedo and his mute and indifference in Benadir.

With emergency of UIC, an entity that attained what no one else could, his name has appeared again. He was hailed as the savior of the Somalis and won praise from unlikely corners for the Benadir feat. Confident and impatient, colonel Uways, forced an skeptical Shura council to ride the momentum generated by the UIC success in Benadir and expand the movement to other areas of the country. He has also convinced the Shura the need (militarily) to fend off possible attacks in two strategic gates: Kismayo and Beledweyne.

These early decisions has made the TFG nervous and insecure in its center in Baidowa. With Jihad declaration and the ultimatum for Ethiopian withdrawal made the prospect of war inevitable. Dr. Wax-Ma-Yaqaan explained to our staff in no man’s land lava-ridden mountains of 66 degree line where they use northern lights reflections to pick up Waxa-la-Yirri chatters that to “wait a gathering threat is a suicide of sort”. “Absence of Khartoum deal, the presence of Ethiopian boots in Baidowa, and unceasing call of foreign troops by the TFG only meant one thing and only one thing: war” he concluded.

Colonel Yussuf is a veteran military man. He was imprisoned by late president Barre for his ambitions and released in 77 war for the army needed him for that war. He was first high officer who switched sides in the middle of the nationalistic war. He manipulated his clan members to join him in his rebellion against Barre regime. When Barre preempted and swept the elite of that clan under Laanta-Buuro and Labaatan-Jiroow prisons, Yussuf got what he wanted- a disenfranchised clan members. His rebellion got teeth and soon Somalia was engaged with a proxy war financed by its archenemy Ethiopia.

In the 1990’s when the country plagued with tribal wars, Yussuf emerged as an statesman and military leader of a tribe that was losing the tribal contest. He carved a fiefdom for his folks and under him despite iron hand they prospered and attained peace. Colonel Yussuf is ambitious man. Soon after he realized that he can sit the bargaining table, he set his eyes on the national seat. He pushed federalism where the contesting clans can assure themselves of having regional autonomy as a political safety-net if they lose the top seat. He undermined the first transitional government and succeeded to topple its leader Dr. Abdiqassim.

Colonel Yussuf pulled the most impressive trick when he succeeded in dividing Benadir clans and won the support of his archenemy in a election riddled with foreign interferences and bribery. The loosing side undermined the TFG and barred from entering the Benadir, the price of Somali politicking. He quickly realized the complexity of Benadir and he convinced himself that the only way forward is to bring foreign troops and make clean sweep of the clans who opposed him in Benadir.

With the emergency of UIC, the argument of Benadir took another significance. For the first time Benadir become peaceful under one entity. To complicate the intrigue, the UIC recognized the TFG and invited them to Benadir. The argument of foreign troops have been skillfully nullified by the UIC. Colonel Yussuf accepted the negotiation with UIC. Colonel Yussuf’s backers in Addis Ababa have become nervous. Some of UIC rank and file members were divided by the prospect of sharing power with self-declared secularist and ruthless military man.

It is in this backdrop where the two colonels made their dramatic escalation. Waxa-la-Yirri staff are still dissecting nuh-nuh chatters that proved extremely complex piece of info. No one knows how the UIC’s IndhaCadde took the center stage in declaring an impatient war against the TFG and Ethio backers.

“Whatever happened” Dr. War-Mooge said “one thing is clear and that is warlord IndhaCadde and his close Colonel Uways are leading the charge and Sherrif is not as visible as he was expected to be”. Asked what he makes of Ethiopian fighter jets bounding Somali cities and its tanks massacring ill-equipped Somali fighters Dr. War-Mooge responded “it is tragedy and the so-called transitional government is null and void as long as it is fighting alongside the Ethiopians”.

Both Dr. Wax-Ma-Yaqaan and Dr. War-Mooge agreed that the only solution to this tragedy is a complete and immediate ceasefire. Whether that is possible at this moment of time is something we can only find out by trying is the conclusion of the Somali experts – experts with impeccable credentials.

Waxa-la-Yirri staff will work day and night to bring clarity to the murky world of Somali politicking. The staff are in close contact with all experts in Somali affairs. Our two regular talking heads are weighing in the issues of the day from two different perspectives. The staff are also getting better in gathering chatters by making use of latest technology of communication: star gazing exercise, ear-to-ground push-up, and seeing through the dark with impressive northern lights lumens.

Keep your head up and keep hope alive,

Waxa-la-Yirri civil-war correspondence

Paragon   

^^Lol Baashi I honestly couldn't see in the body of your writting 'the day of infamy' with which you've titled your topic. A mention in the first and last paragraph...and nothing else. All seemed like stating the obvious background history of the key figures..the colonels :D .

Marka thats where my erm.. came from...caro ka dheer smile.gif

Baashi   

U didn't get it, do u? There is nothing to add to that. I'm calling for a ceasefire. You are calling the faithful to come out crush the Habasha invaders. Two diff positions. Today is holiday and I can make the rounds and settle this opposing point of view for once.

Buddy I'm on fire. I need maneeno. Are u up to the challenge yaa Paragon the warmongerer? Where are the warmongerers of the SOL..where is my man Kaligii Muslim magac qurxoone Mr. Alle-U-Baahane?

Paragon   

^^^ Lol, war anagaa wax aragney! When did I become the warmongerer? I am a defenssive realist sxb.

Taa kadib, maneeno hadaa rabtid, waa laguu hayaa sxb. I am up for the challenge...a civilised fadhi-ku-dirir.

Baashi   

U made my day Paragon. Civility is my middle name. Now make the case for what u call a "defensive realist". First what does it mean?

**Waryee Alle-U-Baahane shaarka ii qabo. This is a cyber-ku-dirir like no other. If u share Paragon's views plz help him make the argument**

Paragon   

Baashi

In Strategic or International Security Studies, where Realist Theory is dominant and applicable to everything external to the sovereign state's security, you wouldn't escape without hearing about John Mearsheimer's Offensive Realism. Mearsheimer simply campaigns for the accumulation of military and its total use to expand national 'interest'. He therefore suggests to make use of windows of opportunities, which some states may come to possess, such as being militarilly superior to other neighbouring states. In that case, the stateman should make offensive moves against these states, and if necessary, achieve territorial expansion. Much the same way Meles Zenawi is conducting his activities in Somalia. Since Mearsheimer wasn't simply an International Relations Theorist (read his interesting 'The Israeli Lobby' with Walt) only and happens to have an influence in America foreign policy, I would not be surprised if Meles read his work.

Contrary to Offensive realism, there is Defensive realism, which only allows the development of military power in balance with other states(or Waltzian balance-of-power) and for defensive purposes is the one I favour most. A defensive state is never aggressive or offensive and never initiates invasions on neighbouring countries- the opposite of today's Tigre Regime in Addis Ababa. Defensive therefore rules out pre-emptive actions upon percieved external or internal threats. Internally, offensive realists are more likely to supress descent and pay no attention to domestic problems. Externally, the state doesn't respect mutually upheld international norms, unwritten as they may seem.

Baashi, first tell me if my explanation makes sense to you and then we may continue with our fadhi-ku-dirir smile.gif .

Xoogsade   

Instead of suggesting "ceasefire", he could have been honest and said "must surrender", What a waste. They are all dishonest as they come.

They = pretentious neutralists whose contributon is a masked support for A/Y's government. Baashi fits the bill and sometimes sounds even more confused as he goes back and forth saying something but nothing in the end. One must take a position or keep quite.

Baashi   

^Engage me in the issues at hand yaa clean-hearted honest guy.

In any case you have a good point there. Ceasefire could mean surrender. However the one I'm proposing is not a surrender. Oh boy! Xoogsade I can come out and give my support to my clan elder Abdullahi Yussuf. I chose not to. I could but didn't and no one is preventing me to do so.

Are you man enough to go beyond "I'm and the faction I support are the embodiment of honesty, dignity, and what have you and the 'other' (read that as you wish) who air different point of view are gaalo raac kinda rubbish? Here is ur opp buddy! It takes a manly man to set emotions aside and make the case he advances.

Paragon,

My man I didn't ask you a rerun and paraphrases of theories. At issue is THIS war. UIC picked a fight with a neighboring nation. It called a Jihad. Somalia whose name it speaks are divided in fiefdoms and plagued with negative tribalism. Sir how this war of choice is a "defensive" war is what I'm interested to understand.

Boowe ku laabo dee and give me somthing jewable.

Paragon   

^^Adeer did you conveniently forget that you said: 'Now make the case for what u call a "defensive realist". First what does it mean?'

Baashi   

You are absolutely right there yaa Paragon. Indeed I did. However, I meant a case that's more inline with current conflict. Now the bush is clear make the case sxb.

Let's do it buddy. The floor is all yours.

Xoogsade   

Baashi, I like you, like an Older brother, and for a reason I can not tell you here saxib(If I tell, you will tell possibly, and then some people here might know who I am if they live in Minnesota, a risk I am not willing to take), wanted to admonish you into taking a position even one day and stop being neutral all the time. There are days one can not be neutral.

I can't write much because I don't have the cool head to deal with unjust (hateful not you) people.

It is just my inherent gullibility and wondering what is wrong with them that draws me back to their circle and talk even though I know it is useless to reason with them.

I am not that goodhearted, and I can kill for a just cause without worries and willing to be killed.

Baashi   

That's not enough my friend. I don't know you from John and Peter. You might know me in my days in MN. But that's not here and there.

The idea that one cannot be neutral in issues of the day has no legs to stand. Add that to the fact that I'm not neutral in this case. I have principles and my principles compelled me to support the stated goals of UIC.

However the way UIC excuted the plan is something I totally oppose and for a reason at that. I'm not willing to cheerlead for an strategy I oppose 100%.

Now the ceasefire is something I think benefits the UIC. if you see holes in my argument go for it and show me what they are. If you are too emotional to engage me plz stay away for I'm looking for someone who can challenge me without getting all worked up.

FYI I've been wrong before and I will not be surprised if some1 proves me wrong today. Ceasefire is the way forwad. This is my stand.

Castro   

Xoogsadow, atheer you're barking up the wrong tree here. A ceasefire is a must. The question is, how much will ICU have lost militarily and what concessions will they have to make when they are forced to sit at the table. This is no cut and run but cut and assess.

You are right tho, one cannot be neutral on a moving train and old Baashi isn't.

Edited: But Baashi, it's ceasefire or a route so it's not really a novel idea you're proposing here. Take it a little further. With whom shall this ceasefire be negotiated and under which terms?