Sign in to follow this  
The Rocks Chick

Is it Haraam or ........???

My non-somali friends and I were discussing about what's forbidden in islaam, so they would ask me something and I would tell me to the best of my knowledge.

However, my friend Mark asked me the following question;" is masturbation also forbidden? " and frankly I didnt know, and I told him so, but he is a catholic and it is forbidden, he was talking about " sins of the flesh and some mumbo jumbo".

So I ask you nomads, and those of you who know the islamic religion more in depth. What does our religion say about masturbation ?

Thanx for you time

xoxox

Buubto   

Aslaamu Caleykum Wr Wb

sis regarding your question I have searched & this is the articles I came a cross that answered ur q:-

[Masturbation] becomes an issue [to Muslims, for example, with] the collection of semen. So in order to do this, in most cases one would have to indulge in the act of masturbation.

Throughout the centuries, the majority of scholars have ruled that masturbation is haram (forbidden). Even with such a ruling there is no set punishment for the act itself. The main argument of making it haram is:

(The Believers) who abstain from sex,

Except with those joined to them in the marriage bond or (the captives) whom their right hands possess - for (in their case) they are free from blame. [Qur'an 23:5-6]

It is stated that the only halal [allowable] time to use the sexual organ is outlined in this ayat [verse]. That any use of the organ in any other way sexually is to transgress the boundaries given in Qur'an making one a transgressor.

But those whose desires exceed those limits are transgressors. [Qur'an 23:7]

It is important to note at this point, this ruling does not apply when masturbation involves ones wife. Meaning that if a wife is sexually gratifying her husband in such a way, it is permissible. [For example, in the case where the wife is in a very advanced stage of pregnancy, and sexual intercourse with penetration, either fully or partially, is not advisable or practicable, then the wife's hand may be used for gratification of her husband's sexual needs -- Editor] Because the man has a right to receive enjoyment from his wife. [see also the paragraph beginning with A young husband . . .from al-Ghazzali's 'Ihya Ulum-id-din. -- Ed.]

Now while I personally feel this happens to be a very minute issue of infertility, many Muslims point to this when a couple seeks treatment. They neglect that there is a basic ideal within Islam that if one must do something that is normally haram [forbidden] by necessity, then it becomes permissible. We see this point very clearly in the forbidance of certain foods, but Allah has also stated along side the prohibition:

...But if one is forced by necessity without wilful disobedience nor transgressing due limits - then is he guiltless. For God is Oft-forgiving Most Merciful. [Qur'an 2:173]

But (even so) if a person is forced by necessity without wilful disobedience nor transgressing due limits -

thy Lord is Oft-forgiving Most Merciful. [Qur'an 6:145]

This ideal is not limited to only that of food, but is an accepted general rule within shariah (Islamic Law). This general acceptance can also be seen in the actions of Umar (r.a.) who lifted the punishment for theft in the time of famine. This same point has been brought into discussion by Abul Ebrahim, which he states:

"But the question before us now is whether it would be forbidden under Islamic law to masturbate in order to obtain the semen so as to have one's wife impregnated with it through artificial insemination. Support of permitting it should be argued on the basis that engaging in the act is not to derive pleasure but, rather, to obtain semen for the specific purpose of trying to solve the problem of infertility. Permission would come from the purpose oriented concept of the higher goals contained in the juristic principle that 'necessity renders the forbidden permissible." [1]

What a couple could choose to do is have the wife "help" the husband collect the semen. Or keep in mind that Allah (swt) does not want Islam to be a hardship for us, but rather an easement. And He is oft forgiving and most Merciful to those committed by necessity.

References

HERE IS ANOTHER ARTICLE ABOUT MASTURBATION

Why Masturbation is Haram

(taken from 'Islam - The Modern Religion' website)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Prophet said: Among those whom Allah will not look at on the Day of Resurrection, and to whom He will say, "Enter the Fire along with those who enter," the Prophet (pbuh) counted the following: The active and the passive partners in homosexuality; the one who has sex with animals; the one who is married to a woman and her daughter at the same time; and the one who masturbates regularly, unless they repent and reform.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If masturbation was permitted wouldn't the prophet have said it was ok to do while we fast instead of having sex.

Touching the sexual organ without any 'barrier' between the hand and the organ: Busrah bint Safwan narrated that the Prophet, upon whom be peace, said, "Whoever touches his sexual organ cannot pray until he performs ablution."

This hadith is related by 'the five'. At-Tirmidhi classified it as sahih and al-Bukhari called it the most authentic report on that topic. Malik, ash-Shaifi, Ahmad and others also narrated it. Abu Dawud said, "I asked Ahmad, 'Is the hadith of Busrah authentic?' He said, 'Certainly it is authentic."

In the narration of Ahmad and an-Nasa'i, Busrah heard the Prophet saying, "Ablution is to be made by the one who touches his sexual organ." This is general and encompasses touching one's own sexual organs or touching somebody else's. Abu Hurairah reported the Prophet as saying, "Whoever touches his sexual organ without any covering (between them) must perform ablution." (Related by Ahmad, Ibn Hibban and al-Hakim, who classified it as sahih, as did Ibn 'Abdul-Barr.)

23:5. Who abstain from sex,

23:6. Except with those joined to them in the marriage bond, or (the captives) whom their right hands possess,- for (in their case) they are free from blame,

23:7. But those whose desires exceed those limits are transgressors.

Masturbation (for both men and women) is haraam (forbidden) in Islam based on the following evidence:

First from the Qur’aan:

Imam Shafi’i stated that masturbation is forbidden based on the following verses from the Qur’aan (interpretation of the meaning):

"And those who guard their chastity (i.e. private parts, from illegal sexual acts). Except from their wives or (the captives and slaves) that their right hands possess, - for them, they are free from blame. But whoever seeks beyond that, then those are the transgressors." 23.5-7

Here the verses are clear in forbidding all illegal sexual acts (including masturbation) except for the wives or that their right hand possess. And whoever seeks beyond that is the transgressor.

"And let those who find not the financial means for marriage keep themselves chaste, until Allah enriches them of His bounty." 24.33. This verse also clearly orders whoever does not have the financial means to marry to keep himself chaste and be patient in facing temptations (including masturbation) until Allah enriches them of His bounty.

Secondly, from the sunnah of the Prophet (peace be upon him):

Abdullaah ibn Mas’ood said: We were with the Prophet while we were young and had no wealth whatsoever. So Allaah’s Messenger said, "O young people! Whoever among you can marry, should marry, because it helps him lower his gaze and guard his modesty (i.e. his private parts from committing illegal sexual intercourse etc.), and whoever is not able to marry, should fast, as fasting diminishes his sexual power." Bukhari:5066.

The hadeeth orders men who are not able to marry to fast despite the hardship encountered in doing so, and not to masturbate despite the ease with which it can be done.

There are additional evidences that can be cited to support this ruling on masturbation, but due to the limited space we will not go through them here. Allaah knows what is best and most correct.

As for curing the habit of masturbation, we recommend the following suggestions:

The motive to seek a cure for this problem should be solely following Allaah’s orders and fearing His punishment.

A permanent and quick cure from this problem lies in marriage as soon as the person is able, as shown in the Prophet’s hadeeth.

Keeping oneself busy with what is good for this world and the hereafter is essential in breaking this habit before it becomes second nature after which it is very difficult to rid oneself of it.

Lowering the gaze (from looking at forbidden things such as pictures, movies etc.) will help suppress the desire before it leads one to commit the haraam (forbidden). Allaah orders men and women to lower their gaze as shown in the following two verses and in the Prophet’s hadeeth (interpretations of the meanings):

"Tell the believing men to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things) and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.). That is purer for them. Verily, Allah is All-Aware of what they do. And tell the believing women to lower their gaze (from looking at forbidden things) and protect their private parts (from illegal sexual acts, etc.) ..... " 24.30-31

Allaah’s messenger said: "Do not follow a casual (unintentional) look (at forbidden things) with another look." Al-Tirmidhi 2777. This is a general instruction by the Prophet to abstain from all that may sexually excite a person because it might lead him/her to commit the haraam (forbidden).

Using one’s available leisure time in worshipping Allaah and increasing religious knowledge.

Being cautious not to develop any of the medical symptoms that may result from masturbation such as weak eyesight, weak nervous system, and/or back pain. More importantly, feeling of guilt and anxiety that can be complicated by missing obligatory prayers because of the need to shower (ghusl) after every incidence of masturbation.

Avoiding the illusion that some youth have that masturbation is permissible because it prevents them from committing illegal sexual acts such as fornication or even homosexuality.

Strengthening one’s willpower and avoiding spending time alone as recommended by the Prophet when he said "Do not spend the night alone" Ahmad 6919.

Following the Prophet’s aforementioned hadeeth and fast when possible, because fasting will temper one’s sexual desire and keep it under control. However, one should not overreact and swear by Allaah not to return to the act because if one does not honor one’s promise, one would be facing the consequences of not living up to one’s oath to Allaah. Also, note that medication to diminish one’s sexual desire is strictly prohibited because it might permanently affect one’s sexual ability.

Trying to follow the Prophet’s recommendation concerning the etiquette of getting ready for bed, such as reading well-known supplications, sleeping on the right side, and avoiding sleeping on the belly (the Prophet forbade sleeping on the belly).

Striving hard to be patient and chaste, because persistence will eventually, Allaah willing, lead to attaining those qualities as second nature, as the Prophet explains in the following hadeeth:

"Whoever seeks chastity Allaah will make him chaste, and whoever seeks help from none but Allaah, He will help him, and whoever is patient He will make it easy for him, and no one has ever been given anything better than patience." Bukhari:1469.

Repenting, asking forgiveness from Allaah, doing good deeds, and not losing hope and feeling despair are all prerequisites to curing this problem. Note that losing hope is one of the major sins punishable by Allaah.

Finally, Allaah is the Most Merciful and He always responds to whoever calls on Him. So, asking for Allah’s forgiveness will be accepted, by His will.

Wallahu a’lam. And Allah knows what is best and most correct.

- Ali Aman

Abdinuur   

Buubto,

Jazaaka-Allahu Khayr!!!!

One comment that I have for anyone.

Sorry for my ignorant azz but what does the statement ...or (the captives) whom their right hands possess... really mean? I have read this in various subject but I dont have a clear image on what it means exactly. If you're not comfortable posting it on here, you can send me an Email or use the PM!

Peace Love.

aslamu calaykum w.w

thanx Buubto, that was very informative.

abdinuur,

bro according to my understanding of this, at the time of prophet mohamed(S.A.W), the muslims, after coming back from jihad defeating the enemies, would bring back captives with them(and this would include women). so they would keep them as their slaves which means their right hand posses them.

thats all i know, i am sure there is alot more information on this topic, i hope u find it.

wasalamu calykum.

Thunder   

The Rocks Chick

"However, my friend Mark asked me the following question;" is masturbation also forbidden?"

redface.gif Why are you discussing masturbation with a male who has no relation to you and is not your teacher?

Before you worry about if a specific sexual act is forbiden in Islam or not, firts learn the ADAB of a Muslimah. Xishood!

Abdinuur   

Thunder,

It could happen to anyone though brotha. Be mindful about it. I think it's a matter of spreading some knowlege rather than the EDAB issue.

Anywayz, Xamdiya, what did the slaves do? Labor Work? Plantation? :confused:

P.S. cool name! :eek:

Xafsa   

Abdinuur: That phrase is referring to slaves owned by the muslims back in the day. If i'm not mistaking the "right hand" part means they are slaves captured in a halal way. I heard this being reffered to female slaves that the muslim men owned...telling them that they are like their wives.

Peace

XAfsa

Thunder   

Abdinur

I do agree with about the part about spreading the knowledge. But it is inappropriate to engage a conversation about masturbation with someone of the opposite sex. Someone doesn't just jump and ask you a question like that.

Thunder,

Mark is buddy, and we talk about everything, masturbation is the least of the things we talk about, it is called socializing, I am sure you know nothing about that.

As you pointed out, we are not related, but neither are we, so who died and made you in charge of my morals, and what gave you the idea that you can tell me who I should talk to about certain subjects????? :mad:

You are a presumptuous little man, and please dont thunder in to my business agian.

Althought I am curious to know what upset you the most (masturbation or somali girl and white guy talking about it), which ever it is get over it.

xoxox

DraGon   

Rock Chick

Your question has been answered by knowledgeable brothers and sisters {Jaazakallahu}. I think the question is appropriate and the brother who questioned your ADAB was out of line.

But out of curiosity why did you find necessary to mention your friends name...this is cyberworld....is it to let us know that you have white friends??

Sis. who asked the question is irrelevant to us/or the question asked, unless you wanted to point out that u have white friends. Beside how were we suppose to know Mark is white???

Nowadays having "white friends" is the IN thing with Somalis (not to say there is anything wrong with whites)...phrase like I hung with non-somali is very common with Somalis, I wonder if its suppose to symbolize something or does it give one a different status.

Kool_Kat   

R_C, damnnnn chik what's up with the topic... C'mon now... I don't know nothing about nothing... Am gonna keep my mouth shut, cuz I don't wanna give you wrong info...

Get it... Good, now let's dance... Right right right...

PS Thunder maskiinta gugaca kadaa, dhulkaaba lagariirin rabtaayee... Shoooooooooo...

MaandeeQ   

DRAGON

Quote:

Your question has been answered by knowledgeable brothers and sisters {Jaazakallahu}. I think the question is appropriate and the brother who questioned your ADAB was out of line.

I think what u said above was correct. With all due respect walaal, why do u have to keep going N mention the rest?! :confused:

I'm sure most of US know non-muslim ppl either from school, work or even as a neighbour whether they r black or white N it's possible that some of them might ask Questions regarding our faith.....

The fact s our sis came here looking 4 answers, N that's what we have to focus on n help her with instead of putting her behaviour in Question.

My point s , N this goes 4 everyone, if u know the right answer be kind n reply, just the way Buubto, Xamdiya N Xafsa did, otherwise stop assuming n leave the judgment to the one n only Subxaanahu Watacaalaa.

"Irxamu Min Fil Ardi, Yarxamakum Min Fil Samaa'i"

Dragon,

The simple truth is that I didnt even think about the name thing until you pointed out. FYI, I have alots of somali friends and I am proud of that, but I also have friends from different cultures and backgrounds. After all I live in Canada, and it doesnt get any more diverse than here. That being said, I dont know anything about " having a white friends is the it thing", how ironic that you know about that???????

I have known my ajnabi friends since high school, we went to the same college, and now we occasionally get to together and have coffee and chat about stuff.

It seems to me that somali guys have an issue when it comes to non-somali males :( ........Now, why is that???????? I think I am gonna post a topic about this......huuuuhmmmmmmmm

Kool_Kat,

Welcome back, havent read you arround lately, whacha been upto? ;)

Maandeeq,

what can I say, some people dont just get it, but thanx for setting them straight.