Sign in to follow this  
StarGazer

RIS: Dec. 24-26th. TORONTO

Originally posted by x_quizit:

Personally it has revived my spirit, reawakened my committment to my faith, and I congratulate the youth for putting the conference together in order to unite the ummah.

...Dr. Tareq also called for women to take on leadership positions, how the issue of voting was a non issue since women back then have always voted-example-when ppl had to choose btwn Uthman and Ali, a man went to every door, asked all men and women, for who they wanted, so he admonished his native Kuwait and Saudi Arabia for holding back women and their rights that Islam has long ago granted.

Looks like the conference left a permanent (and positive) mark on your faith. And that was the entire objective.

Secondly, I'm glad Dr. Tareq talked about the issue of voting. Some of the Muslim nations today seem to downplay the role of women in Muslim society, getting Islam a bad rap from the unbelievers in the process.

Thanks for sharing. Peace.

Assalamu Alaikum,

Although I'm physically exhausted, I'am spiritually revived after attending this historically event. I've been attending conventions since the age of 13 and this event drew more muslims of different levels (deen) and background then any event I've ever attended. I saw more Somali families this year Alhamdulilah. I was pleasant suprised to learn one of my close friends held a position....way to go girl ;)

Anyway, X-quizit beautifully summarized some key points. This year I was unable to take notes because of low lighting. I can't say I disliked any of the speakers. X-quizit, trust me you're not the only one who finds Imam Zaid Shakir facinating..I love his speeches. Also I was happy to have heard for the first time Dr. Omar Faruq, I think he's a great contribution to not only the Ummah but to humanity as well. Sh. Hamza Yusuf...never fails to always give us food for thought. Sh. Suwaidan, may Allah reward you for your efforts...he truly has the gift to engage with the audience....I was looking for his books...sadly I was unable to locate any. Thank you for tackling sensitive issues muslims love to sweep under the carpet. Let's see....the Qari Hassen Rasool subxanallah, delivered a beautiful recitation of the Quran. What happened to Jamal Badawi? :( My 13yr.old sister was looking forward to her fav. speaker Siraj Wahaj who was also unable to make it.

Khary

Salaamz,

This is soundinggg moreee and moreee

like an EVANGLICAL or a UNITED NATIONS gatheringgg.

I remember when the comic and Sami Yusuf were performing , this man was visibly upset with the entertainment Idea (his wife was embarressed by his outburst) ..and left!! I learned that you can't satisfy all muslims. However, I have a feeling that most muslims who were present this past weekend truly enjoyed, learned, and were inspired by this gathering. My cousin is a proof, she's alhamdulilah considering on wearing the hijab in the near future. We have to remember the point of it all is to unite muslims and to find common grounds with eachother instead of finding faults with one another. I saw brothers and sisters who normally wouldn't attend any muslim gathering. I saw hijabis and non-hijabi sisters who felt the love and not rejected. Also about the clapping, like I said above Insha Allah maybe one day we'll seize clapping (btw which isn't Haram) bcos alot of muslims come from societies that clap...however when he said Tabiir is Bidca..I think he meant its a new innovation which doesn't necessarily mean Haram...however he disliked it to be said loudly, bcos muslim Adab is to not shout. So say it without yelling.

Canadinized

Crazy IKhwani Muslimeen, they will do anything for called Unity, even distort the Sunnah, to please their fans....

There's nothing wrong with not agreeing with a sheikh or an Imam ..however we must be careful to accuse our revivers of misleading the ummah. You have to have proof. Are you a learned person? and if so, what points did you agree/disagree with? Did you know that there was a fatwa floating around the net that was againts attending this conference based on hear/say? Subxanallah! We must work towards eradicating this disease of mistrust and sabotage rampant in our community ..which ironically was the whole point of the convention!!!!

x_quizit   

Tamina...excellent points, u basically answered the skeptics with the same thoughts i had...i wish there was more somalis...although im happy to say i saw a lot of sisters...yet very few somali men...(with the lowered gaze of course) ;) ....instead of complaining about what u didnt agree with..show us proof...because all the sheikhs showed sunnahs, quran verses...the context which things were said, etc...i dont think any of them were sugarcoating anything....like Tamina said..bottom line... was to unite the ummah...practice the deen as it should be and not in the slant of our cultures...follow the sunnah of the Prophet (saw)...and do as he did...if theres anything he didnt do, dont do it urself....forgiveness, gentleness...justice...all embody what Islam stands for...and what we must all strive to do as much as we can of it..

memorable quotes..:

"how many ppl cry for their kids when they are dead and wonder, would they go to jannah or hell, instead of wondering, how will my kids live when im off the face of the earth"

"life is so short, why waste it on hate when theres not enuff time to love?"

Peace

Tamina I know Sami Yusef and Hamza Yusef, those crazy Sufi, and your clear sufi so there is no much dicussion here walaal,

there is a Crazy Ikhwani Saying" A Bida'ah that unites us is better then a tawheed that Divides us"

The Ummah of Muhammad Will never UNite, And i say this In the Name of Allah, and those who seek Unity only seek the hell fire! Ahlul Sunnah wal jama'ah will never Unite with Ahlul Bid'ah, and how could this be, when the messenger of Allah says the following

The Messenger of Allah said "Whoever innovates or accommodates an innovator then upon him is the curse of Allaah, His Angels and the whole of mankind." Bukhaaree (12/41)

I was there, and the only reviving that was going on was Bid'ah, shirk and more innovations.... and the ignorant people who know jack about islam are also the ones who fall for their craziness!!! Masakeen

Baashi   

^ Think big and try to see the bigger picture. I wasn’t there and I can’t comment on what went on in that gathering but, for the face of it, it seems very enlightening and beneficial program for the participants and the community. Even if there were some mishaps and deviations, your approach is not helpful especially when Islam, the whole idealogy, is under attack.

Here is news for you, plz read it and see how your comments plays right into the trap. Rand Corporation, a semi-autonomous think-tank is commissioned to outline a strategy to redefine Islam, find and promote Muslim leaders and intellectuals of their choice, and involve Western governments in reorganizing and transforming Islam. Rand come up a lengthy report with these policy recommendations, and I quote :

1. Support the modernists first, enhancing their vision of Islam over that of the traditionalists by providing them with a broad platform to articulate and disseminate their views. They, not the traditionalists, should be cultivated and publicly presented as the face of contemporary Islam.

2. "Support the secularists on a case-by-case basis.

3. "Encourage secular civic and cultural institutions and programs.

4. "Back the traditionalists enough to keep them viable against the fundamentalists (if and wherever those are our choices) and to prevent a closer alliance between these two groups.

5. "Within the traditionalists, we should selectively encourage those who are the relatively better match for modern civil society. For example, some Islamic law schools are far more amenable to our view of justice and human rights than are others.

6. "Finally, oppose the fundamentalists energetically by striking at vulnerabilities in their Islamic and ideological postures, exposing things that neither the youthful idealists in their target audience nor the pious traditionalists can approve of: their corruption, their brutality, their ignorance, the bias and manifest errors in their application of Islam, and their inability to lead and govern." (P. 47-48)

There are also additional activities that they deem necessary to support the overall approach...keep reading:

1. "Help break the fundamentalist and traditionalist monopoly on defining, explaining, and interpreting Islam.

2. "Identify appropriate modernist scholars to manage a Web site that answers questions related to daily conduct and offers modernist Islamic legal opinions.

3. "Encourage modernist scholars to write textbooks and develop curricula.

4. "Publish introductory books at subsidized rates to make them as available as the tractates of fundamentalist authors.

5. "Use popular regional media, such as radio, to introduce the thoughts and practices of modernist Muslims to broaden the international view of what Islam means and can mean." (p. 48)

Blessed   

Mansha Allah, sounds like a worthwhile event. We had a few in London but I was way too busy to go.

Anyway; Tamina, X-quisit and Baashe. May Allah reward ya'll for keeping us posted. smile.gif

pearl   

Tamina I know Sami Yusef and Hamza Yusef, those crazy Sufi, and your clear sufi so there is no much dicussion here walaal,

u just jump the gun there...u dont have right to label ppl whom u dont know jack about..

The Ummah of Muhammad Will never UNite, And i say this In the Name of Allah, and those who seek Unity only seek the hell fire! Ahlul Sunnah wal jama'ah will never Unite with Ahlul Bid'ah, and how could this be, when the messenger of Allah says the following

istaqfurallah...u and i both know that we all seek unity..the only way we'll ever gain back ur status as muslims back in this world is to unite.....walalo..seriously who has been brainwashing u?....

-x and tamina pretty much covered everything...but there is one thing i learned and which applies to u is that...allah says "give glad tiding to ppl when ur calling them to islam"....u shouldnt try to degrade them and make them out to be inferior than u...instead of labelling them as sufi or whatever...that only starts a "am better than u battle".....dont chase them away.....attract them to islam...

on the other hand dont hesitate to warn them of their bad deeds...speak up..if u got a drug using brother warn him and invite him to do good

-i was amazed to know that in sura 2-143...states that " thus have made of you an ummah justly balanced"....meaning that islam avoids all extravagances on either side...to be on the middle road.....i knew that...but what really amazed me was ..the meaning of the verse and its location is that same!..subhanallah..

- there is a hadith that the rasool asks a sahabi to recite the quran and while reading the quran the sahabi came upon a verse in the quran that says that mohammed will be a witness against his ummah...such as in 2-143....the rasool asked him to stop reciting the quran cuz he was soo shaken and overwhelmed by the fact that he will be a witness against us......this hadith was a wakeup call...cuz there is no excuse to not follow islam once we have been told...

Baashi Wallaal Jazakallahu Khairan, wan akhriye wacad qorte, laakin goma fahmeen! Wan garte inhe Gaalodu raaban inhe deenta baabiyan, laakin waalal, what does this have to do with Muslim spreading innovations and deviations. Anigo deenta inyar ban gaaranaya, lakin waalal, wan innan sunnatada qabsano, Nabi Muhammad woxu yidi†Wakulu Bida’atan dhalala, wa Kulu Dhalalatin fee Naar†Ibn Abbaas na wuxu yidi

"Indeed the most detestable of things to Allaah are the innovations."

wa hadith wayan, haadan waxba samanin Muslimeenta sonata bay kategayan, marka jannah ma galnikaarno. maad ee fahamte?

“u just jump the gun there...u dont have right to label ppl whom u dont know jack about..â€

No waalaal I did not I was just applying principal I was thought which makes sense which is “judge a person by their companions or those whom they admire/praise†For example if you know nothing about me, but im constantly praising Khumayni, and you know the teachings of Khumayni u will come to the conclusion that I follow whatever he follows!

The whole world knows Hamza USELESS and his Crazy dances(you know when they gather in a circle, chanting…Alllahu Allahu Allahu AllAAAAAAAAAAAAAhu)I was reading an article by Yusef Estes about Hamza inshallah if ur interested I can post it, very interesting, kinda funny though, sufies always make me laugh lool

“istaqfurallah...u and i both know that we all seek unity..the only way we'll ever gain back ur status as muslims back in this world is to unite.....walalo..seriously who has been brainwashing u?....â€

U know the sunnah has brainwashing me SubhanallahïŠ

You speak of unity.. waalal what shall we unite upon

Our prophet said,â€my Ummah will SPLIT IN 73 SECTS and all in the fire but oneâ€

Ok Waaalal, I really do hate debating and arguing since it produces no benefit but inshallah for the sake of Clarification I like to ask u few question in the hopes that I will get a better understand of what your trying to say

If 72 of them are going to the fire(All muslims), When will they Unite, after or before they enter the fire? And Shall that one group who is safed from the fire unite with those who are not, taking a change of being influenced by them?

mashallah perhaps you believe that you may have benefited from the convention, but waalal do u know any of the speakers and their Creed, How do u know that these speakers are not from the 72 sects heading to the fire and also calling you to it?

There is a 85 pages book written on Dr Taariq As-Suwaydaan!

Where is the benefit when people tell you something about islam twisting and turning to suit their desires, really Allah nor His messenger sanctioned it? the Theme of the Ikhwani Muslim is to compromise the sunnah to unite the Ummah! But I shall follow the Sunnah even if that means I may be only, lest I find myself among the Wrongdoers!

“And (remember) the day when the Dhaalim(wrongdoer) will bite at his hands, he will say, ‘Oh! Would that I had taken a path with the Messenger. Ah! Woe to me! Would that I had never taken so-and-so as a friend! He indeed led me

astray from the Reminder after it had come to me.’ And Shaitaan is ever

a deserter to man in the hour of need.â€

powerful words!

Khayr   

Salaamz,

Something interest to share....

It was on the paper this morning, that 38 muslims heading back to the states, where detained and harassed b/c they had gone to this conference.

Also, Shiekh Hamzaaa Yusufff, was harassed this passed tuesday on his way back to home from toronto. He told officals that he is an American Citizen and border officials told him something to the likes of that it doesn't matter what Citizenship u are at Border crossings. Apparently, if your muslim that is your Citizenship and all else is Irrelvant.

Now if only most Muslims could view their association with the Deen like they are percieved-Muslim first and Americannn or Somliannn second etc.

I am a little confused about Baashi's posting of that article and his own postion. Its not clear to me but to each his own.

Fi Amanillah

pearl   

canadinized..

i see that u changed ur tone..bravo..it never pays to be aggressive..

If 72 of them are going to the fire(All muslims), When will they Unite, after or before they enter the fire? And Shall that one group who is safed from the fire unite with those who are not, taking a change of being influenced by them?

i do know that they will unite say for example to defeat jews and cristians..as islam will be the last religion standing...other than that as the rasool says "only one shall enter janah"

do u know any of the speakers and their Creed, How do u know that these speakers are not from the 72 sects heading to the fire and also calling you to it?

i have my suspicions of a few but no solid proof....and nor i do take everything that is being told to me as the truth...i wasnt born yesterday...i have the quran and hadith as a source

but what i dont understand is that if u are soo against this convention and its speakers then why did u waste ur time and money if u already have a preconceived opinion about it being full of bidah and shirk?.....on the bidah part i do agree to some extent....but i have never seen any shirk being taught

Originally posted by Khayr:

Salaamz,

Also, sounds like these speakers are more and more

trying to accomodate to their 'MODERN' 'PRO-GENDER EQUALITY' 'PRO-LIBERALISM' crowd.

Hellz yeah!!

In any case, I'm surprised no one mentioned my favorite speaker: Zakir Nair the reference guy! I love the way he references his work so you can go back and verify for yourself. I, like Tam, did not take notes because of low-lighting.

canadianized said:

Allah used the word "beat"

oh yeah? the word beat was in English in the original Arabic Koran? I'm sorry, I must have missed it, what verse is that?

^ LoL, I thought he was the carbon copy of Ahmed Deedat, who inspired him.

Funny you've reminded me something Muneer El-Kassem said at the conference " I prescribed to none of the above (sufi, salafi, tabliig, etc.)....I am a MUSLIM". I guess these days, saying you're MUSLIM isn't good enough for muslims...but honey, I don't live and breathe for you...I live bcos of the of mercy of Allah, and by the guidance sent down to the beloved Rasuul, sallalahu caylahi wa salaam. Still not satisfied?

AAh well, that's the problem with many of us...I pray that ALLAH guides us all, aaamin.