Sign in to follow this  
AfricaOwn

Are Punlanders among the most patriotic Somalis?

Castro   

^^^^ For someone who can't stand this nonsense thread, you're having a hard time staying away. :D

Resist the temptation to muddy yourself atheer.

Nephissa   

Patriotism means loving your country, not the government. But in a not so perfect world [somalia] in order to be patriotic you must love your region, it's people then become the enemy of the rest of Mankind.

Dhaam right, I'm patriotic and proud of my tuulo and qabiil, the rest of you can all go to 'ell.

Jacpher   

^You could be proud of your Umbrella but you don't have to send the noble reer Aw-bakeyle to hell? How dare?

On a serious note, in Somali culture, the pledge of clanism overweights that of patriotism. Those in the country do not have much choice in most scenarios but to appear as much patriotic as possible for the clan leader in return of some protection and survival. The ones behind a monitor screen somewhere in qurbo? I don't get it.

NinBrown   

Northerner horat adiga meesha sheeko ciyall lee ku heysaa. Adiga patriotic horta matahay, mise qabiilkaaga lee ilaalsataa.

In general I find most somalis are not patriotic so the question should be 'who is the least patriotic out of the somalis'

N.O.R.F   

^^What is patriotism? What is there to be patriotic about?

To some it means supporting an invasion/occupation.

sheeko ciyaal dhe,,,

Peacenow   

Somalis are certainly not a patriotic people. It's not a strong feeling inside them. Now the Turks, these have got to be the most patriotic people I have ever seen.

Generally, a people are more patriotic, the more wealthy a country is. When you reach a certain level of development, the flag comes out. So Puntlanders maybe be 'relative' to Somalis. But all in all. No.

Originally posted by Northerner:

How so, wouldn't it actually be the opposite? :rolleyes:

If you're patriotic you want what's best for your country, not the opposite. smile.gif

Peacenow   

Originally posted by OKComputer:

quote:Originally posted by Northerner:

How so, wouldn't it actually be the opposite? :rolleyes:

If you're patriotic you want what's best for your country, not the opposite.
smile.gif
I don't agree with you OK. Here is my reason. People will not be patriotic just for the sake of it. They are because they are prideful os what the country has become. Look at this equation.

Would you ensure you don't litter well organised and beautiful garden or one that has been left to die?

Fabregas   

quote:Generally, a people are more patriotic, the more wealthy a country is. When you reach a certain level of development, the flag comes out.

This is not the case with some scandanavian countries.

Fabregas   

That might well be the case in Norway, but I still fail to see how development is neccesarily linked to being patriotic. Perhaps being nationalistic and patriotic are two different things? Palestinians probably come across as probaly some of the most patriotic people in the world. Even with Somalis stick the Somali flag and wave it around and their will be a tremendous buzz. The Somali flag could well one of the most liked flags by it's people in the world. You also said:

quote:They are because they are prideful os what the country has become

Who has more pride than Somalis? We look down on some other Africans, Habashis, Arabs and whites because we consider ourselves "Somalis", a unique and beautiful group of people. This is also the case with Amhara and Tigray who consider themselves to occupy a unique place within the African and Semetic society. They are prideful because they claim to be the descendants of Solomon and Sheba. Thus just these two groups plus Palestinians shows that you be at the lowest in terms socio-economic status but still have a certain amount Nationalism,Pride and patriotism so to speak.