Sign in to follow this  
LANDER

The Hutton Repot

LANDER   

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/spl/hi/uk_politics/03/hutton_inquiry/key_players/html/default.stm

Rather pathetic, where is the government accountability for the WMD matter? I expected more from british democracy.

"I am satisfied that there was not a dishonourable or underhand or duplicitous strategy on the part of the prime minister and officials to leak Dr Kelly's name covertly"

Lord Hutton on the prime minister

Blessed   

Unbelievable. Bully - Blair is ultimately invincible. Or is the media hype not a true representation of the views of Britons MP’s? He has even won the vote on tuition fees – didn’t see that coming.........I mean one minut we hate Blair the next 'In Blair we trust' =- why can't these ppl make up their mind and spare us the drama?

Anyhoot, Luckily there are some decent Brits..who are are prepared to stick by the truth regardless....I likes Ms. Short, I does :D

January 29, 2004

The truth is Britain was tricked into going to war

Clare Short

Hutton did not ask the big question - did the Prime Minister deceive us?

Tony Blair is a very lucky man. Lord Hutton has completely acquitted him of the criticism that the September dossier was improperly influenced by political pressure — unless it was “subconsciously influenced” by the desire to please the Prime Minister on the part of John Scarlett and the Joint Intelligence Committee.

There was unsurprisingly jubilation in government quarters at Lord Hutton’s conclusions. But it will not be the final word on many of the big questions of how we got to war in Iraq. If we step back from the detail of Lord Hutton’s findings, we should ask whether it is right to treat one broadcast at 6.07am on the Today programme, after the conflict in Iraq was over, as of equal significance to a dossier that was made available to the public by the Government in order to make the case for war.

It seems to me — despite Lord Hutton’s careful findings — that it remains the case that the Gilligan story was basically true, reflected what David Kelly said to him, and that Andrew Gilligan is guilty of nothing more than sloppy wording when he said that the Government inserted the 45-minutes figure probably “knowing it to be wrong”. The problem with Lord Hutton’s findings is that the whole world now knows that the dossier was inaccurate. We know from evidence given to Lord Hutton himself that the 45-minutes claim was provided by one source who had reason to try to influence British thinking. We also know that the source claimed only that chemical weapons, only capable of being used on a battlefield within Iraq, might be made available within 45 minutes of an order to prepare them, and that the thinking of the intelligence agencies was that Saddam Hussein might use such weapons only if attacked.

We have only to look at the press reports the day after the dossier was published to understand the way in which the PR operation led by Alastair Campbell was exaggerating the threat to Britain from Iraq’s WMD.

In recent statements the Prime Minister has rested his case — that there were WMD — on the intelligence he received. But the truth is that the intelligence was exaggerated. The intelligence agencies thought that Iraq had chemical and biological programmes and probably some capacity to use some chemical weapons within Iraq. The continuing failure to find any WMD confirms that they were wrong in that assessment. But there is no doubt that the intelligence was exaggerated for political reasons. This issue is causing enormous controversy in the US and it has been repeatedly made clear by former security services staff in the US and Australia that the intelligence was exaggerated in order to make the case for war.

But behind all this, and the tragedy which befell Dr Kelly, lie the big questions on which the Hutton report does not comment. It is still clear that our Prime Minister committed himself to support a US war in Iraq before the summer of 2002. He therefore lost the leverage that Britain could have exercised to persuade the US that, since there was no imminent threat from Iraq, we should start with implementing the road map to Palestinian statehood. He should also have insisted that we should work through the UN and exhaust all possible means before resorting to war. This was the proud role Britain could have played — acting as a bridge between the US and Europe and helping to end the central cause of division and bitterness in the Middle East.

Instead it remains the case that the Prime Minister promised us that there would be war only if authorised by a second UN resolution. But he had also promised the US we would be with them. When the Security Council would not support war before Hans Blix had completed his work, he excused his failure to keep his promise on the second resolution by misleading us on the French position. In fact, President Chirac said he would veto any resolution at that time, but would support a resolution authorising war if Dr Blix’s efforts failed. Instead we were repeatedly told that the French had said they would veto any second resolution.

On top of all this, the Prime Minister promised a UN mandate for the reconstruction of Iraq. But when the US refused to allow the UN its proper role in bringing into being an interim Iraqi government, the Prime Minister gave in again and thus failed to legitimise and internationalise the reconstruction process.

Lord Hutton’s findings are important. But I fear he may have over-estimated the nobility of style of the No 10 operation under Mr Campbell’s tutelage. However, I have always taken the view that the central issue in relation to Dr Kelly was whether one considers it legitimate to have “outed” him. There are two views. The first is that Dr Kelly was misused and the power of the state abused to counter political embarrassment. But Lord Hutton took the other view, that Mr Gilligan’s insult was so great that it was legitimate to put Dr Kelly into the public domain. It follows therefore that his criticism on this issue would be confined to the lack of support provided to Dr Kelly during this process.

Lord Hutton does not deal with the big question of whether the Prime Minister was less that honest with his country on the road to war. I am afraid it remains my conclusion that through a series of deceits, half truths, and omissions, the Prime Minister got the UK into a war in support of America which has strengthened al-Qaeda, further destabilised the Middle East and increased the suffering of the people of Iraq.

I have no doubt that the Prime Minister thought he was doing the right thing and still thinks he did the right thing by going to war. The question remains whether it is acceptable for a Prime Minister to be economical with the truth when committing the country to war.

Clare Short was International Development Secretary from 1997 to 2003

N.O.R.F   

i dont know what u guys and the media were actually expecting, no surprises to say the least the findings of the Hutton report.

Think about it, Blair and his Govnt were supported by the Queen in the war on Iraq, so did u really think Hutton, who is a Lord ie under the gaze of the Queen to enforce laws sanctioned by the Queen, was going to criticise Blair and the Govnt on the David Kelly situation???

The media hyped it up so much hoping to see the back of Blair ie to sell more papers/exclusives/ etc etc. This was further aided by the new Jewish opposition in the form of Micheal Howard (who will win the next election) and his Tory party who were hoping that Blair's character would be tarnished. But nooooooooo.........

Like Chuck D and Flava Flave used to shout DONT BELIEVE THE HYPE

Blessed   

^^it was the same on the votes to go to war- tehy disagreed than - hey presto Saddam was a threat - he needed to go and Blair was right all along!

But forget that - did you say that Howard is yahuudi :eek: :eek:

Allah ba'ay! That makes Tony look like the old geezah who sits at the park bench.

If he wins, I'm migrating :eek: BUT what makes you think he'll win?

N.O.R.F   

BUT what makes you think he'll win?

Did you know that when Labour came into power it was the lowest turnout since 1923 (or was it 1903)??? :eek:

The otherwise loyal tory voters lost faith with their party and didnt bother voting. There are more tory followers in this country than Labour, it may seem the opposite but it aint.

Now that they have a man and party that they beilieve in again after the shamolics of William Hague and IDS, the surburbanites/rura-ites/librals/jewish groups, will all vote tory.

Who will vote labour u ask??? Who do think? Hardly any votes will come from muslims, anti war ppl, disatisfied OAPs, etc etc. Further poblems with the TUC and loads of strikes aint helping aswell. We are going back to the days of the Tory party, its just a matter of time. By summer 2005 it will be the case. But dont worry nothing will change, same old buracratic system, same old taxes if not more, same old BS at Westminster, same old struggle. I voted green in the last election :D

Blessed   

Who will vote labour u ask??? Who do think? Hardly any votes will come from muslims, anti war ppl, disatisfied OAPs, etc etc. Further poblems with the TUC and loads of strikes aint helping aswell. We are going back to the days of the Tory party, its just a matter of time.

Lol. They've managed to piss off the very ppl that put them in power. I can't say, am disapointed but to be ruled by the Torys- a tory party with a yahuudi leader at that. Thats criminal.

I don't vote - But My hooyo liked Labour!

N.O.R.F   

Having Ruport Murdoch as a freind will also help-Sky, The Sun, News of the World

Together with other like-minded freinds- The Times, The Telegraph, The Mail, ITN,

U heard it here 1st,,,,,,,,,,

don't vote - But My hooyo liked Labour!

lol, snap

Did you know that if you dont vote yr credit rating is affected??? Thats the only reason i vote, with my current credit score i shall do well not to disappear off their records completely,lol, be none existant

Did you know that if you dont vote yr credit rating is affected??? Thats the only reason i vote, with my current credit score i shall do well not to disappear off their records completely,lol, be none existant

i didnt no that bro :confused: , bloody hell i gues voter apathy must be really concerning westminister

N.O.R.F   

That what i'm saying 'know the system'.

When you vote, they have u on record, yr address, etc which comfirms that u live there when yr thinking of purchasing a phone,car,house ect(that awkward moment when they ring up external credit agencies)to get an idea if u can pay yr bills or not. But then this has an effect on yr credit rating, the more yr credit scored, the lower yr credit rating goes (be wary). Its also inportant info for the popo(police) when yr stopped and searched on yr way back from an aroos. Other things include council tax purposes, national insurance num, its all related in this UK system.

Clever ppl these whites i tell ya,,,,,,

AYOUB   

Northerner

dont know what u guys and the media were actually expecting, no surprises to say the least the findings of the Hutton report.

I was expecting a lot actually. :( Why was that old fart asking all those questions if was going to publish a completely biased report? I don't think we've seen the end of this.

Libaax-Sankataabte

fraud. There should be an independent jury investigating this hutton report itself.

Judges with funny handshakes will always clear Blair and co.

Haboon   

Salaam

Blair and his cronies appointed Lord Hutton

So i don't see how we were ever going to find out why Dr Kelly took his own life

Assl All Wr Wb

Well, I guess, and it is only a 'guess', that Hutton had faced the idea of bringing down the current British Admin or blaming the BBC. Faced with that, I am asking you, who would you go for? and this is not an Islamic State where everything is crystal clear. I think the easy option is to blame a corporation rather than a Govt and the geezer did exactly that. Come on!

We know it aint right, but hey, this is De-Mock-Race-y! Western style.

One more thing, we Brit Muslims need to be more clever and broadminded. We dont need to be at the stage of being scared when the word Yuhud is mentioned. We need to vote where we think our interests lie, not for one's race. Remember what happened in US elections of 2000!? Muslims voting for Bush, mostly b/c of that Jew running mate Lieberman and Bush did indeed returned the favour!

P.S. Ameenah, Howard is a Jew and a first generation immigrant, as far as hearsay.

Sophist   

His Honour, Huton, J fulfilled his duties as one of the forceful members of "our" establishment. Lately, this public inquiry bollocks never had negative impact upon government. Remember 1996 Puplic inquiry about Selling weapons to Iraq? what did that Lord did? Though the blood were dripping off the hands of then Primeminster Major, Major scaped unscathed.

These inquires are waste of the tax payers money.

Thus Spake I