Sign in to follow this  
miles-militis

Foreign Troops Request: Right or Not?

Where do you stand on the issue of foreign troops being brought in to disarm

Somalis? Kindly share own [operative] perspectives along with the rationale

on either side of the spectrum. For it. Or Against it.

I for one am torn in-between as I consider the abominable events of the past 14 years whilst at the same time accounting for possible ramifications that might accompany foreign troops in congenial to a fault, chaotic Somalia with my heart skipping a beat at the sound of it.

Esoteric, enigmatic matters in consideration of the latter picking dictates trepidations bordering psychosomatic anxiety in matters such as health related issues primarily HIV/AIDS and STDs to name a few, cultural dilution, and societal ills whilst the prospect of stability, law and order undeniably hinges upon amongst other things the disarmament of militias in the country. In tandem, one longs for the gains of the former, one is found angst of the latter. Dichotomy of sort it is, yet have it so.

Despite the likes of Nuradin Farah's [NPW Somali novelist] stark, less certain objection of foreign troops, Somalia shall remain as it without weapons being removed from the hands of the militias.

Conversely, aside the likes of Abdirazaq H Hussien's [former Somali PM] cautious, if procedural warning which could be construed in favour of foreign troops, certain I am many do fear the abstruse nature of the venture.

Equally troubling is the contemptible inciting by the likes of Sheikh Aways whose judgment and reasoning resembles amnesiac frog at the races on a rainy day.

I am of the believe that Somalis alone could not possibly disarm judging from past attempts, with the exception of course of tribal voluntary disarming as the case have proven in places like Somaliland and Puntland, and would venture so far as to suggest that any such notion is rather naiveté, if not quite beguiled in present day Somalia - chances I trust are not quite so blissful for wholly Somalia.

Yours please?

The disarming of the dreaded Somali militias is our first priority. In a fast pace preferably. I believe the imminence of cultural delution and long term social problems is grossly exaggerated. This matter shouldn't be about wether we do it or not, rather how we plan do it!

I do see your point in regards toi HIV However when we look at the situation realistically the reason thet the carta administration failed is because it did not have the capabiluty to disarm the malitia and had to resort to begging one warlord to after the other

is that what we want? a government that can't assert it's authority that can't gurantee the safety of the people, tha't cant implement the mandate it was given?.

I hope not because if that is what you want then we are obviously headed for another doomed government,lawlesness and more murders of our innocent people.

There is no national army at the moment to sort out this malitias out we need the foreign troops in order to impose the will of the people upon the mayhem seekers,blood suckers who have been bullying,robbing,murdering our innocent civilians for the past 14 yrs.I am not saying that he should wage war left right and centre what i am saying is that he should give diplomacy every conceivable chance,but if that fails and that particular warlord refuses to listen to reason and instead of manifesting his political stand via legal political movements,chooses instead to do so via violent means then he should be given some serious *** whipping!.we cant put on hold the lives of more than 15million somalis just so a couple of warlords should feel important.THE NEED OF THE MANY OUTWAY THE NEED OF THE FEW.(especially if the few are trying to hold the many hostages by violent means).Incidently all of the foreign soldiers coming to Somalia are going to be screened for HIV by the WHO

Gabbal   

A request for foreign troops is indeed wrong and counter-productive. Most Somali militias are armed to protect their interests and their clan's interests.

At this point in juncture Abdulahi Yusuf is seen as representing qabiil and not qaran. He has to establish himself, whatever his past was, as man fighting and working for the common good and interest of the common people.

After he gains the trust of the population, I think he should call for troops to help Somalis disarm.

Jumatatu   

ok..! This question of disarmament and foreign troops has been going around in circles, and at time we are debating and coming up with solution as if we have no idea of how this militias in Somalia are armed and grouped. It is like as if the question and argument is making rounds in foreign group discussion but we are not. So lets stop beating about the bush talk as Somalis affected by the problem.

For those of you who have no idea where Somalia then you are forgiven. But the question is simple, the armed militias in Somalia are grouped in clan structure and their leaders are all, and I repeat all, members of the new parliament of Somalia. Now tell me how best to disarm them.

Baashi   

^ what you think? share ur thoughts with us Jumatatu.

Samurai Warrior,

I’m against the proposition to use foreign muscle in order to stabilize Somalia. Here is the rationale for my opposition.

1. No one (known warlords) has so far refused publicly to work with the new government except the government of Somaliland.

2. The president has not completed the process of nominating the PM and the cabinet. He has no executive department! Yet, he’s asking foreign troops answerable only to him without the approval of the parliament and without the consultation of the key players of the new government.

3. Asking publicly foreign troops without parliament approval (here, he is undercutting the deliberative process), creates suspicion and deepens the conflict. This time, the militia (poor folks will be rallied under the banner of Islam and nationalism) will have ideological basis for the upcoming fight. He’s giving present to his foes.

He is putting the cart before the horse! Why would he put his cards on the table? What if after alienating the key players, troops don’t even come for some odd reason. What if after creating deep suspicions among the warring functions, foreign troops come after a year? What if Ethiopians are part of the AU led troops?

I can see the dilemma he’s faced with which is basically put his fate on the hands of Mogadishu’s warlord or give his foes considerable concessions like nominating, on merit, able PM (from Mogadishu) empowered with all the necessary tools to do what he has to do in order to stabilize Mogadishu and its environs. What that means is give up power and become a ceremonial president. Or keep this awesome power and play hardball with them despite the far-reaching consequences it will have on us and the generations to come.

I think the call for foriegn troops is premature. Yeey should first name his prime minister, who should in turn set up the cabinet. Disarment would be most difficult in Xamar. He can start with mogadisho by appointing warlords in mogadisho.He already stated warlords would be rawarded with ministerial posts. The likes of Aydiid, Qanyare, and Dheere would be willing to settle for ministerial positions, and I believe might just agree to dismantle their forces. The business community will also be willing to give up arms if they have state proctection looking after their interests. The Islamic court, Sudi, and Cato might spoil things.

For Yeey to succeed, he needs to engage everyone, and point out spoilers. He needs to respect the rule of law, and he needs to prove to Somali people as he is worth support. N finally he needs to remember he is appointed president of Somalia not Puntland. So, no one man show. Foriegn troops should only be brought in to Somalia to train Somali Armed Forces.

If Xamar is taken care of, disarming rest of Somalia would be easier.

NGONGE   

The whole idea of foreign troops seems like a very daft and simplistic move. The new president of Somalia has been called many things in the past but brainless he’s not.

This, I suspect, is nothing more than gesture politics. He make his intention to request foreign troops public (without consulting the parliament), people get up in arms about the whole thing. He insists, they insist. He finally agrees to concede a point here and a point there all the while gaining ground he didn’t have to start with!

This whole argument could actually make his presidency. Now, it all depends on the reactions of the various warlords and how they’re going to act on these reactions. He has fired the first political bullet and flexed his presidential muscles (and we’re all impressed, scared or slightly worried). One thing is for sure; nobody is under any illusions now as to the authority of this president. Mission accomplished I suppose.

I don’t believe any foreign troops will set foot in Somali soil any time soon.

Jumatatu   

Walle waxba salagle..! Bashi maxaad tiiri?

The president has not completed the process of nominating the PM and the cabinet. He has no executive department! Yet, he’s asking foreign troops answerable only to him without the approval of the parliament and without the consultation of the key players of the new government.

true very true..ahey..!

He is putting the cart before the horse! Why would he put his cards on the table? What if after alienating the key players, troops don’t even come for some odd reason.

This has already happened and people who so willingly voted for him are taken back by his immidiate stance and uncompromising call for foreugn troops.

What that means is give up power and become a ceremonial president.

This is exactly what he should be according to the charter, 'ceremonial president...but he has decided to..

keep this awesome power and play hardball with them despite the far-reaching consequences it will have on us and the generations to come

An apparent proof of this is his immidiate call for troops without even first naming his PM, who in turn should map out the policy of reconciliation and naming the cabinet. Trust me C/llahi has already named cabinet ministers, and it is not his job description to do so.

As for my thoughts for disarmament Bashi, I have said time and time again. It should be done through parliament which constitutes of the warlords who are leaders of the armed militia. If they have the initiave and plan this mutually they can come up with something.

Rokko – why so my dear?

Femme Fatale – (would not want to run into you in an unlit alley with a name like that – joke!) how about the repercussions, expressed or otherwise me lady?

Orgilaqe – So in your case, security needs override all others. And if need be, use of force is permissible even if all out war so long as it could be sustained. Would I be correct in making that assumption?

hornAfrik – why do you think it is wrong and unproductive? And despite the age-old presumption that he is seen as representing “qabiil†rather than “qaranâ€, are you of the mindset to have the troops (sometime in the distant future), but also against it to protect clan interest?

Baashi – I thank you for your well-thought reasoning albeit you seem preoccupied with the process of tabling the request rather than the issue in itself. Would your line of reasoning be the same should an appointed PM were to put the request for foreign troops forth?

Che-Guevara – How do you propose disarmament be approached without foreign troops?

Cheers.

Femme Fatale – (would not want to run into you in an unlit alley with a name like that – joke!) how about the repercussions, expressed or otherwise me lady?

You better be scared :D . Depends on how you interpret it ;)

According to estimations, there could be well over 5 million small arms circulating currently in the Horn of Africa

Today, Hargeisa in Somaliland boasts a flourishing arms market. Burao is an open arms market where one can find the latest small arms on open display and at an affordable price.

Somalia today in all its entities is the "Mecca" of small arms in the region. All sorts of criminals obtain their rifles or handguns from there. The abundance of weapons such as the military type AK47, M14 and M16, G3 and the UZI has changed the dynamics of conflict and criminal activities in the sub region

Im wary of the thousands and thousands of young boys and men who have easy access to a huge collection of weapons. There exists a tempation to end all conflicts whether big or small, potential or not, with violence...and Im very concerned. What has somalia done so far to deal with the problem itself? Its just sleeping while the country slowly destroys itself. So I think they should let in foregin troops...but of course they have to be under a watchful eye and not be allowed to run free and make their own decisions. I think anything would be good to control the weapons flow and available...and to unarm these irrational, tempermental delutional warlords and thier like.

I wouldnt know what the repercusions would be...Maybe Im burying my head in the sand...but It feels sooooooooooo comfortable icon_razz.gif

I knew I shouldve keep my foot out of the politics forum....

Gabbal   

hornAfrik – why do you think it is wrong and unproductive? And despite the age-old presumption that he is seen as representing “qabiil†rather than “qaranâ€, are you of the mindset to have the troops (sometime in the distant future), but also against it to protect clan interest?

I think it is wrong because it is like eating the candy without taking or even trying to take the wrapper off.

Abdulahi Yusuf needs to appeal to the Somali people (especially in Xamar), he needs to tell them what his position is and actually try to implement that position and show that he is fair and balanced, objective and non-partisan.

You corner a cat and the cat pounces. That is what Abdulahi Yusuf is doing. If he brings in foreign troops (especially his trusty allies ;) ) then he is aiming to corner the Somali people which, I assure you, will result in a pounce!

Whatever his past was, it is not relevant now because Somalia is stuck with the Colonel. Abdulahi Yusuf needs to do a concerted effort to win the hearts and minds of the people.

Only then will they trust him enough to disarm and risk being vulnerable.

Bakar   

WRONG!!

If you don’t mind me asking, could kindly explain what you mean foreign troops. Do you have specific one in mind? As one poster said, the first phase is building trust and confidence b/n the stale mates. Don’t you think that this move by Yusuf is reminiscent of what happened post civil war when US and other international communities arrived the soil as peacekeepers?