Sign in to follow this  
Suldaanka

AU takes a favourable stand on Somaliland issue

Castro   

^ That's the mature approach we should all take. Anything else is really counterproductive and infantile. Well said Geel-Jire.

Baashi   

Not that easy.

Bribed AU fat cats' report on the fate of an independent and soveiregn state (in great difficult at the moment) is useless.

Dismembering Somalia is not a solution to the current problems facing the country. If AU wants to help, and I doubt if they can, they could put some measured pressure on Ethiopia to stop meddling the country's affairs.

I can see why this report might give hope to the secessionist "dead enders" :D like ahem some of my friends who congregate in this beloved corner.

Hargeisa will be part and parcel of Somalia and great Baashi will move to the city making it one of his summer homes...the other summer get aways as you might've guessed include CeeriGaabo and Kismayo.

Muqdishu is of course the permanent seat of Baashi's family. Why limit yourself in one corner when you can have it all...sky is the limit when it comes to the nomadland.

icon_razz.gif

Calm down now...easy boys. Aight :D

Castro   

^ While you're watching from the comfort of your couch in the West, Somalia will be sliced up like a medium vegie pizza. Or it could become one and strong again. Either way, you're gonna be in the West for good.

Baashi   

^ :D Says who comrade Castro?

I gave u 10 points on that one.

As much as my weeping, grief-stricken, and Queens' orphan Tolstoy :D likes to revive the old and now defunct British Protectorate, Somalia won't be dismembered not because its sons have the power, wisdom, or the forthsight to preserve its territorial integrity but the regional rivalry of Egypt and Ethiopia will save the union (irony of all ironies).

The same rivalry between the two will also prolong Somalia's misery. Secessionists just don't have the case as well as the political intrigue and calculation to figure out how to deal with Puntland challenge on the one hand, and more importantly the Muqdishu's insistence on accepting a power-sharing scheme that suits them and federal arrangement system where the Northwest can have regional autonomy.

One fact that is there for all to see is if Somalia somehow gets dismembered Somaliland too will have to accept the same solution to the Puntland "problem" and where do you start the process of border demarcation. It is not easy to solve these challenging problems as some would like to believe.

My friends are jut too loud and naive. Couple of inlaws' effort and writings are making rounds in the secessionist circles and have been presented as diplomatic progress. Give me a break! Who are we kidding fellas.

I'm expecting about ten pages of Tolstoy lesson on definition of the state, nation-state, and other bookish crap :D Waa daalinayaa miskiinka.

Waryee ha dhex fariisan dee boowe waxu waa kaftan dhable :D

Baashi maxaad dhib u aloostaa, waalow.

It is obvious that some of our northern brothers are divisionists, but hey, we (the pan-somalists) have to give credit where it is due. The waqooyi admin have done a good job in getting the place in good functioning order, more than you can say for the damn so-called south (i prefer the rest of somalia), there are however few exceptions.

Truth be said, whatever the AU says or does is not gonna make much difference on the truth on the ground, agree with you, Oday. I still believe one-ness of our beloved land and that would continue to be the case, God willing. But our brothers need recognition for a job well done and them running their business without the involvement of the rest. But I still object to two different lands. I don't even want to entertain the thought of applying for a visa to visit Hargeisa! My Allah, NO!

United we stand as somalis, Divided we vanish.

Castro   

Originally posted by Baashi:

My friends are jut too loud and naive. Couple of inlaws' effort and writings are making rounds in the secessionist circles and have been presented as diplomatic progress. Give me a break! Who are we kidding fellas.

Fair enough. Won't you then harness this energy of yours in getting rid of the rubbish that's going on in the South so that it may be presented as a half decent bride for the groom in the North? The guy has been working hard and saving his money for a long time but the thought of a reunion is repugnant at the moment seeing how this bride has not showered in 15 years. What say you atheer?

Is it not disingenuous on the one hand to resist the secession (for purely emotional reasons) and on the other to watch the madness in the South as if it were a horror show on TV?

Baashi   

First to Camel Boy. Well my man Geel-Jire let's give Castro a recognition medal :D The man has been providing shelter and sustinence to his wife and young guns since he tied the knot. Maxaa ii keentay! What a yardstick to have! After all my comrade Castro have a decent job and makes decent money and that didn't come about without effrot and hard work from his part. I hope you see where I'm going with this.

You said the Northwest got its act together and worked hard to manage a relitively peaceful existence and relatively decent governence. So is Puntland. Should we let Puntland secede? With all due respect bro you are not making any sense here.

I have read the World bank's assessment of both Puntland and Somaliland as well as Dr. Culusow's follow up comment. As you might remember Dr. Culusow represent the TFG before the strong man sacked him. The good and decent folks of Northwest were given an opportunity to make an arrangement for public-private joint venture as well as direct micro-loans to the folks who have enough to jump start a business of their own. Absence of recognition doesn't prevent international bodies to lend a helping hand to the people of Northwest. They just don't like the label "recovery zone" for political reasons.

As to Castro' childish bubble (sorry buddy I gott call it as it is) and his groom-bride analogy...well there are some folks who would argue (with ample evidence) that the secessionists wanted to secede way before Somalia descended to anarchy. One has to see through the smokescreen and realize for once that the hardcore secessionists are very ambitious folks with clannish outlook and feel that their clans were dubed into unfair post-colonial power structure of Somalia that once existed. And their ambitions cannot be realized with current tribal matrix for they are a minority.

With former government's blunder in handling the SNM challenge and wiping out the whole clan, the secessionist have a recent history to exploit. Given this fact, it is understandable that the good folks and lay people of that corner are giving the benefit of doubt to their leaders never=ending promise that they will have their own corner where they are majority pretty soon. Now colonial card is very useful, but shameful, one to play.

Yes some parts of that corner has peace and good governance. And yes there are other parts of Somalia that are relatively peaceful. The only difference bnetween Burco and Las Ano that I can think of is that one wants to secede and the other don't want to go down that route. That is it.

By the way, Castro you are giving me too much credit. Do you really think the energy you and I spent on this corner, if spent on the South, can give Somalia its former glory back? Well if the post count is something to go by war heedhe xaafadaa waad hagratay walle icon_razz.gif

War reer Burcoow ha i shiidinina waxu waa kaftan dhablee :D

Castro   

^ Call it what you want. When you finally emerge from your nostalgia-induced coma, you'll see that Somalia will be in pieces. And if Puntland has any sense, it will have seceded as well.

Castro   

^ Fair enough. Though it's worth noting my family has a lot invested in pan-Somalism. I'm afraid our efforts are in vain though. Sad, yes, but true.

Baashi   

Sxb we're on the same page here. Somalia is a broken glass and it will take manly men to put it back...there will be folks who would simply say the glass is broken but want inay kala firdhiyaan and tell us that is a solution. In my opinion that is not a solution.

Awoowe waa ra'yi.

^Oday, point taken. And I was never one for the dismantling of Somalia, but the point is as you said, the north (plus other few) have made progress in maintaining law, order and progress. So, let me drill this to your ears one more time, it is the progress that I was supporting, but not the seccession.

Soomaaliya ha noolaato!

Soomaaliya ha is raacdo!

Dib u socodku ha dhamaado!

Jaalleyaal, nabad gelyo

Taleexi   

The sort of peace, self-governing, serenity achieved by Hargeisa administration thus far are not in question in my opinion because they are something that the deaf can hear and the blind can see but what is beyond imagination is what kind of benefit expected from this fruitless, elusive recognition, heavily invested with human life and material wealth

Jacpher   

I second that Camel boy. The progress of peace and stability deserve commendation, not segmentation of the land.

Baashoow, those you refer as hardcore secessionists are diehard fans of Ethiopia and would pretty much favor joining Ethiopia than the so-called south. Why not let them have their piece of the cake, not the whole slice just a piece, since they’re suffering of incurable illness.