Sign in to follow this  
Jacaylbaro

Live From Hargeisa

Woke up early in the morning, pick up my camera and went going around the city to check out the voting process.

Huge turn out to vote. So far so good.

Security is extremely tight as police are petrolling the city which only authorized cars are moving around.

YOu can see people's faces as they are smiling and happy to cast their vote for the one they choose for themwselves.

Around 70 international observes are also going to all the regions to observe the elections.

ANTARA   

Keep the news coming JB. It is a shame some of us can't vote but the feeling is nonetheless euphoric.

If you are like me in ecstatic mood than here is something to listen to

Latest news

The New York Times Rare Haven of Stability in Somalia Faces a Test

AFP

The self-proclaimed state of Somaliland closed its borders on Saturday as voters chose their president amid fears Islamists from neighbouring Somalia could try to disrupt the polls.

The northern territory has been more stable than Somalia since it broke away in 1991 but a message warning voters to stay home by the leader of the al-Qaeda-inspired Shebab movement led to draconian security measures.

"All our country's forces are locking the borders. Movements and transport inside Somaliland are also forbidden except for those authorised by the national election commission (NEC)," police chief Mohamed Saqadi Dubad said.

Somaliland, which is more tribally homogenous than the rest of Somalia, has been striving to attain international recognition for almost two decades and many voters saw the election as a fresh opportunity to demonstrate their aspiring state's democratic credentials.

In the capital Hargeisa, queues started forming in the middle of the night, hours before polling stations opened.

"I will travel to my polling station now and sleep there," said Ismail Maalin Mohamoud, a tailor, as he prepared to set off late Friday.

"I want to vote for Kulmiye," he said.

Kulmiye, which won the largest number of seats in the latest parliamentary elections, is the party of Ahmed Mohamed Silaanyo, seen as President Dahir Riyale Kahin's main rival in Saturday's poll.

The Justice and Welfare party is the country's third parliamentary force and its leader Faisal Ali Warabe the other top contestant.

Earlier this week, overall Shebab leader Ahmed Abdi Godane, a native of Somaliland, issued an audio message warning the breakaway state's population that they would "face the consequences" if they cast their ballot.

"Do we say yes to Allah and accept his ruling or follow the infidels who want to lead us in the path of the evil?", Godane said.

Somaliland has strong ties with Shebab arch-foe Ethiopia.

End of the voting.

Now that the election has been done successfully, let's see the results.

People are celebrating the success of the voting process from 6am to 6pm today.

Under the eyes of the terrorists, haters, tribalists, anarchists, Arabs and others, Somaliland people have now managed to cast their votes and make a history as usual.

I'm now going around the city and the only thing i can see is people congratulating each other, giving hugs and smiling of their success.

Saalax   

JB, but there is a problem in burco with heavy rains, i am assuming they will get extra time?

War Deg-Deg ah: Roobab Xanibay Codbixintii Doorashada Ka Socotay Magaalada Burco

Burco(OWN)- Roobab mahiigaana ayaa goor dhaweyd ka bilaabmay magaalada Burco oo xanibay guud ahaanba goobihii ay ka socotay codbixinta doorashada madaxtinimada taas oo ilaa saaka ka socotay gobolada dalkani Jamhuuriyada Somaliland ka koobanyahay.

Roobabkani ayaa guud ahaanba kala eryey codbixiyayashii u taagnaa inay si nabadgalyo u dhiibtaan coddadkooda waxaana ilaa iminka haawanaya goobahii ay codbixintu ka socotay taas oo dadweynihii ay isaga yaaceen roobkan da,ya oo xoog badan awgii.

geesta kale ciidamada amaanka ayaa iyagu si weyn u sugaya amaanka guud taas oo lagu arkaayao iayada oo ay askartu qoryaha la hortaaganyihiin goobaha ay ka socdo hawalaha codbixintu una diyaara inay ka hortagaan cid alaale iyo cidii isku dayda inay rabash geliso hawlahan doorashada.

waxaan weli laga garanayn goaanka ay soo saari doonaan koomiishanka door4ashoyinka qaranku ee ku aadan in waqti dheeraada lagu darayo magaalada burco oo hawlihii codka uu xiligan xanibay roobkani ka daya.

Maxamed Cawed Maxamed

Oodweyne News/Burco Office

Thankful   

Originally posted by Jacaylbaro:

End of the voting.

Under the eyes of the terrorists, haters, tribalists, anarchists, Arabs and others, Somaliland people have now managed to cast their votes and make a history as usual.

What does Arab's have to do with this? Because they wont recognize you, just like every other country in the world, including Ethiopia?

We always make a history bro ..... who thought those shoeless skinnies will defeat Siad Barre ?

who thought those people will declare their independence ?

who thought Somalilanders will manage to form a democratic government with all the structures ?

who thought we will transfer power when President Egal died ?

who thought we will have other elections ??

who thought we would have a peaceful elections today ??

Still something to do but so far so good.

Thankful   

Ok, why did you include Arab's in your list? The rest of the list included "terrorists, haters, tribalists, anarchists,???" Are Arabs at the same level as the criminals you mentioned in the list?

Originally posted by Archdemos:

JB, post some of your pictures brother, give us the street level view from these elections.

anything but udub
:D

For the moment, THIS is enough as i'm too busy to upload any pictures from my camera. It is almost as same as those in the link.

Thankful   

Thanks! That's all I wanted to know, I didnt expect JB to be able to explain anything. I agree that their are many in the Arab League and even the African Union who are strongly against any breaking up of nations, as they fear the precedent it may create. I just didn't think Arabs should be in the same list as Anarchists and Terrorists. Maybe he should have been more specific and said Arab League!