Sign in to follow this  
Taako Man

I remember SNM's crimes against my people !

roobleh   

This notion of Somaliland declaring independence is something I thought hard on and attempted to rationalize , but it really does not make any sense.

xiin, you do not need to waste your time to think about why Somalilanders want to secede. This was an issue that cencerned only the people who reside in Somaliland. Once all representatives of different clans gathered in Burco, it was the right decision and an easy one to make. Since then, Somaliland people are enjoying the fruits of their hard-worn peace, competing each other for getting ahead fairly, and joining political parties. In contrast, Somali children are dying from strayed bullets, women are being raped, and innocent people being killed for belonging to the wrong clan if not for their cell phones.

Don't you guys see such obvious contrasts between the two. Somaliland would not Join Somalia cuz it would be a politically suicidal. But I hope you guys will soon see the light!

you keep editing eh to throw me off.

Have confidence in what you write saaxib.

Because you deleted your reply and edited, I shall mind as well to be fair

I simply included another quote of yours to my post.

Originally posted by roobleh:

quote:

This notion of Somaliland declaring independence is something I thought hard on and attempted to rationalize , but it really does not make any sense.

xiin, you do not need to waste your time to think about why Somalilanders want to secede. This was an issue that cencerned only the people who reside in Somaliland. Once all representatives of different clans gathered in Burco, it was the right decision and an easy one to make. Since then, Somaliland people are enjoying the fruits of their hard-worn peace, competing each other for getting ahead fairly, and joining political parties. In contrast, Somali children are dying from strayed bullets, women are being raped, and innocent people being killed for belonging to the wrong clan if not for their cell phones.

Don't you guys see such obvious contrasts between the two. Somaliland would not Join Somalia cuz it would be a politically suicidal. But I hope you guys will soon see the light!
^^lol.

You do indeed have a funny style of presenting your argument! What makes you think that I don’t have a vested interest in Somaliland’s fate? And are you not hasty to assign the burden of caring, if not attempting to solve, about the harsh consequences of calamities exacted on the innocent masses in the south to us yaa Roobka?

Let me be generous and give you an honest advice: instead of fishing for snippets of my vast argument, and throwing selective quotes from my write up here and there, try, as hard as it may be, to put together a cohesive and presentable argument as to why, short of colonial legacy, Somaliland, and not any other region in Somalia, should secede!

As always, I give you the last word!

Elysian   

lol... just getting started you say. You really think you'll convince Centurion, xiin and the others? Why not just be honest and say their arguments are legitimate, but not convincing enough for a united Somalia?

roobleh   

Because 97% of Somaliland people voted for secession.

Brother xiin, if that is not enough, I don't know what else more grander than this you want to hear.

edit: That was way short off the mark yaa Roobka! The Kikuyes of Elderot could present a better case than yours to secede from Kenya.

Originally posted by Elysian:

lol... just getting started you say. You really think you'll convince Centurion, xiin and the others? Why not just be honest and say their arguments are legitimate, but
not convincing enough for a united Somalia
?

^^You got it wrong yaa Elysian. In the eyes of the world somalia is a failed state but still territorially intact. So the case for united Somalia has been presented back in 1960’s, and needs not be repeated. What I was trying to extract from these secessionist cyber squads is what is it that makes certain clans in former British Somaliland an independent nation. They have failed to do so, and danced around the query I sent.

Why don’t you try it then?

RedSea   

Originally posted by Elysian:

lol... just getting started you say. You really think you'll convince Centurion, xiin and the others? Why not just be honest and say their arguments are legitimate, but not convincing enough for a united Somalia?

I do not expect to convince anyone. However one doesnt have the choice but to be convice when a whole population decide they want to try their own seperate life style.

Convincing enough or otherwise, that is hard reality that one should except.

BTW.....I do respect their political stance.

RedSea   

Xiin,

looooool....saaxib no one is dancing around anything. The anwer is PEOPLE' CHOICE. What do you have to say about that?

me   

This is no fun at all, its like shooting lame ducks. i don't know where to start and which leg I should pull underneath you. Let me just pick few interesting ones.

Originally posted by Mj. bada Cas:

[QB] There was no somali nation under the colonial powers, however when they left they did grant Somaliland a nationhood status which was recognised by more than 30 countries.

What 30 countries have 'recognized' Somaliland? please list those countries names. Are you refering to countries that sent congratulary letters? Is that recognition in your eyes?

British Somaliland and Italian Somaliland were preparing thmeselves for a union when those congratulary letters were coming in. In the 4 days between the independance of British Somaliland and the union with Italian Somaliland, British Somaliland never functioned as an Independant government so there has never been a Somaliland government. But thats all academic now, Somliland will not be recognized untill Somalia proper gives the fiat for its independance and it doesn't look like thats gonna happen any time in the near future.

Problem nr. 2 the people who live in the borders of 'British Somaliland' ( I don't even recognize the British colonialization of North-central-Somalia) Don't agree with the secession, a large portion of the Northern population are againt the secession and are willing to fight for the union. See with your own eyes.

Problem nr. 3 The clan that inhabits Laas Caanood never signed a protection treaty with the British so they never were a part of 'British Somaliland' and their lands are sovergn, they have also had their own recognized state state the Darwiish state which has resisted the colonial expansion of their lands, their lands were briefly occupied by the British , but they were never colonized.

Somaliland was always resided by the majority of one tribe. However as a result of '77 war displacement the city of Hargeysa saw many somali migrants from Somali galbeed who settled there. Other than the city had always been a city dominated by one tribe, though even today there are large group of people from all areas of Somaliland who reside there, yet they are with the cause of Somaliland.

Majority maybe, but never exclusively, I think that my families history pre-dates yours in Hargeysa, so that gives me more rights ...I was there first :D

There is no case for Somaliland other then we want to and who is going to stop us.

So here I say it, we will stop you, Somalia proper will never recognize Somaliland and even if the world recognizes it it will be war and try winning that.

I do not believe in reasoning with the secessionists, because there is nothing to reason about, and even if there was they don't get it, I know how they work, first you beat them then you negotiate with them on your own terms.

Elysian   

Xiin, I don't have any other arguments than what has been said many many times, and I don't think repeating them again will do any good.

However, let me put it this way, you are right, the arguments for a greater Somalia are valid and that's why it was formed in the 60s. But how long did it last? How long did the people of Somalia feel united, where they ever patriotic or was their loyalty clan based... was there ever a "somaalinimo" transgressing qabiilnimo?

The arguments for a united Somalia today are still the same, but history has taught us otherwise, and reer Somaliland are acting according to their experience... Is it really that difficult to understand (not saying you have to agree)?

me   

I do not expect to convince anyone. However one doesnt have the choice but to be convice when a whole population decide they want to try their own seperate life style.

Hold up, you don't want to convince me? because if you don't convince me it means two things, 1. War, 2 you abbandon this project, the choice is yours.

And who is this whole population that you are talking about? What whole population wants to seccede? because not all northerners want to seccede. I for one don't want to seccede from the Somali republic, so i ask you since you don't want to convince me, and I don't belong in your whole population, then what?

Ethnic cleanse me? imprison me? maybe kill me? what then? What do you suggest for those who are against the seccesionist project?

Xiin,

looooool....saaxib no one is dancing around anything. The anwer is PEOPLE' CHOICE. What do you have to say about that?

^^ :D:D

Which people? poeple of Burco,Hargeysa, Berbera or the ones of Laasqorey, Laascanood, Buuhoodle?

Boorama and Ceerigaabo people are pragmatic adeer and they would alwasy survey the horizan before they decide so dont take thier tacit support as though they are squerly behind this push! It's a draw adeer! Bal ka tali..

ps--Ilaa shalay horta maxaan idiin saaranahay :D ? i know good Me wants me to carry on..