Sign in to follow this  
Juje

Beshenivsky suspect arrested in Somalia

Juje   

jama_228428a.jpg

From Times OnlineNovember 1, 2007

Beshenivsky suspect arrested in Somalia

A two-year international hunt for a man suspected of shooting dead Pc Sharon Beshenivsky ended today when Mustaf Jama was extradited to the UK from Somalia.

Mr Jama was reported to have fled the country disguised beneath a veil soon after the police officer was shot dead. His photograph had been circulated to every police force, port and airport but it was alleged he snuck onto a plane at Heathrow dressed in a niqab.

Pc Beshenivsky, 38, was killed as she arrived at the scene of a robbery at the Universal Express travel agency in Bradford in November 2005.

Her colleague, Pc Teresa Milburn, was also shot in the street as the robbers escaped with little more than £5,000.

Yusuf Jama, Mustaf’s brother, was found guilty of the murder. Three other members of the gang were convicted for their part in the botched robbery, but police continued to track Mr Jama who they believed was involved in the shooting.

He first arrived in Britain in 2000 and was granted indefinite leave to remain after making an application for asylum, claiming that Somalia was too dangerous for him to live in.

Police announced today that he had been arrested in Somalia and extradited to the UK. He was being transferred to a West Yorkshire police station this evening.

Pc Beshenivsky was shot on November 18, 2005 on her youngest daughter’s fourth birthday. She had three children and two stepchildren, aged between five and 16.

The former childminder had trained to become a policewoman in her home city of Bradford and had been a serving officer for just nine months when she was gunned down.

Yusuf Jama, was ordered to serve a minimum of 35 years for his part in the robbery and murder.

Faisal Razzaq was also given a life sentence and told he must serve at least 11 years when he was found guilty of manslaughter, robbery and firearms offences.

His brother, Hassan, was later jailed for 20 years for the manslaughter of the police officer. He was also found guilty of robbery and firearms offences.

Earlier this year, Raza ul Haq Aslam was jailed for eight years for taking part in the robbery, he had acted as a look-out during the fatal raid.

Since when did we have a repatriation treaty with the UK government?

Paragon   

^^It is a rendition treaty more like. It has been put in place by the US and its minions' so-called war-on-terror. Even if there was no rendition or repatriation treaty, I wouldn't see how difficult it would be for the United Kingdom to do what they just did; to fly in and collect. Even prior to the Ethiopian presence, all it would have taken the UK to get their suspects was to give a pence or two to a local warlord, who would obediently handover anyone for money even if it were his own mother.

Now that Ethiopia is present in Somalia, I wouldn't be surprised if the US and the UK built torture chambers in Somalia to interrogate suspected terrorists.

Gediid   

^^^BULLSH!D , it has nuthin to do with that.The idioot shot another human being but I guess that does not bother you so long as you get a few cheap shots at your "opponents".This idioot meel kasta oo tago waa xaq in la soo celiyo to do the time for his heinous crime.

Fabregas   

yep, its easy to caught even Somalia. All they have to is find out your tribe and then contact the local warlord...then bam boom while your tending to your Camels....

Fabregas   

quote:There is no extradition treaty between the war-torn African state, led by President Abdullahi Yusuf, and the UK.

But Foreign Office officials drew up a special “memorandum of understanding” so that when Jama was found he could be sent back to Britain.

Somali authorities had been keeping watch for some months on a village in the north and swooped this week after positively identifying Jama.

Do "memorandums of understanding" apply yo asylum seekers who are not British citizens?

Abwaan   

Originally posted by Northerner:

I just hope he is not a Burcaawi!

lol...Burcaawi maxaa ka waddaa? You mean inuu Burco ka yimid? Maxay kaga duwan tahay hadduu meel kale oo Soomaaliya ah ka yimid?

Abwaan   

I think whoever committed a crime should face justice and he is no diferrent. I am also worried about saamaynta ay arrintaani ku yeelan doono Soomaaliya gudaheeda waayo sida hadda aan maqlay waxaan ninkan laga soo qabtay Gaalkacyo haddii ay arrintaasi run noqoto waxaan ka baqayaa inay dhici karto in la arko reer miyi isku laynaya ninkeennii baa cid hebla gaalo gacanta u gelisey, waa Soomaali iyo caadadeede.

Som@li   

He was handed over by the TFG, I wonder how much they will get for his head? Will UK extradite some of the criminals who run away from Somalia, and happily living there?

Abwaan   

Originally posted by Dabshid:

Will UK extradite some of the criminals who run away from Somalia, and happily living there?

looooooooool...........Waa su'aal fiican, laakiin ninyahow ma cid ka soo daba dacwootey ayaa jirta?

UK waxaa ka buuxa many criminals Soomaaliya ka soo cararay runtii waan kugu raacsanahay.

NGONGE   

To loud cheers and applause outside Villa Somalia, President Yusuf started his impromptu speech with the words "Mustafa Jama waa la qabtay"! He went on to extol the virtues and abilities of the Somali Police Force and to remind the public of the hard work and effort of his government. He said:

"We are heading in the right direction and are slowly but surely bringing our beloved country back on her feet. Today, and with the arrest of bandit Jama, we have finally turned a corner and proved to the world that Somalis can (and do) play their active part in international relations. We have shown them that we do not tolerate criminals of any kind hiding in our blessed land. This is why we promptly removed the terrorists from our midst last December and are still eradicating all other warlords, terrorists and criminals from our towns and cities. This is also to show you, the people, that we mean business and will not stand for any criminals ruining our peace and running amok in our cities.

Today is a great day. Jama has been arrested and two nations can finally sleep easy."

In a telephone conversation from Asmara with several news organisations, Sh. Sharif Sh. Ahmed said the following:

" We understand that the prayers of the British Officer's family has been answered and that Jama the criminal has been arrested (may Allah forgive him). Not surprisingly, we also hear that the people that allowed our beloved Somali soil to be defiled and tainted with Ethiopian boots, are claiming that THEY are the ones that caught Jama!

I would like to make it clear that WE, the resistance army are the ones that caught Jama. After all, our record speaks for itself; have we not pacified all of Somalia in our time in power? Have we not been fair and just with all we met with and in all our dealings? Unlike those TFG traitors, we have not embraced the enemy. We also have not shook hands with killers, murderers and warlords. When we ruled Somalia, we tried to clear it of all criminals and unruly individuals. And even now, we are still ridding the country of such individuals. I am speaking to you all to confirm that it were us (the resistance) who arrested bandit Jama and sent him back to the UK to meet his fate. We hereby warn all potential Diaspora criminals: DO NOT come back home with blood on your hands for, just like we aim to do with the filthy Ethiopians, we are going to send you back with your tails between your legs. You have been warned. Allah is great."

In a speech to the Somaliland parliament, president D. Riyaale, had the following words to say:

Gentlemen, we have arrested Jama! After months of investigation, search and systematic enquiry we have finally uncovered the bandit in Burco city but he fled to LA! This, gentlemen, is the main reason for the recent offensive on LA. We have allowed that place to decay with the criminals of Puntland, but to also have bandit Jama adding his considerable criminal abilities to that filthy mix were too much for us.

As you all know, we have an understanding with the British Government to exchange ideas, expertise and to cooperate in criminal matters. We caught Jama and we shall pass him on to the Brits. All the signs show that they will gladly take him of our hand. This, gentlemen, is recognition of sorts. WE are indeed moving in the right direction. Soon, all our hard work and effort will bear fruits and we shall rid ourselves of the stench of old Somalia.

Did you hear the TFG and the ICU both claiming that it was they who arrested Jama? I just hope that none of you chocked on their khat as you chuckled away at the temerity of that deluded lot! I ask you, people, hmm hmm, I ask you! When was the last time the TFG extradited any criminals to any other country in the world? Did the ICU terrorist extradite anyone (apart from themselves)? Indeed not. But our extradition record speaks for itself and cannot be denied. Bandit Jama is not the first and will not be the last.

Now let us move to the second item on our agenda, the postponement of the forthcoming elections....."

The president of Puntland ridiculed the claims of the other groups when he gave a very short speech to his local media:

" Yes. I heard that the kid came to LA and I personally issued orders for his arrest. But the town was invaded by the Somaliland thugs and our priorities changed accordingly. We heard that he then fled to the capital and was arrested by our gallant heroes working there. In any case, this was simply a teenager who shot a female police officer when he was about to be arrested for some petty crime. I honestly don’t believe such a story deserves all this coverage. I prefer to focus on the liberation of LA!".

Malika   

Ngonge,that was good joke for a friday morning! Lol I like how you have captured and presented the mentality of all those concerned..Lol :D