Sign in to follow this  
Suldaanka

Fighting breaks out between Somali regions

HARGEISA, Somalia, Oct 29 (Reuters) - Fighting broke out on Friday between the armies of the rival Somali territories of Puntland and Somaliland following weeks of growing tension after a former Puntland warlord was elected Somalia's new president.

Fighters from the breakaway northern enclave of Somaliland fought forces from Puntland's regional administration at the village of Adi-Addeye, about 30 km (20 miles) north of Las Anod, a flashpoint during previous flare-ups between the two armies.

Somaliland Minister of Information Abdillahi Mohamed Du'ale said 22 Puntland fighters had been captured but there no immediate word on casualties.

Somaliland Defence Minister Ismail Aden Boss told Reuters: "Forces loyal to the (Puntland) regional administration attacked Somaliland Security forces from three sides, with heavy weapons around 9.00 a.m."

He added Puntland had been reinforcing its forces in Las Anod for "some time".

Puntland and Somaliland have fought sporadic clashes for years over several eastern areas of Somaliland that Puntland's leaders claim as their own on the basis of ethnicity.

Tensions between the two regions rose sharply after lawmakers elected warlord and Puntland political boss Abdullahi Yusuf as president of Somalia at national peace talks held in neighbouring Kenya on Oct. 10.

Many in Somaliland see Yusuf as their arch foe, accusing him of instigating the clashes between Puntland and Somaliland.

On Oct. 12 the Somaliland government warned Yusuf against any attempted aggression and said it was on alert against any move to reunite Somaliland with the rest of Somalia.

Somaliland, a former British protectorate on the Gulf of Aden, declared independence from anarchic Somalia in 1991 and has since enjoyed relative peace, but is unrecognised internationally.

Puntland broke away from Somalia in 1998 to escape the militia anarchy of southern and central Somalia. It also is not recognised internationally.

The territory of 3.5 million to 4.5 million won independence from Britain in 1960 and quickly joined neighbouring ex-Italian Somalia in the south and east to form a united republic.

But an uprising against Somali dictator Mohamed Siad Barre in the 1980s was followed by years of devastation as he turned his forces against the northwestern enclave.

When Siad Barre fled the country in 1991, Somaliland split away. The rest of Somalia slid into lawlessness and clan-based factional conflict which is still continuing.

The independence of the normally peaceful enclave has never been recognised by the international community, something which rankles with many ordinary people and the government.

Local media reports said, without elaborating, that both sides were using heavy weapons and that the sound of fighting was heard in Las Anod.

In September three people were killed and four wounded in a previous flare-up.

Coloow   

Suldaanka, as a muslim somali, I am concerned by the aimless war of warmongerers. These poor soldiers on both sides of this ****** conflict are probably fasting. In this holly month of ramadaan, at least the warmongerers should have postponded with their evil plans.

I am concerned too that this website is becoming a hub for tribally based articles. Whenever, there is a conflict, ppl copy and paste articles without reading the sources, the importance of the news etc.

I was reading an article on this board by someone who listed the names/tribes of those said to have been captured. I was naive into believing that SOL was free from the tribe-plague- but I was obviously wrong.

Ramadaan kariim and let us show some restraint .

No i pasted that article because there was confusion as to who was invading whom!I was not enjoying reading the crap that was there.I am actually quite angry with what is happening especially as i had high hopes only this month when we elected the new government.This was the last thing i was expecting!!!

Caagil true that brother

There are prisoners both sides but it is despicable to publish the names or even the tribes of the prisoners. It is well below the belt to have the prisoner card as as a propaganda tool. How low can they get? redface.gif

Blessed   

Allah! This is bad, this is very bad! These people have lost it walahi; to fight over stup*d borders in the finaly days of the blessed Month. Have they no regard for their Islam or their people:

The blood and honoure of a Muslim is forbidden, why do Somalis find that soo difficult to grasp *akhas*

:(:( Allahuma jacalahu khayr.

Maybe this was more tasteful.I apologise

Laascaano:-Dagaal aad u kharaar ayaa saaka barqadii ka bilowday agagaarka Adhicadeeye halkaas oo labada Ciidan ee maamulada Soomaliland iyo Puntland ay fooda isku dareen iyagoo isdhaafsanaya hubabka madaafiicda culculus.

Dagaalkan ayaa lagu soo waramayaa inuu socday saacado badan oo labada ciidanba ay soo gaareen dhimasho ayaa dhaawac.

Ciidanka Daraawiishta ee M/Goboleedka puntland ayaa ayaamahanba heegan kaga jiray agagaarka tuulada adhicadeeye,kadib markii laga warhelay in Maamulka Riyaale ay qaban qaabinayaan dagaal ay wax ku yeelaynayaa dadka degaanka Puntland.

Dagaalkan ayaa istaagay Galinkii danbe abaarihii 04:00 galabnimo ee saacada afrikada Bari.Dagaalkan ayey ciidamada M/Goboleedka Puntland ay ku soo hooyeen guul aad u balaaran kadib markay gacanta ku dhigeen Ciidamo taabacsan maamulka Soomaaliland oo tiradooda lagu qiyaasay ilaa 35 askari oo ay ku jiraan taliyashii ciidamadan.

Ciidamada Daraawiishta M/Goboleedka puntland ayaa hataan dib ugu soo laabtay Fariisamahii ay horay ugu lahaayeen aagagaarka Adhi-cadeeye.

Sarkaal sare oo katirsan maamulka Puntland ayaa isna u cadeeyey Puntlandpost in askar aad u farabadan lagaga laayey Maamulka Riyaale Kaahin in kastoo aysan weli soo gaarin tirada Rasmiga ah ee laga laayey,ayse ogyahiin tirada rasmiga ah ee nolosha lagu qabtay oo uu ku sheegay 35 askari,Wuxuuna sarkaalku sii raaciyey hadalkiisa in lagaga gubay isla goobtaas ilaa 5 gaari oo isugu jira kuwa xanbaarsan Hubabka waayey ee madaafiicda .

Dagaalkan maanta qarxay ayaa ahaa dagaal ay waayahanba ka gaabsanayeen maamulka puntland halka ay ku cadcadaayeen maamulka Riyaale ayse u arkayeen dadka qaarkiis inuu dagaalkani yahay Dagaal siyaasadeed ee aan laga laheyn dano saas u sii fog.

Dagaalkan ayaa maanta bidhaamiyey weji colaadeed oo uu maamulka riyaale uu ku raadinayo inuu ku kala fogeeyo dadka walaalaha ee dariswadaaga ku noolaa waqtiyadii la soo dhaafay.

Axmed A/salaan

Puntlandpost,Garoowe,Soomaaliya

Intel   

Originally posted by Suldaanka:

but it is despicable to publish the names or even the tribes of the prisoners. It is well below the belt

you're dead set right there Suldaanka,

but mate i'm pretty sure you would do the same if you could get the names & tribes PL prisoners

u guys are all same shiit :mad:

FGS its Jimca & ramadan and people are dying here it ain't game

BN   

Originally posted by HornAfrique:

Where is Adi Cadeeye? Is it near Las Anod?

It is about 35 km northwest of Lasanod; here is a map

From what i heard .. Adhi Adeye IS populated and inhabited by kinsmen who belong to MIGHTY Mogadishu kinsmen.

If the frontline doesent move either towards Las Anood or towards Buroa in the comming hours... We´ll have to dispatch Mogadishu Militia to SAVE our kinsmen.

Maybe just Maybe that is what it takes to make peace up there.

Paragon   

Originally posted by J B:

From what i heard .. Adhi Adeye IS populated and inhabited by kinsmen who belong to MIGHTY Mogadishu kinsmen.

If the frontline doesent move either towards Las Anood or towards Buroa in the comming hours... We´ll have to dispatch Mogadishu Militia to SAVE our kinsmen.

Maybe just Maybe that is what it takes to make peace up there.

:D

Who expected such results in a holy month as this?

May Allah defuse this war.

Wiilo   

Waxaa Cajaa'ib ah in dad Somaali ah illaa hadda Niyah iyo Hamiba u hayaan "Dagaal" Runtii aniga aad iyo aad ayaan oga xumahay, mana jecli in aan maqlo Soomaaliya aa dagaal ka dhacay. Ka fakar dhibaatooyinka ka imaanaya dagaalka, inta dad ee ku dhimaneysa, ku gurya beeleysa. Dhinac kasta ka eeg, dagaalka waa dhib aan dhamaanin. Allaah waxaan ka baryayaa in uu Dagaalka joojiyo ummadda Soomaaliyedna is jecleysiiyo meel walba oo ay joogaan. Runtii this morning markii aan maqlay dagaal ayaa ka dhacay Laascaanood, runtii meel ayaa i xanuuntay mana garayo sida dareenkeygu yahay illaa hadda. Allaah ha joojiyo dagaalka.........Intii ku dhimatayna Allaah ha u naxariisto. Runtii waa dhib, hadda iyo dagaal cusub, may Allaah stop those who are willing to kill their brothers and sisters. Illaahayoo dhibka iyo dagaalkaba naga saar. Aamiin Aamiin.

Wabillaahi Towfiiq: