Sign in to follow this  
Peacenow

LA Times: Somalia's Mother Theresa

Juje   

lorej3.jpg

Wafdiga Q.M oo soo galaya deegaanka Xaawo Cabdi oo ay ku nool yihiin kumanaan ka barakacday magaalada Muqdisho

ElPunto   

What an impressive human being. People like her never end up wielding real political power in Somalia.

So Peacnow is this a sign you're slowly getting over your Somali hatred? :D

NASSIR   

"When an Islamist militia seized control of Mogadishu last year, Abdi wondered what it might make of an outspoken, strong-willed woman who wore a red-checkered African-style head scarf rather than a veil.

"As a woman, of course I was worried," she says. "I stayed away from Mogadishu."

The Islamist believe that women should not work at all. Would she have helped these patients if these overzealous pseudo-religious Sheikhs ruled Somalia?

Chimera   

Originally posted by Caamir:

"When an Islamist militia seized control of Mogadishu last year, Abdi wondered what it might make of an outspoken, strong-willed woman who wore a red-checkered African-style head scarf rather than a veil.

"As a woman, of course I was worried," she says. "I stayed away from Mogadishu."

The Islamist believe that women should not work at all
. Would she have helped these patients if these overzealous pseudo-religious Sheikhs ruled Somalia?

Sure that is why they employed a 1000 women strong workforce to clean up our Capital

that is why we saw images of female guards guarding our just re-opened ports eh?

reread this story Mother Somalia's toughest month since 93' was in ''april 2007''

that's was not the ICU era but the Bangladeshi administration's era of onslaught on innocent civilians redface.gif

Kashafa   

Turkey is thriving under Islamist rule with ruling party winning a resounding victory. Islamist Hamas has chased away dhabo-dhilif Fatah out of the Gaza Strip, this after winning elections last year. The Muslim Brotherhood is sweeping landslide elections in Egypt prompting the dictatorial authorities to engage in mass and illegal imprisonment. Muslim women work and participate in all fields of life, including combat, in all these countries. Including Islamic Court-run Somalia. Seems like the only way to stop the wave of 'overzealous pseuedo-religous' reform, by and for the people, is to call on Ethiopian tanks and American airpower. Clan militia being too weak and cowardly to stand in front of them steady-gunnin' boyz with the red cimaamads.

On the other hand and ironically so(dhabo-dhilifs aren't too big on irony), This is where a fowr-bointi-fife, dhabo-dhilif-led Somalia will take us ------------> Clan warfare at it's ugliest.

One day, she says, soldiers with the ***** clan swarmed the facility, looking to kill or capture patients from the ****** clan.

"You will have to kill me first," she recalls telling the armed fighters. They left and never bothered her again.

Only thing clan militias fear is the wadaads and for a good reason: Anytime they meet in combat, waala tumaa the jaat-chewing no-prayin' mooriyaaan camelherders-turned-gunmen. Hence the dire need for Ethiopian xaninyo.

My whole life I have watched my mother helping other people," the daughter says. "I will stay here forever, like my mom."

Upon hearing this, Abdi shakes her head. Nothing has made her prouder than watching her girls take up medicine, she says.

That's the spirit, sister. Somalia, more than ever, needs that noble selfless sacrifice. In all fields: Resistance, Health, Education, Politics, etc.

Inspiring article and a beacon of the khayr to come. While the likes of Dr.Abdi and her daughters exist(and they do), we've got a reason to be optimistic.

NASSIR   

Those pseudo-religious Sheikhs did little to elevate the position of women in contributing to professional or ordinary workforce. It is even arguable that they empowered women to participate the consensus building process in its defunct Council of Shura. Two things might have influenced the Wadaads to probably employ women, at some stage in their publicity campaign, in areas of street refurbishment such as the sanitation measures you mentioned. The Islamists, according to the idealistic coaching of Sayyid Qutbi, believe in that women's main responsibility is the proper training of human being but not the material production of society, hence employing them in sanitation measures, for political campaign, was to them an extension of household chores.

Your second point leads me to think arming untrained women and children was a trend that had never bothered them. You are certainly correct that we have images of veiled women and children toting Kalnishkov and ready to kill. The United Nations reported that child soldiers in Somalia, during the reign of the Islamists, was on the rise and exploitative in nature. The courts were desperate to recruit and arm both children and brainwashed women in their onslaught of military expansion and regional instability though administrative anarchy persisted in its loosely confederated units, letting cases of injustice such the execution of minorities, the showering of impulsive shot fires on restive crowd, and lack of orderly coordination among the so called independent courts, fell on deaf ears.

The troublesome courts had no clearly elucidated operational plan or practical administrative programs to accommodate the diverse groups of Somalia into their fold. As Dr. Hirsi put it, their rise was accidental and unplanned. Simply there was the transition of forced power exchange between brainwashed pseudo-religious sheikhs and warlords. However, threatening to unseat the government and stirring the Muslim population in Ethiopia to rise against the minority Christian regime, you should had known better that their back was against the wall. However, it is tragic that the same people who vowed to defend the principles of our religion are now in exile and motivating suicidal resistance against “the invasion”. I won’t be surprised with their conflicting statements. Was it not the undignified Shariif and Aweis who vowed to fight in Kismaayo and leave Mogadisho unscathed?

NASSIR   

Kashafa, The Islamist Turkey has long sought their country's integration with Europe. They are not paranoid by the prevailing perception of the radical Islamists that the West are threat to the values of Islam. It is time we do some soul searching and rescue our people from the Jahli and misery haunting them in their daily lives.

Caamir,

Some suspicions are a sin. In fact it’s a cardinal sin. Take that as a generous nugget of wisdom. Matter of fact, it’s from our Islamic tradition.

Here is where yours lacks taste: posting glaringly biased articles in support of the defunct tfg, overlooking its erroneous policies, while habitually defaming and trashing the legacy of Islamic Courts, discounting of course all the good stuff they have achieved in their brief rule--- reeks quite a extreme stance to take adeer. What’s even more radical is your insinuation that Courts had sinister motives in their effort to mobilize Mogadishu residents to clean the city from the debris caused by a decade of civil war.

^^By doing that, Caamirow, you have indeed blown on that which is no fuel, to quote al Hariri, and taken for fat what is only swollen, even as you scoff off hard facts and deny the good that was done.

Fabregas   

Caamir ýou didnt need to politicize the issue to score against the I.C.U. We have enough T.F.G and I.C.U articles and debates already..........