Sign in to follow this  
Peacenow

Should Somalia be erased from history?

Peacenow   

Originally posted by Emperor:

^Good, so its about concepts, strategies and development, nothing to do with a brand name...

So if Somalia is country that went throught one of the most horiffic difficulties and civil wars in recent history comes back, introduces good concepts, implements and develops strategies to become like Singapore or Malysia. Then it will be one of the most successful come backs with a colourful nation history, proves the resiliance and survival nature of the Somalis.

I hope that day is coming sooner...

There is nothing wrong or embaracing with going through a diffuculty, what is embaracing is not being able to figure out the solution, but that's not what you are saying, you are suggestion that we should completely abondon this name since we went through a problem. In fact, for me, its the case of what can't kill you makes you stronger, If Somalia gets back from the dust, it will get more stronger, resiliant, experienced, knowledgeable, stable and united as a result of the previous difficult. I can list all the good adjectives...

Of course it is. Who can argue for a country to dissapear. It's crazy.

Instead I'm talking about the imperative need to think strategically in a globalized world economy. What would attract Foreign direct investment and talent. Not to mention tourists to the new state?

Chimera   

Your such a weak coward, instead of standing by your country in it's darkest hour your proposing we should adapt a new sobriquet? A vietnamese kid today will hear horrible stories from his parents and how they and their parents(the kid's grandparents) suffered brutally in prison camps during the Vietcong/US war but the war-generation of Vietnam didn't abandon like cowards their country in it's darkest hour

they didn't propose stup-i-d idea's like new labels to prostitute the country to the same powers they are fighting, they instead decided then and there the next generation would not experience the same disgusting situations they experienced

They drove out the aggressors and collaborators - Didn't give two sh1ts about what the world thought about them or what their ''image'' was - They rebuild there country and established trade relations with alternative powers and look at the difference:

Yesterday

two_vietnamese_girls_114.jpe

Today

vietnamese-picture-vietnam-photo-VN8P5S7

Yesterday

f102-danang.jpg

Today

2407056mr.jpg

03080588jc.jpg

348783236klccEr_ph.jpg

Future

large_43112.JPG

Vietnam was, is and allways will be Vietnam - isolated or not - ostracized or not - Vietnam is Vietnam and Somalia is Somalia - be a coward and hide behind pseudo clan States/new names every time something unflattering comes your way, it won't matter Somalia will rebuild with or without your help.

Kool_Kat   

Originally posted by peacenow:

What I refer to is the name of the country, it's symbols, the name of the capital, the flag.

Say all the above is done, what do we do about the people? Change them too? Or they will automatically change once the names, symbols and flag are changed?

We, as people, need to change our ways...It is 'us' who made Soomaalia what it is today...Soomaaliya waxba ma galabsan, dadkeedii baa inkaar heysataa!!!

History can not be erased/changed, as much as we might want it to at times...

Well, go ask what really name-changing did in Congo Free State, err Belgian Congo, err Congo-Léopoldville, err Congo-Kinshasa, err Congo, err Zaire, err Democratic Republic of Congo, err...and their ever-changing flags as well.

Peacenow   

Originally posted by Kool_Kat:

quote:Originally posted by peacenow:

What I refer to is the name of the country, it's symbols, the name of the capital, the flag.

Say all the above is done, what do we do about the people? Change them too? Or they will automatically change once the names, symbols and flag are changed?

We, as people, need to change our ways...It is 'us' who made Soomaalia what it is today...Soomaaliya waxba ma galabsan, dadkeedii baa inkaar heysataa!!!

History can not be erased/changed, as much as we might want it to at times...
Well the people will always be there. A new 'administration' will have to handle them. The other challenge is what happens the day after. What happens when the guns fall silent.

Strategic thinking is needed in Somalia.

Successful countries market themselves like a brand. Think chocolates and you think of Switzerland.

Then this attracts- the tourists, the talented workers, the investors. More tax revenues. This in turn makes the country more 'open' and links it to the globalized economy.

If they get the basics right. Like low tax's, small goverment, fiscal prudence and low corruption. The country can spring board to high growth rates for decades.

That's why countries like Ireland have become rich in a short period of time. The Czech Republic is another good example.

Of this strategy.

Look at Singapore. It's airline company 'Singapore Airlines' is a virtual brand for the country. The better it does the better Singapore is viewed. This is not by accident. They planned this all out. The airline has a excellent reputation, because it is managed well and the service it provides. Trade off for Singapore is enormous.

My question is how can we attract the people we need to attract to make all this possible. When the name 'Somalia, Baidoa and Mogadishu' don't comfort but frighthen anyone away.

Peacenow   

Originally posted by Adam-Zayla:

Your such a weak coward, instead of standing by your country in it's darkest hour your proposing we should adapt a new sobriquet? A vietnamese kid today will hear horrible stories from his parents and how they and their parents(the kid's grandparents) suffered brutally in prison camps during the Vietcong/US war but the war-generation of Vietnam didn't abandon like cowards their country in it's darkest hour

they didn't propose stup-i-d idea's like new labels to prostitute the country to the same powers they are fighting, they instead decided then and there the next generation would not experience the same disgusting situations they experienced

They drove out the aggressors and collaborators - Didn't give two sh1ts about what the world thought about them or what their ''image'' was - They rebuild there country and established trade relations with alternative powers and look at the difference:

Yesterday

two_vietnamese_girls_114.jpe

Today

vietnamese-picture-vietnam-photo-VN8P5S7

Yesterday

f102-danang.jpg

Today

2407056mr.jpg

03080588jc.jpg

348783236klccEr_ph.jpg

Future

large_43112.JPG

Vietnam was, is and allways will be Vietnam - isolated or not - ostracized or not - Vietnam is Vietnam and Somalia is Somalia - be a coward and hide behind pseudo clan States/new names every time something unflattering comes your way, it won't matter Somalia will rebuild with or without your help.

You have me wrong. I'm not argiung for the state to be 'castrated'. Merely what should happen, if and when the guns are silent.

There are huge rewards and benefits to be made if the country can leverage the globalized 'Starbucks' world we live in today.

How best to tap into that? One way would be to yes to 'brand' the country. Change the name of the state, change the capital.

Change the name of Mogadishu to Hamar and instead make it a 'heritage' city once it can be cleaned up.

Bring in a strict style and design astethtic of the country that can easily 'brand' it. Lots can be done.

Shakespeare said, “Who steals my purse steals

trash; But he that filches from me my good name makes me poor indeed”.

Saaxiib, take that hogwash about changing Somalia's name somewhere else(ama Kombiyuutarka baan kaaga soo baxi doonaa - bahal dharbaaxo kulul ah baan kaaga fujin doonaa wajhiga.just kidding, habaqin!)

I agree with you in that most countries have reputations which they always have had and they always will have. And that reputation has a tremendous impact on the destiny of a country if it's well regarded by everyone.

Somalia indeed, is a country with a significant

"branding problem," to put it mildly. But I remain an optimist in that the brand-Somalia- isn't even all that bad. In a funny kind of way Somalia has a tremendously powerful brand in the sense that everybody everywhere in the world knows exactly what our pariah state stands for. There's no confusion about our civil conflict, poverty, disease, warlords, terrosists, you name it...

I believe these hardships once overcome can and will add value to our national brand identity, by eliciting something more than pity, of communicating that our country will offer

attractive prospects for investment, export and tourism.Insha Allah, ofcourse.

It is very important for people around the world to start to associate Somalia with great products, great infrastructure and great people (yeah right! good luck with that one... bloody Somalis)

And to that end, I want to nominate you, Mr peacenow to become our NATIONAL BRAND MINISTER. Your job will entail the systematic process of aligning the Somali peoples actions, behaviours,innovations and communications around a clear "strategy" (here's a word, you've been bugging us about) for achieving an enhanced competitive identity- Just like Singapore;)

I will give you a head start, since peace aint no where insight.

me   

Dhulqarnayn oo xanaaqsan maanta SOL ugu horaysa ayaan u malaynayaa.

Nephissa   

Give it a time addeer, Somalia will all be forgotten in 30-50yrs. By then most facts are lost from the collective memory. Those who might yet remember truths are by then discounted as suffering from senility and considered unreliable witnesses.