Sign in to follow this  
Peacenow

Should Somalia be erased from history?

Peacenow   

What I refer to is the name of the country, it's symbols, the name of the capital, the flag. The words Somalia, Baidoa and Mogadishu are seared into a negative image the world over.

If this wretched country was to ever be peaceful. How can it overcome the handicap of being called 'Somalia'?

How would it sell it itself to others, how would others invest, how would others treat us. When mention of this name is dog dirt.

Yes. I'm calling for the name and it's symbols to be retired. if people can redeem themselves why not states?

Something new and modern and will appeal to the world, should take it's place.

Something like 'Azania' or 'Banadir'. Well it's suggestion. There are millions of possibilities. A name like a 'brand' - with new symbols of state and national idenity. It can happen quickly and can produce powerful trade offs in a globalized world.

One thing is for sure. The name somalia is only fit for the bin.

Peacenow   

Originally posted by Ms DD:

When will this self-hatred stop peacenow?

PS Are you still wearing your suit in Italy?

It's not a matter of self-hatred. To hate something - something has to be already there. As of today there is no state. So one must think stratigically on how to progress.

Emperor   

Lol at a brand name, Somali is a country and not a product that needs to sale... you have been brainwashed by this western big names and brands.

Are you saying that if Somali were to change its name of the country and cities things will improve drammatically? Lool, what a silly man.

Peacenow   

Originally posted by Emperor:

Lol at a brand name, Somali is a country and not a product that needs to sale... you have been brainwashed by this western big names and brands.

Are you saying that if Somali were to change its name of the country and cities things will improve drammatically? Lool, what a silly man.

I disagree intensly. if you notice. Countries that are successful are run very much like a a successful international corporation. They do what they must - Fiscal stability, open government very well and then they go on the offensive like on international trade. Look at Singapore. That country is one huge brand. What comes to mind when you think of it? Prehaps it's national airline, which is famous for service. Prehaps it's clean green streets or the wondorous food. This is a image they crafted and worked on.

This then attracts migrants, investors, people with talent. They visit there, live there and do business. The economy grows.

They set successful conceptions and they develop on that, continiously.

Consider Somalia. What kind of advertising and marketing can change that countries image? Who would want to be associated with it? It has a terrible image. Tell you what? No one.

Emperor   

^Good, so its about concepts, strategies and development, nothing to do with a brand name...

So if Somalia is country that went throught one of the most horiffic difficulties and civil wars in recent history comes back, introduces good concepts, implements and develops strategies to become like Singapore or Malysia. Then it will be one of the most successful come backs with a colourful nation history, proves the resiliance and survival nature of the Somalis.

I hope that day is coming sooner...

There is nothing wrong or embaracing with going through a diffuculty, what is embaracing is not being able to figure out the solution, but that's not what you are saying, you are suggestion that we should completely abondon this name since we went through a problem. In fact, for me, its the case of what can't kill you makes you stronger, If Somalia gets back from the dust, it will get more stronger, resiliant, experienced, knowledgeable, stable and united as a result of the previous difficult. I can list all the good adjectives...

Thierry.   

Adeer you seem to worry about others perception all the time.

Somalia has a long history of success and prosperity this 18 year glitch is nothing compared to its past and many countries have transformed themselves to successful states post war, the Balkan states and Vietnam to name a few.

Emperor   

^Usheeg Theiry, America and the west that's he's so dearly singing their tunes have went through many civil wars and difficult conditions...

Remind him the years of Barado Starvation in Europe...

NGONGE   

Reminds me of the story of the pimp that decided to repaint the brothel so he can attract new customers. What he refused to acknowledge was the fact that his prostitutes were all disease-ridden.

Stuff and nonsense.

Peacenow   

Originally posted by Thierry.:

Emperor I think the brother is wearing too much Armani cologne, its messing with his mind.

You can ridicule as much as you want. At least some of us are thinking strategically rather beyond the next khat or heroin sale.

Thierry.   

loool adeer changing a countries name because of recent civil war is not your remedy to a Problem. I don’t like Ngonge analogy but there is some truth in it.

Just watch the country adverts in CNN, former war ravaged countries like Montenegro are promoting the positive sides of their country, so change the substance and not the brand

Ps: Read some Frantz Fanon books it might be your personal remedy.

Castro   

peacenow, have faith brother. When times are tough, as they are now, it helps to have faith, however little.

Somalia will rise again. May be not in our lifetimes but it will. And stop posting these depressing topics.

Cheer up dude.

The brother's thinking isn't that bad, but as others have said, it is NOT a product, it is a country. And this association or anyone having anything to do with the name of Somalia is wrong. Once things take a positive turn, and you have raised your game, everyone would want to have everything to do with you.

Bro, impossible is nothing, and as brothers said, have faith in your people. WE CAN GET UP ON TO OUR FEET AGAIN, INSHA ALLAH.