Sign in to follow this  
xiinfaniin

No Al-Qaeda in Somalia.

Islamic leader says Al-Qaeda does not exist in Somalia

Monday, April 16, 2007

Mogadishu, Somalia (AP) - The leader of a radical Islamic movement that ruled much of southern Somalia before being driven out in December said "there is no Al-Qaeda in Somalia," disputing allegations that the group has links to the terrorist organisation.

Sheik Sharif Sheik Ahmed, chairman of the Council of Islamic Courts, has rarely spoken in public since his forces were ousted during a swift operation led by troops from neighbouring Ethiopia.

The United States and other Western powers have long accused the group of having links to terrorism.

"Let me tell you there is no Al-Qaeda in Somalia," Ahmed told Al-Jazeera television in an interview broadcast on Monday.

He said his movement "doesn't have any relationship with Al-Qaeda. It was chosen by the Somali people to serve clear objectives and aims and they were achieved."

The interview was conducted in the last week in the gulf state of Qatar.

The Islamic group's strict interpretation of Islam drew comparisons to the former Taliban regime in Afghanistan, with its leaders terrifying residents into submission with the threat of public executions and floggings.

But many Somalis credited the council with bringing a semblance of order to the country.

Since the Islamic movement was ousted by Somali government troops and their Ethiopian backers, Somalia has endured some of the heaviest fighting in more than a decade, with attacks blamed on insurgents linked to the Islamic group.

Four days of bloodshed that started in late March killed hundreds of people -- and possibly more than 1,000 -- in the worst fighting in 15 years.

On Sunday, the chairman of a committee planning a peace and reconciliation conference said the meeting would be held June 14 -- the second time it has been postponed.

"We are trying to reconcile the Somali clans and we are waiting for international support," Ali Mahdi Mohmamed said.

Also Sunday, insurgents battled Ethiopian and Somali troops using machine guns and mortars.

The death toll was not immediately clear; one day earlier, two Somali soldiers were fatally shot in the back in an ambush.

The battles in March started when Ethiopian troops used tanks and attack helicopters in an offensive to crush insurgents.

The militants reject any secular government, and have sworn to fight until Somalia becomes an Islamic emirate.

The UN refugee agency says more than 200,000 people have fled Mogadishu since the beginning of February.

Somalia has been mired in chaos since 1991, when warlords overthrew dictator Mohamed Siad Barre and then turned against each other.

A national government was established in 2004, but has failed to assert any real control.

Source: AP, April 16, 2007

Lake   

I think everybody knew even the TFG supporters Al Qeda in Somalia was used as a pretext to go to war.

Tahliil   

Come on the report is missin the point....how could they not find alqayda in Somalia when they have yeey the vampire and his masters terrorizin innocent civilians...??

Isn't alqayda on the international watch lists simply because they terrorize the innocent....???

equate the three and then u have yeey being alqayd.

Alqayda= terrro group

Yeey = terrro vampire

Warlords= terrro thugs

unless alqayd means something else, i don't see how they couldn't find them in somalia....

Ebyan   

Please, I trust the words of my family members more than I trust the words of Sharif Ahmed( who called for 'jihad' and then surrendered ). Foreign fighters were spotted in Kismaayo, Hasan Dahir Aweys has ties to Al-Qaeda and he's also on the U.S. terrorist list..So yeah, there were Al-qaeda members in Somalia.

Originally posted by Violet:

Please, I trust the words of my family members more than I trust the words of Sharif Ahmed( who called for 'jihad' and then surrendered ). Foreign fighters were spotted in Kismaayo, Hasan Dahir Aweys has ties to Al-Qaeda and he's also on the U.S. terrorist list..So yeah, there were Al-qaeda members in Somalia.

Ladies & Gentlemen, Please give a round of applause to our qaxoti version of the right wing nutcase, Anne Coulter.

Forko Jembe!!!

Ebyan   

I call 'em like I see 'em. Sharif Ahmed and his group called on Jihadi Joes around the world to unite and make Somalia another Iraq. If that fact doesn't sit well with you, sue me.

Originally posted by Violet:

I call 'em like I see 'em. Sharif Ahmed and his group called on Jihadi Joes around the world to unite and make Somalia another Iraq. If that fact doesn't sit well with you, sue me.

OK Walashis,Thank you for that wonderful commentary. I didnt know You were the Pundit, The "Tekhokhist analyst" if you will on radio demensia; call them as you see them. smile.gif

Asta la vista Madame!

"No Al-Qaeda in Somalia"

No clan courts leaders in Somalia either. Which is a good thing, since they got chased out so did Al-Qaeda, the remaining cells will be uprooted insha Allah.

clan court, amxaaro court whats the difference they both got strings attached to them. this woke up the somali court...! we are the ones now in it to the end. amxaaro court, your turn to run for the border.

get ready.

Fabregas   

There were only a few people who were not Somali helping the I.C.U. Anway, when did being a foreigner in Somalia make you Alqaeda? When did calling on "jihadis" make you Alqaeda? The American media who labels them as "Jihadis" were calling them "freedom figher Mujahideen" yesterday during the Soviet war.The same ones, who send their American/English Jewish children to join the Israeli army. Now, ignorant muslims are blindly copying the words regurgitated to them by the Zionist media. Dahir Aweys is on the list of the U.S, but they didn't do jack to him when he was in DJibouti and Sacudiya. The people who said there was thousands of Oromos and Pakistanis in Kismayo were complete and utter tribalists. Even when the Americans rained poisonous gases on Somali nomads they couldn't find one single alqaeda.

During the time of Imam Ahmad Gurey hundreds of Jebertis, Yemenis and Turmkmen were assisting the great Imam. A Muslim is a brother to a fellow Muslim. Those who strive to assist and help the dear brothers and sisters, when they are in need are among the greatest of the Muslims. No better people walk on the face of this earth. They leave their lives, families and wealth for the sake of Allah. They are the heroes you don't see in in Holywood films. They are on the sunnah of Muhammad saw and inshallah they will be rewarded. Those who accuse them of terrorism should come up with the evidence of which innoncent people they killed. Those who call them fanatics, should show the evidence for the fanaticism they carried out. They should also know that Allah swt will bring to account for the words they utter.

Ms DD   

Salaam

Al-Qaeda in Puntland!

I have seen many Arabs in Boosaaso. Surely they cant be anything else, but that!

KKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Mass destruction weapons in Iraq ,,,,,, where is it ???

Osama Bin Laden in Afghanistan ,,,,,,,, where is he ???

Al-Qaeda in Somalia ,,,,, where are they ???