xiinfaniin

P.I.S: A Poor Imitation of Mogadishu Antiterrorism Alliance

Bus xaggaaya jiilaal balyaday, qaranka oo biifay

Barin doog leh nayluhu gugay, baqalyo rooraane

Baakiro tarkeed waw bishaa, laba bakuuroode

Bintadii lahayd dhaan hadday, uga buseylayso

Birisku biyaha ceel ma sido, mana baqool daayo

---Raage Ugaas

In this thread, we will (IA) discuss the PIS epidemic, and the threat it poses to the security and stability of Puntland. We will draw valid analogies from the hastily set up, defeated Mogadishu alliance, that was bankrolled by western intelligence communities to combat perceived terrorism on the expense of local interests. We will point out that the mischief this outfit spreads in the name of fighting terrorism will truly outweigh the little benefits, if any, it may bring. And finally, we will erect signposts for, and share recipes in achieving stability for the people of Puntland, and for Somalis in general.

As we facilitate the discussion, we will ensure that the readily excitable amongst us will be kept in check.

Knowledge, and justice will defeat those on the fringes , not hired mercenaries to kill in return of earning their daily bread.

This discussion shall commence tomorrow insha Allah.

Liibaan   

PIS is minor problem, the problem is bigger

You should say Faroole's Poor Imitation of Mogadishu Antiterrorism Alliance, for example Galgala will backfire, and Faroole will pay a heavy price

Xudeedi   

Dear xiinfaniin, I start with this quote,

When President Abdirahman Mohamed (Faroole) first came to the office in Puntland, he promised to reform the economic and security sectors of the state. Conversely, he failed to get in the affairs of PIS, for the reason that they are a separate entity under the false pretext of Puntland State.
Their main donors are westerners who lack the competency to understand the convoluted political atmosphere in Somalia. Nowadays,  the term "terrorism" became a mechanism to withdraw western tax payers' money in order to pursue personal/tribal goals.
People of Puntland should stand up against these tyrannical leaders who could lead us into a period of devastation and mistrust. It is time for President Abdirahman to take full control of his administration or succumb to a new re-invigorated inter-clan warfare.

Amistad   

Originally posted by Xudeedi:

Dear xiinfaniin,
I start with this quote,

quote:

When President Abdirahman Mohamed (Faroole) first came to the office in Puntland, he promised to reform the economic and security sectors of the state. Conversely, he failed to get in the affairs of PIS, for the reason that they are a separate entity under the false pretext of Puntland State.
Their main donors are westerners who lack the competency to understand the convoluted political atmosphere in Somalia. Nowadays,  the term "terrorism" became a mechanism to withdraw western tax payers' money in order to pursue personal/tribal goals.
People of Puntland should stand up against these tyrannical leaders who could lead us into a period of devastation and mistrust. It is time for President Abdirahman to take full control of his administration or succumb to a new re-invigorated inter-clan warfare.

Not as uncommon as you may think. The CIA made the same mistakes in Afghanistan, not understanding Clan & Tribal loyalties and long running blood feuds. While supporting one tribe they consider friendly, this tribe was also killing other tribes allied with US and Coalition interests. Big mistake!

The funders are to blame, in not setting good policy and standards for the funding, not the fund-ees.

Taleexi   

"Fund-ees", if that is a word, have to be blamed too why? because if you are in a leadership position, you are not only a leader for your subclan but rather for all clans in your dominion therefore, if you misuse your power and subjugate others then you are as well to be blamed.

Amistad   

that would fall back on policy and the standards of the "Funders". You choose the wrong people in the leadership position, then they shouldnt have been funded in the first place.

I dont claim to be an expert on PIS. Most of what I have heard is mostly internet details which can be shaky sometimes at best depending on what slanted Somali news websites I read, but it seems fairly certain to me that Puntland State should have been given some more control of the car steering PIS. That would also fall back on the Funders responsibility.

I seem to remember the Agency funding certain undesirable warlords if I'm not mistaken. You see any parallel lines there?

Shilling   

Xiin,

Everything about the PIS isn't all bad, it might not be doing great job in halting the departments eroding public support, it does however serves as a deterrent to enemies of the state. It is a well know fact many of the states enemy operate with great caution to avoid the PIS attention. Insha'Allah in time the state will implement credible, transparent security sector reform, with domestic and foreign stakeholder input, that introduces professionalism, transparency, and civilian oversight into the security agencies. Now is not the time though, tough times call for tough measures.

Originally posted by Shilling:

Xiin,

Everything about the PIS isn't all bad, it might not be doing great job in halting the departments eroding public support, it does however serves as a deterrent to enemies of the state. It is a well know fact many of the states enemy operate with great caution to avoid the PIS attention. Insha'Allah in time the state will implement credible, transparent security sector reform, with domestic and foreign stakeholder input, that introduces professionalism, transparency, and civilian oversight into the security agencies. Now is not the time though, tough times call for tough measures.

Good points. I think Xiin is set on the the old PIS where during A/Y reign they use to snach innocent Ulama for rendition in the so called war against terror. That dispicable practice has ended.

Today's PIS is being reformed, the head of the organization has been replaced by Faroole showing that there is civilian control of the agency. Still there needs to be more reforms to bring it under the complete control of the state. Of course that won't happen until the funding comes from the state and that is the sorry state of Somalia at the present time. Beggers can't be choosers.

The opponents of PIS, mainly alshabaab and their supporters are not interested in reforming PIS but would like to see it dismantled to make it easier for them to continue their terrorism in Puntland. Those in the diaspara are naive and are unaware of the danger of foreign inpired and controlled jihadists who have taken hold of the south and are slowing inching up north.

Som@li   

^When did it ended? How many people has recently been handed over to Ethiopians? How many were killed?

Mate, nothing has changed, PIS is kidnapping, murdering/torturing/handing over sheikhs, citizens every day.

PIS is a serious threat to Faroole as well, I don't think he has the guts to try to transform them, Isaga lafiisa uga baqi.

Xiin, Soo waad Sheekada.